rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Paulando

Puzzle Games

10 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Portal 2. The perfect co-op puzzle game.

Yep, Portal 2 is wonderful. I never found anyone good enough at puzzle games to play through the co op stages though :lol:

• Empathy 1

On 13/03/2020 at 14:33, GamesGamesGames said:

Stephen's Sausage Roll

Spacechem

Both great.

Puzzle games, and particularly the ones in the first post, are easily my favourite type of game. Stephen's Sausage Roll is the daddy of them. With a handful of simple rules the game offers an surprising depth of challenge.

A bit like The Witness and The Swapper a new concept is thrown in every once in a while and the subsequent levels then iterate on them in interesting and mind bending ways, so almost every puzzle the game throws at you feels like an accomplishment.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MechE said:

Puzzle games, and particularly the ones in the first post, are easily my favourite type of game. Stephen's Sausage Roll is the daddy of them. With a handful of simple rules the game offers an surprising depth of challenge.

A bit like The Witness and The Swapper a new concept is thrown in every once in a while and the subsequent levels then iterate on them in interesting and mind bending ways, so almost every puzzle the game throws at you feels like an accomplishment.

I definitely need to spend more time with Stephen’s Sausage Roll! It’s a shame there’s no mobile/Switch port. As you say, the key ingredient of a really great puzzler is constantly introducing you to new concepts, then twisting them around to melt your brain.

It’s one of the reasons the latest Box Boy game was so disappointing: it takes its time teaching the player a new mechanic over far too many stages, but there’s no twist, and then the game moves on to something else.

Nowhere near as good as Portal but vaguely similar and still decent enough is QUBE.

Oh, and the answer to the question is, of course, Professor Layton.

On 13/03/2020 at 11:20, Paulando said:
On 13/03/2020 at 11:09, Qazimod said:

This reminds me of something like Piczle Lines, which I also enjoy a lot: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/piczle-lines-dx/id1015862103

I had this on my old iPhone ages ago and mention of it prompted me to download it again.

I only mention this in order to point out that you made me do this you bastard.

On 14/03/2020 at 22:49, deKay said:

Nowhere near as good as Portal but vaguely similar and still decent enough is QUBE.

I remember finding Q.U.B.E. a little naff when I played it, but I started Q.U.B.E. 2 last night and it’s actually pretty great. I’m not sure how the two games differ, but the sequel seems more polished. The setup is very similar to Portal/Portal 2, and although it’s not quite as refined as either of those games, it’s definitely got its hooks in me.

For anyone who’s never played it, you have three tools in the form of coloured squares you can place on certain squares in the environment: green pushes out a block you can stand on, orange creates a fixed platform, and blue turns the square into a Sonic-style ‘spring’.

C39D04AE-758F-4194-BC7E-A2C7C302FEB5.thumb.jpeg.31a2cc05e2fab1675ccec5ad7b7a1fcf.jpeg

The goal of each room is simple (get from A to B), as are the setups (a few white squares, some switches, and fans have just been introduced). The puzzles haven’t been too difficult so far, but there’s plenty of scope for more environment-specific gadgets to be added into the mix. Really enjoying this.