rllmuk
mdn2

All Things Picross! Both 2D and 3D

9 minutes ago, keptbybees said:

The square where column 4 and row 5 meet is a cross, if that helps.

Reveal hidden contents

Then the square below it must be the 2 in the column, which gives you info on the 3&6 row.

Thankyou so much! I've not checked the spoiler but that first clue is a big help. :D

11 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Hide contents

EXLkL9UU4AwepXA.thumb.jpeg.0f4927ac3a00dd80770a8c6b1464328d.jpeg

You seem to have filled the bottom square on the fifth column from the left in.

I'm not sure what square you mean, sorry. The bottom square fifth from the left is crossed for both of us, if it's that one.

Probably late, but for the 4, 5 in the 6th row down, you can get another square to the right of the 2nd block of 2 you've entered (you can't add 3 to the left to make it up to the 5 you need without hitting the other 2 and making a single  7).

Edit: Just noticed you already had that, but it was cleared in a later example. If everything else is correct then that is too, though.

19 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Thankyou so much! I've not checked the spoiler but that first clue is a big help. :D

I'm not sure what square you mean, sorry. The bottom square fifth from the left is crossed for both of us, if it's that one.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Second row from the bottom, fifth row from the left. It might not make any difference as keptbybees' about was much more significant

47 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Sorry I wasn't clear. Second row from the bottom, fifth row from the left. It might not make any difference as keptbybees' about was much more significant

Ah right. That's not filled for me though, it's just one of my marks you all love so much. :D

Thankyou everyone. I'll have a bash at finishing it now.

Done! Now I feel hungry. :D Thanks again, @keptbybees. That was driving me crazy.

I don't know how you could manage Picross without the marks!

Glad I could help @Mogster. This thread has been responsible for my Picross addiction flaring up again so its nice to be able to add something to it.

I mark like that when I've gone through every row and column and can't see any more moves, usually starting with an edge piece.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

Done! Now I feel hungry. :D Thanks again, @keptbybees. That was driving me crazy.

I don't know how you could manage Picross without the marks!

My game didn't feature marks at first, because I've never used them. I find they just add noise - much easier to think without them. I had to patch them in later due to feedback. (It also never featured an undo option at first because I never use that either - obviously patched that in later too, but it just shows how differently different players play a game.)

I finished all the regular picross puzzles in Picross S1 today. I was going to leave it there for a while, but thought I'd give the Mega Picross puzzles a quick go to check them out. Suddenly it's ten past midnight. :ph34r:

I only realised just how useful the blue numbers were on the very last page of picross puzzles, which would have made some of the earlier puzzles a lot easier. For some reason it never clicked with me that it meant there was definitely something to find in that row or column, or indeed that that thing could be a cross as well as a square. 

First thing I do is turn off all hints and assists, especially the mark correction thing. I dont want to be shouted at for accidentally pressing the wrong button.

• Upvote 1

I'd probably have turned the blue numbers off after a while if I'd paid attention to what they actually meant, but they would have been a really useful aid earlier on if I'd used them properly. Even then, you aren't allowed any hints for the last puzzle of each stage which ensures you're actually learning the game. I've just been turning them when I needed a pointer since then, which has been invaluable for figuring out what's going on with some of the Mega Picross puzzles. I haven't touched any other assists though. 

Anyway, Mega Picross is brilliant, and possible more addictive than regular Picross so far. I'm three pages in so far and I can't put the bloody thing down!

• Upvote 1

I used to be a purist about the blue numbers, but eventually concluded that life’s too short and they’re not really cheating, just saving a lot of unnecessary counting on rows or columns that look like they might have a possible hit but don’t quite.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

I used to be a purist about the blue numbers, but eventually concluded that life’s too short and they’re not really cheating, just saving a lot of unnecessary counting on rows or columns that look like they might have a possible hit but don’t quite.

I don't tend to use them in normal picross but often do in mega picross because as you say, life is too short. I have them off but flick them on briefly when I get really stuck. 

I've got a hankering for some Switch Picross, is the Picross S series the one to go for? 

