rllmuk
mdn2

All Things Picross! Both 2D and 3D

2 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I've had the "S" games on my wishlist in the Switch eshop for ages, but they are never in a sale. I know they're only about £7 each but I'm very stubborn about waiting for sales, so they've not been bought.

This surprised me when I wanted to track price changes on it via Deku Deals this morning. It has never changed price! I bought it for the normal price and am happy with it. 

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I bought some of them when on sale so they must have done.

Ok, I wasn’t totally sure but it’s been a very long time since any of them were.

Regardless they’re £4.50 each so even better value than the Switch versions with hundreds of hours worth of picross across the 8 games.

Also for anyone with a 3DS who is new to picross or hasn’t yet downloaded it, you can still get the Zelda version free by redeeming a 1000 silver coins through your My Nintendo account.

The Zelda one is nice. I’m also playing through the second 3D game on 3DS at the moment, which is very good, but not as good as 2D Picross.

For my 2D fix, I’m playing Picture Puzzle on the Neo Geo Pocket Colour, and trying to ignore the insane value it seems to have for a game that sits in my bedside drawer waiting for me to go to bed early one night and do a couple of puzzles.  Great music too :)

@MarkN I remember you pushing this on release. I'd love to play it but I'm only on Mac, I presume it was nowhere near cost effective to port it. Shame it's not done well as it looks really good.

For those who have never played a pictogram game before I would recommend Konami Pixel Puzzle on your phone as a great place to start, with the added bonus of it being free so it's a great taster and if you don't like it you haven't lost anything.

I had never played one before and so this was my entry into these style of game and to be honest bit didn't click with me to start with but then I had a stint in hospital bar the start of the year and gave it another bash, it clicked and I spent hours just playing through the puzzles. Not sUte how many are in there but there must be hundreds. They are all made up from konami things too and show some lovely pixel art.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, MarkN said:

Buy my game you fuckers! It's right here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/799110/Picrastination/

It's not like other Picross games I know, and that seems to annoy some folk. It's a bit more in-your-face, but I'm super proud of it, despite the fact that it has sold tits-all.

It's full of pop-culture references:

And jokes:

And there's an alphabet's worth of levels made of words and phrases that no other Picross game would use (these are my absolute favourites - there are some belters in there):

But I genuinely believe that it's a cracker. There are puzzles in here that are so different to your regular pagodas and flowers and whatnot. I mean - look at this bastard - does that not intrigue you? (And at the end of it you'll get a cultural reference that you'll probably clock and enjoy).

You get somewhere over 250 puzzles all with a pun or joke or cultural reference attached, all for the price of about half a loo-roll at current rates. Then there are lots of extras too...

I did want to make a 3D picross game after I finished this (I mean it's already built in 3D, so it's a no-brainer) except this sold so poorly it just wasn't worth it. I mean - I know it's my fault it tanked - I'm awful at PR (check out this post for example - I'm fairly drunk right now and even I know how desperate it looks). But you know - gotta pay the bills.(My next game will tank too - I'm doing something even more niche. Gotta love indie dev ;) )

50555B53-1F69-40D0-9286-D832F8C3E4A1.thumb.png.4df25616805896962de37946f1528c10.png

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, memories said:

For those who have never played a pictogram game before I would recommend Konami Pixel Puzzle on your phone as a great place to start, with the added bonus of it being free so it's a great taster and if you don't like it you haven't lost anything.

Just what I was looking for, thanks for the recommendation! 

Can anyone recommend any more free Picross games on the Play store? I was having a nosy yesterday but it's hard to determine which are the good ones.

4 hours ago, Vorgot said:

@MarkN I remember you pushing this on release. I'd love to play it but I'm only on Mac, I presume it was nowhere near cost effective to port it. Shame it's not done well as it looks really good.

It should be relatively quick, assuming everything just works (and tests with building for a previous non-Steam project would indicate it may well do). The problem was that the Steamworks videos about creating and then porting a project aren't particularly good and assumed I know more about Mac software than I do (what files are required etc.) which meant that doing so would lead to a very real possibility of me trashing the existing PC build live on the server, which could get pushed as an update to everyone within the next 15 minutes. I was a little reluctant to do this (and I'm very lazy when it comes to technical stuff and learning things that bore me). So I spent my time creating new content (which is fun), before moving on to the next project (also fun), and then forgetting about the whole thing.

