The Last of Us: The Show!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/last-of-us-hbo-series-finds-its-director-with-beanpole-filmmaker-exclusive?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

HBO’s The Last of Us has found a new director.

Russian filmmaker Kantemir Balagov, the Cannes darling behind drama Beanpole, has been tapped to direct the pilot for the adaptation of the hit video game.

Craig Mazin, the creator of HBO’s acclaimed limited series Chernobyl, is writing and executive producing with Neil Druckmann, the writer and creative director of the game.

The marriage of Balagov and Last of Us shows that HBO is aiming for a serious dramatic tone for the adaptation.

Balagov, who is of Circassian origin, is best known for directing the somber Russian-language dramas Closeness and Beanpole. Closeness, about a poor family in a small town dealing with a kidnapping, was well-received when  it debuted at the Cannes Film Festival in 2017, resulting in Balagov winning the festival’s FIPRESCI Prize in the Un Certain Regard competition.

Beanpole told of the twisty and dark relationship between two women in the aftermath of the Second World War’s Siege of Leningrad. The 2019 movie won Balagov the Un Certain Regard award for best director and his second FIPRESCI Prize.  The film was also selected as Russia’s submission in the best international feature film category for the 2020 Academy Awards.

On 20/11/2020 at 21:35, Broker said:

I already watched this show, in between playing occasional bits of game. Not sure what this will bring. 

Not everybody who watches TV series plays videogames.
Just like how many people watched Game of Thrones never read the books.

1 minute ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Uh.... Hooray? :unsure:

??

This is a thread about the HBO series so surely it's news that they found a director and an acclaimed one at that?

14 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

??

This is a thread about the HBO series so surely it's news that they found a director and an acclaimed one at that?

Didn't mean to offend you with my ignorance of whoever the fuck Kantemir Balagov is. Perhaps I should immerse myself in Russian cinema for a while, maybe take on a ballet or two. 

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The Mandalorian has been cast as Joel and Lyanna Mormont from Game of Thrones is Ellie.

I wonder if this means that those Mandalorian rumours about Pedro Pascal leaving the show were true. Of course, he could do both shows if the scheduling fits.

Bella Ramsey was brilliant as Lyanna Mormont. Another successful UK export to America, then! I wonder how good her accent will be. 

Anyway, nothing wrong with this cast so far. I wonder how far they will follow the games’ storylines.

On 08/03/2020 at 16:54, Moz said:

People are saying Kaitlin Dever all over the place, and that's a good idea in some respects (excellent actress!) but she's 23. Ellie's 14.

Having thought about it for at least 40 seconds, my first choice for Ellie would be Bella Ramsey. She's the right age, she's an excellent actress, she's got some grit and she's worked with countless veterans already on Game Of Thrones. Do an American accent, don't do an American accent, I don't mind.

1C0542C4-4BED-4D19-8981-7BD50B2285A6.jpeg

I shall go ahead and take all the upvotes now thank you. 

To be fair, since I sent that tweet Pedro Pascal has rather cornered the market on homicidal surrogate father figures.

Obviously I assume he didn’t see my tweet but I’m the only person who ever tweeted that name at him and he replied/liked other tweets of mine around the same time. About inverted controls I think. So who knows. 

Anyway, better get practicing Take On Me lassie! I wouldn’t bother with most of her other vids though, they seem to all be about Jesus...

Twitter advanced searched seems to show that I'm the only person who ever tweeted at him about Bella Ramsey or mentioned TLOU and her in the same sentence, so if she's terrible you can all blame me.

I’m not sure I can see Bella Ramsey as Ellie. Yes, she was scene-stealing in GoT, but I didn’t like her in His Dark Materials. I hope I’m wrong though. At least she’s the correct age to play Ellie, and grow with the character, rather than some younger looking mid 20’s actors who end up looking way too old by the time season 3 comes around.

4 hours ago, Moz said:

To be fair, since I sent that tweet Pedro Pascal has rather cornered the market on homicidal surrogate father figures.

Obviously I assume he didn’t see my tweet but I’m the only person who ever tweeted that name at him and he replied/liked other tweets of mine around the same time. About inverted controls I think. So who knows. 

Anyway, better get practicing Take On Me lassie! I wouldn’t bother with most of her other vids though, they seem to all be about Jesus...

Twitter advanced searched seems to show that I'm the only person who ever tweeted at him about Bella Ramsey or mentioned TLOU and her in the same sentence, so if she's terrible you can all blame me.

This is a long way of saying: "I don't think I cast this but yes I absolutely do think I cast this."

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Why do we need the story of Joel and Ellie again? We already know that. Are there really no other stories in the LoU world to tell? 

Who is "we"? I have no idea of the story.

7 hours ago, LiMuBai said:

I’m not sure I can see Bella Ramsey as Ellie. Yes, she was scene-stealing in GoT, but I didn’t like her in His Dark Materials. I hope I’m wrong though. At least she’s the correct age to play Ellie, and grow with the character, rather than some younger looking mid 20’s actors who end up looking way too old by the time season 3 comes around.

Watch that sci-fi short I posted. She doesn’t look the part but she feels the part. 

I really hope this is good. I would be perfectly happy if the first series followed the story of the first game exactly. And then I fully expect a Twitter meltdown if the second series follows the second game exactly. 

12 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Sorry, I just assumed that people on a video game forum would be familiar with one of the biggest games of the last decade. 

That doesn't mean we play them all at the same time. I only played it last month.

It might work better as a tv series as it is obvious that is what Neil Druckman really wants to make, a tv series or film. i didn't like the videogame as it felt like a bunch of cut scenes bolted to some stealth/action gameplay. The problem for me  was that the story felt stretched over a looooong videogame as it is chunks of a film/tv show with gameplay inserted. Also character motivations may well work better in a screen adaptation as we don't have to do hrs of neck stabbings in between heartfelt character building scenes.

13 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

I really hope this is good. I would be perfectly happy if the first series followed the story of the first game exactly. And then I fully expect a Twitter meltdown if the second series follows the second game exactly. 

If the ending isn’t shot-for-shot word-for-word I’ll be unhappy. That ending haunted me for years.