Any similar things worth a look? Slitherlink etc.

NO MEDALS FOR YOU.

There's one on Lord of Shub Nigurath that's got me proper stumped. If it doesn't give up it's secrets soon I'm going to have to ask for help :(

I finished Kemono Friends Picross finally over the weekend. It's Jupiter, so not terrible by any means but I would encourage caution for anyone like me who just loves Picross and thought they didn't care what the image was. They're all so similar that the "patterns" make it feel you're doing the same few puzzles over and over with minor variations. On the plus side I'm appreciating Picross Lord of the Nazarick more now than I might be otherwise. Yes, the navigation is needlessly convoluted and the cutscenes totally unnecessary but the puzzles are a lot more interesting so I'm in.

What's the consensus on colour picross? I hadn't done one in ages until earlier this afternoon and absolutely loved it. Like mega picross it requires a pretty different mindset and I think I like the feeling of doubting myself every time I place a square. So long as the colours aren't too numerous or similar it's pretty sweet imo.

On 10/05/2020 at 17:15, Made of Ghosts said:

I've got a hankering for some Switch Picross, is the Picross S series the one to go for? 

Any similar things worth a look? Slitherlink etc.

A Kakuro game recently got released for dirt cheap. It's not too bad. But no Slitherlink :( 

34 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I finished Kemono Friends Picross finally over the weekend. It's Jupiter, so not terrible by any means but I would encourage caution for anyone like me who just loves Picross and thought they didn't care what the image was. They're all so similar that the "patterns" make it feel you're doing the same few puzzles over and over with minor variations. On the plus side I'm appreciating Picross Lord of the Nazarick more now than I might be otherwise. Yes, the navigation is needlessly convoluted and the cutscenes totally unnecessary but the puzzles are a lot more interesting so I'm in.

What's the consensus on colour picross? I hadn't done one in ages until earlier this afternoon and absolutely loved it. Like mega picross it requires a pretty different mindset and I think I like the feeling of doubting myself every time I place a square. So long as the colours aren't too numerous or similar it's pretty sweet imo.

I find the colour Picross easier than I think it should be. They're fine, a decent addition but I wouldn't want a whole game of them.

Still plunging through Lord of Nazghul. I tell thee this much, there's an absolute fuck load of content on it, even considering the mega Picross swindle of using the same puzzles as regular Picross.

Help me rllmuk you're my only hope. 

I've been stuck on this Picross S puzzle for what feels like months. 

I'm forever restarting and trying again. 

This is the furthest I've gotten and considering it's such a small board I'm thinking I must be missing something blindingly obvious. 

Please spoiler your solutions, hints and advice. 

Just knowing the answer is in here will help. 

Maybe I'll click that spoiler tag if I'm still stuck in July. 

20200528_183417-02.jpeg

Spoiler

The middle 2, 3 row looks wrong. How did you decide the first two cells on that row had to be X? 

I have no will power - I clicked the spoiler

Which led me to an immediate restart

Leading me here

Gnnnnnnnnn

20200528_185734-01.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

Leading me here

Gnnnnnnnnn

20200528_185734-01.jpeg

first row fourth column

If you don't want to click there's one row where 1 square can be absolutely filled in.

12 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

Leading me here

Gnnnnnnnnn

20200528_185734-01.jpeg

Look at your 4th column down. You can do something there. 

Today I learnt that drinking in the sun makes me better at Picross 

Thanks for the help everyone I couldn't have done it alone!

Spoiler

Spoiler

20200530_172720-01.jpeg

Edit - though it does somewhat limit posting skills

• Upvote 4

Picross Pet Peeves no. 184644Q - Clip Picross should be ideal for me being essentially dozens of bonus puzzles for a guy who doesn’t usually give a shit what the image is anyway, but 90% of them just being diagonal/stepping pattens is arggghhhhh. There’s something about them that really infuriates and worse - I can’t not do them :angry:

Yeah, they're usually weak as shit. I tend to do them after I've done all the other puzzles and they're always a let down.