rllmuk
Silent Runner

Devs - Alex Garland sci-fi TV show

I've been watching this following its US showing - last episode is downloading now.  Been brilliant so far!

Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the last episode as well. I think this is tremendous stuff, and after Ex Machina, Annihilation and this, Garland has firmly moved into the category of people whose work I'm thirsty for.

• Upvote 1

The finale did not disappoint. What a cracking show!

I eagerly await Garland's next project, whatever it may be.

2 hours ago, Sabreman said:

Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the last episode as well. I think this is tremendous stuff, and after Ex Machina, Annihilation and this, Garland has firmly moved into the category of people whose work I'm thirsty for.

Yeah I was never really a massive fan of The Beach or The Tesseract (think it was that) but all his sci fi stuff I love. Really looking forward to ep 2 on BBC 2 tonight. 

Wow - that last episode delivered in a way I didn't think was going to happen.

Spoilers for the whole 8 episodes below. 

Spoiler

I absolutely loved that and I was nearly shouting when Lilly threw the gun away. It seemed to flip the whole show on it's head but at the same time it made sense as well. The visuals were particularly good this week - the 'lift' chamber in particular. 

The reveal of the projects real name was clever I thought and made for a nice link to one of Garlands other works - Ex Machina. I think it has a lot in common with Ex Mac - a tech genius casting morality aside for the sake of his vision etc. And I only found out today the woman in Ex Machina who has the disco dance with Oscar Isaac is the woman who plays Lilly in this. 

Overall I though this was superb. Maybe not enough story for 8 episodes but I'm happy I watched it all and can't wait to see what Garland does next.

• Upvote 5

22 hours ago, multi said:

That's great @Nick R, all wrapped up before the end of the month.

Must admit though, I was a bit disappointed that after the first ep. tonight the announcer didn't say "you can now continue to watch all episodes on iPlayer" or they didn't try the ITV/Channel 5 gambit of showing them on consecutive nights. 

Netflix has spoiled us.

(Edit - just re-read earlier comments and it seems there's more than six episodes? So not wrapped up by end of the month. Not complaining though)

All eight episodes are now up on IPlayer.

• Upvote 4

Oh yeah man! Came in to post the good news myself. Looks like it's going to be a late night tonight.

Yep, great ending! I thought the show dipped slightly in the middle but now that I’ve seen the whole thing, that doesn’t really matter. Fantastic show overall.

I don't think it quite nailed the landing but overall, I greatly appreciated what it was trying to do and am glad to have seen it. Plus, y'know, it just looked absurdly gorgeous throughout.

Ok I'm on ep.5 now and have just found out that 

Spoiler

Linden is supposed to be a 19 year old?

C'mon, either there is an extra level going on with the time travel stuff that I haven't quite worked out yet, or the proverbial policemen are all getting younger?

• Upvote 1

Not really a spoiler from episode 2 just a comment a character makes, and possibly the truest thing anyone has ever said about anything.

Spoiler

You listen to bop, Coltrane, no? Then you don’t know shit about music. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Not really a spoiler from episode 2 just a comment a character makes, and possibly the truest thing anyone has ever said about anything.

Reveal hidden contents

You listen to bop, Coltrane, no? Then you don’t know shit about music. 

The subtitles had that phrase as

Spoiler

"Bach, Coltrane".

I loved the style of it all. The excellent use of sound and music with bold opening sequences brought to mind Watchmen and Legion which did similar things.

Bit confused by one bit in the finale:

Spoiler

When he says "we're in the many worlds now" and "we lucked out" does that mean when they were placed in the system other versions of them were created? 

In fact, there's probably lots of bits I was confused by in the finale

Spoiler

Like, now that lily has 'broken' their system by throwing the gun away, can they still no longer see past the point of lily's death?

But I loved it all the same. Personally

Spoiler

I'd have spent all me time looking at dinosaurs!

Imagine if a system like this was ever made, the power and by extension the abuse of power. It would be hellish. 

Absolutely loved it, and the presentation and sound design was something else.

I just watched this whole series in a day. It’s fucking brilliant and the best thing I have seen in years.

I love Garland and I think this might be his best work yet.

Yeah, that really was something. Binged it today myself. I love Garland's stuff, Ex Machina is one of my favourite sci-fi movies, but this.. Just so good! SUCH a mindfuck.

Spoilers for the big reveal, I think episode 2 so definitely don’t read unless you’ve watched at least that far. 

Spoiler

When we are first shown what Devs is, and the lead up to it. I just found that footage of Christ spellbinding, like I was totally there in the moment and bought it completely. Really superbly executed and I think one of the most amazing on screen reveals ever despite it not requiring anything technically never before seen, perhaps because of that, but it was just like - fucking hell. To be able to put the viewer in the right frame of mind to pull that off is quite an exceptional skill. Up until then the show hadn’t really shown it’s hand and it was more a murder mystery computer espionage spy thriller type thing. But from that point it was like, boom, the stakes are raised. 

• Upvote 1

This is great, but a science point of view (mid season spoiler)

Spoiler

When she asks what's her face to name a non-deterministic event why doesn't she say radioactive decay? 

It's frustrating as this is the definition of a random event, so much so Einstein refused to believe it could be random and spent most of his life trying to show it wasn't. Also all the other science is mostly right so this stuck out for me.

One of the revelations of quantum physics was that it meant the universe might not be deterministic.

Anyway, good recommendation thanks.

• Upvote 1

Started watching last night and stayed for a second episode - it’s good! Looking forward to continuing. 

Finished this last night, it really is very good, I wasn't keen on Annihilation but loved Deus Ex Machina and this was a worthy successor to that film. Great visuals and score too.

Up to Episode 5 now (its all on the iPlayer now) and its so gratifying to have some decent high ideas sci-fi. Love the intro sequences, all different, and the music score is brilliant at times, a real mood shifter. 

The only negative I have is the swearing, it's so out of place at times and can be ridiculiously OTT, it cheapens what is a great story and script.

18 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I don't even remember any swearing! There can't have been that much of it.

I think if you put it all toghether through the series you get to near Lewbowski levels.

Might have to watch it again. I recommended this to a mate and he's just texted me after watching the first episode, to say that the acting's pretty bad. :unsure: