F1 Manager 22 (Frontier)

T Pot

56 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Feels like it's still bugged. I'll keep an eye on it. There's definitely a difference between tyre degradation and the drop-off in pace, and I've been going Medium-Hard 1-stop strategies in races with good results.

Cheers, hopefully it’ll be patched swiftly.

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Thanks still very very lacking 

Yeah, your options seem to be red on a dark background or yellow on a dark background

2 hours ago, Wallace said:

Feels like it's still bugged. I'll keep an eye on it. There's definitely a difference between tyre degradation and the drop-off in pace, and I've been going Medium-Hard 1-stop strategies in races with good results.

On console, there's only font colour options, nothing on dark UI or scaling.

Yup, the five sliders are the only set-up options that I can see. It's like a slightly more complicated version of Motorsport Manager.

I think that's a perfect description of the entire game, and in some ways Motorsport Manager does things better (car development for example)

16 minutes ago, wev said:

I think that's a perfect description of the entire game, and in some ways Motorsport Manager does things better (car development for example)

Yeah pretty much! I do love Motorsport Manager and wish they would do a proper sequel on PC.

Second race of the season went a little better, Latifi 18th, Albon 19th. Albon could have got 17th but I fluffed his strategy and his tyres fell off a cliff with 3 laps to go.

20220829103058_1.thumb.jpg.ee3c065e40d8643bc12fed4d56795ee3.jpg

Beginning to think Practice sessions and tweaking your setup makes no difference, I've not had any car upgrades come through but just done qualy for Australia and its basically a forgone conclusion that Albon will qualify 19th, usually 0.3 seconds behind Stroll and Latifi will be about 0.6 seconds behind Albon, I expected Latifi to out qualify Albon this time as we managed to get his set up into a window where he had "Goods" for each of the attributes but it made no difference.

I very much think there are issues under the hood that need to be tweaked/balanced - tyre compound pace differences being one. Seems like they're aware and working on a bunch of that stuff already, which is good to hear. Hopefully they're things that are a matter of stat balancing rather than big code chunk overhauls.

Been playing a bit over the weekend and I like it. It's a good starting point for the series. Create a Team is a bit of a miss, but I can understand why it's not in there for this year. It looks great, and I don't actually mind the setups being the way they are too much. I'm kind of more interested in the overall picture of management, so digging around with suspension packers and rebound rates etc would probably seem a little too fiddly for me.

Hopefully after a couple of patches, the stuff surrounding the race weekends will be solid. The development stuff is quite good, too. What I'd like to see for F1 Manager 23 is them fleshing out the other side of the sport and working with the FOM to get some stuff in that I am imagining licensing frowns on currently. Livery and chassis changes are going to be very difficult to implement I'd imagine, but having a calendar that changes each season should be somewhat more simple. Freshen things up and make it feel like the world is changing.

I would also not necessarily mind interviews/media stuff being added - allow the player to choose responses that affect car development, driver negotiations and the like. Don't overegg the pudding on it and have it happen all the time, but throw in the option to do it at certain points. Basically, they've got the nuts and bolts of the sport nicely down, they just need to flesh it out with the other parts of the circus so your save game becomes its own little unique evolving world...

... wonder if Frontier are considering adding to their design team any time soon? Always wanted to match up my day job with my passion. :sherlock:

Oh, I definitely like it, just pointing out things I think are currently lacking. Like @Wallacesays, its an endorsed and prettier Motorsport Manager and I was hoping for a bit more depth than that offers. There's alot to like here but also alot for them to add and/or improve upon, too much at once and it risked being broken from the start.

On 27/08/2022 at 13:01, wev said:

Just done my first race weekend (as Williams).

Crofty can fuck off.

Cars seem to spin out in a really weird way, like the game has just rolled a dice and then oo they're off.

Did you enable Latifi mode when you selected Williams?

20 minutes ago, layten said:

Did you enable Latifi mode when you selected Williams?

That's the odd thing, it's not Latifi thats spun so far he's had 3 clean (but slow) races.

But when you watch a replay of a car spinning it's like they've been hit by a sniper, it all looks fine then "whoops"

Anyway, if Ferrari want a new strategist, I've just bolted some softs onto Latifis car after thinking there was 8 laps to go when in fact there's 18

8 hours ago, kiroquai said:

I very much think there are issues under the hood that need to be tweaked/balanced - tyre compound pace differences being one. Seems like they're aware and working on a bunch of that stuff already, which is good to hear. Hopefully they're things that are a matter of stat balancing rather than big code chunk overhauls.

I worry it might need more than a tweak! Tyre compounds are so fundamental that they must’ve known about this issue for some time. Just another Publisher/Developer (no doubt bound by contracts in this case) that expects you to preorder and wait for a patch.

Jeez the commentary in that twitter clip is even worse than I expected. Gonna hold off on this for now but good news that there's hope for the game/series in the future.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, deerokus said:

They're dropping this already. I bought it because of the good reviews and regret it. It's ok but very half-baked.

https://www.eurogamer.net/frontier-ending-support-for-f1-manager-2022-less-than-two-months-after-release

I'll not be buying the next one.

Yep, they don’t deserve any support. Release a shoddy licensed game they knew would sell and then drop it.