I'll have a rummage around - see if I can find some more concrete advice about how to do it safely. It could be the closest thing I'll ever get to free money (maybe a little bit of tinkering required for a few Mac specifics, but otherwise it's just selecting a different target platform - IF I can find out how to safely upload the builds. Could also look at doing that Linux version too).

Bah...in Murder by Numbers do you have to play the entire chapter again to try and I prove your game to unlock Scouts bonus memories? I only have the last one to get.

Yeah, I missed S rank on 1 level. Not sure how - I think I missed a timed hacking puzzle.

I thought Jupiter could do no wrong but Kemono Friends Picross (fuck off, it was on sale!) is a bit poor. I assume it's some kind of anime or manga series and didn't think this would matter as I often barely notice what the picture is in the games anyway, but every single one is a portrait image of a character which means that despite being technically different they all follow the same pattern. Every puzzle feels like the one before it.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, smac said:

Yeah, I missed S rank on 1 level. Not sure how - I think I missed a timed hacking puzzle.

That's the one I missed. I wasn't prepared for a rapid fire round that late at night during my "one more puzzle won't harm" binge..

1 hour ago, Yasawas said:

I thought Jupiter could do no wrong but Kemono Friends Picross (fuck off, it was on sale!) is a bit poor. I assume it's some kind of anime or manga series and didn't think this would matter as I often barely notice what the picture is in the games anyway, but every single one is a portrait image of a character which means that despite being technically different they all follow the same pattern. Every puzzle feels like the one before it.

Cheers, you've saved me an inevitable 7 quid.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

That's the one I missed. I wasn't prepared for a rapid fire round that late at night during my "one more puzzle won't harm" binge..

Yeah, same; I was just off the pace by a second or two. The hacking challenges tend to be mid-late episode, too. At least it wasn't the final act, which is pretty lengthy. May have been act three.

I'm missing two of Scout's memories for S rank in that.

On 17/03/2020 at 13:38, MarkN said:

It should be relatively quick, assuming everything just works (and tests with building for a previous non-Steam project would indicate it may well do). The problem was that the Steamworks videos about creating and then porting a project aren't particularly good and assumed I know more about Mac software than I do (what files are required etc.) which meant that doing so would lead to a very real possibility of me trashing the existing PC build live on the server, which could get pushed as an update to everyone within the next 15 minutes. I was a little reluctant to do this (and I'm very lazy when it comes to technical stuff and learning things that bore me). So I spent my time creating new content (which is fun), before moving on to the next project (also fun), and then forgetting about the whole thing.

I'll have a rummage around - see if I can find some more concrete advice about how to do it safely. It could be the closest thing I'll ever get to free money (maybe a little bit of tinkering required for a few Mac specifics, but otherwise it's just selecting a different target platform - IF I can find out how to safely upload the builds. Could also look at doing that Linux version too).

Cheers for the clarification! I'm in if you get a Mac version up.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Cheers, you've saved me an inevitable 7 quid.

Aye use it on the Nazarick one if it comes to it, that's far better.

I've been playing 3D round 2 the last couple of weeks, whilst it seems less 'pure' than Picross and so should be 'worse' - I think, surprisingly it is neither. 

Medative, calming and brilliant - perfect for these crazy times.

Finished Voxelgram last night. Takes a bit of getting used to at the start but once the controls click it’s fine.

Overall I didn’t find it particularly challenging, but it was a lovely chilled out experience. I especially liked the music. Now onto Murder By Numbers!

• Upvote 1

Oh for fuck sake. How long does the voucher last? Would love that but as with most things, out of budget right now. 

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Oh for fuck sake. How long does the voucher last? Would love that but as with most things, out of budget right now. 

Its redeemable until 1st of June, then you have a month to use it. It's only just gone up on there so hopefully you'll have time to grab it.

A decent balance. If anything, the visual novel stuff is slightly under-baked; it gates off some of the areas and puzzles, but it's not as complex as, say, Phoenix Wright to resolve.

Nice, I might be in. I've just finished AI: The Somnium Files which was putting me off picking it up but I think I'm ready now.

Anyone know of a competitive multiplayer Picross? 

Obviously it's not in the relaxing spirit of the genre, but who doesn't like beating someone at something?

There's an update for Voxelgram with 20 new puzzles and extra control settings. 

• Upvote 1

Nice. I noticed this yesterday but didn't know what it had added. I'm starting to like it now but it does take a while to get used to, and I wish they'd spend five minutes fixing the obvious UI flaws, but for a fiver you'd need to be as much of a churlish prick as me to moan about it.