The Last of Us: The Show!

BitterToad

• 2 months later...

Oh what? Shame but if anything that suggests they are taking their time and investing in this. I have this feeling that THIS is the one, this is the break-through moment for tv/film adaptations based on a game. That isn't just hugely popular but well acclaimed too.

You can quote me later on that

56 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Oh what? Shame but if anything that suggests they are taking their time and investing in this. I have this feeling that THIS is the one, this is the break-through moment for tv/film adaptations based on a game. That isn't just hugely popular but well acclaimed too.

You can quote me later on that

Well, Arcane already did that. But for live action, yeah, it will probably be the new standard. Just look at the directors they got for this. 

HBO gave this a huge budget and got an acclaimed creator to work on it, that's about as good a foundation as you can hope for with any project.

Though saying all that, I had a look at Craig Mazin's CV and it ever so slightly gives you an amber warning, depends if Chernobyl was a fluke.

Edit - He's also co-written the Borderlands film so if he is truly gifted, he'll manage to make both a great TV and film adaption in the same year.

• 6 months later...

Obviously I can’t speak with great confidence after seeing such a short clip, but Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey still feel like the wrong actors for these roles. I appreciate they’re not just trying to remake the game scene by scene, but if that’s the case then it was a bad decision to promote the show with a small re-enactment that had none of the emotional weight of the original. 

1 hour ago, mexos said:

I'm not sure, I saw a little clip and... dunno it's like the uncanny valley in reverse. Just felt off to me. Obvs I will watch them though.

I hear ya. The game characters are so ingrained that to use actors which look so unlike their game counterparts is a little jarring for me. I’m sure the performances will win me over but these clips are doing nothing for me at the moment. I’m excited to see it regardless.

On 22/08/2022 at 08:00, Pelekophoros said:

Momentary confusion at the dragon.

I still can’t work out why there’s a dragon in the trailer. Fancy giving me a clue?

1 minute ago, JPL said:

I still can’t work out why there’s a dragon in the trailer. Fancy giving me a clue?

Because it's clipped from a general HBO Max trailer, not just Last of Us.

• 1 month later...

That looks fantastic. It's weird seeing such recognisable characters played by different actors - everything they show in the trailer seems to have replicated the look of the game exactly (some of the shots could have come from the PS5 remake) with the exception of the people, because none of them exist. Even the clothes are the same. It'll no doubt take a bit of getting used to, but it still looks great.

23 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I am ready to spaff another £10 for a subscription service just to watch this!!

X 3 as there will probably be more than 8 weekly episodes. Unless you hold off and binge towards the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Will they do something new is my biggest question. Or will the first season basically be the first game? 

will be very much TheWalkingDead where it’s hitting the same major notes as the source but with some deviations between. I read somewhere that it has the same father/son duo but they have a very different back story for example.

am sure, like the walking dead, they will have fun playing with the gamers expectations and taking detours when least expected. I don’t think gamers in general have high regard for the ‘story’ of LOU1, as in the smaller beats of the story at least. It’s really about the relationship and the bants, which is why I find it odd that this trailer doesn’t really showcase any of that dynamic.

That’s extremely promising stuff. They’ve captured the aesthetic and tone and texture of that world better than I would have thought possible. Hope the clickers don’t look too silly.

53 minutes ago, Capwn said:

It’s really about the relationship and the bants, which is why I find it odd that this trailer doesn’t really showcase any of that dynamic.

It is a teaser not a trailer. So this getting little dialog, lots of fast cuts over a slow song is the type of stuff you normally expect to get in a teaser nowadays.

Great trailer. There seems to be some excellent buzz around this show. I wouldn't be surprised if this does HotD esque numbers (and like Edgerunners will boost sales of the game).

16 hours ago, Ry said:

Will they do something new is my biggest question. Or will the first season basically be the first game? 

It will cover the first game and Left Behind, but it won't be 1:1 and there will be new stuff as well.