rllmuk
JohnC

Universal to stream some titles during cinema run (and others going to streaming)

https://deadline.com/2020/03/coronavirus-trolls-world-tour-invisible-man-the-hunt-emma-debut-on-demand-in-home-theatrical-window-collapse-1202884570

Due to the current "challenging" distribution conditions, they're making some movies available to rent digitally at the same time they're in cinema. $20 to rent. This won't be across the board for releases, but certain ones. Who knows if they'll continue after the crisis is over. Cinemas probably won't want it to, whatever is left of them.

• Upvote 2

I'll happily pay to stream The Invisible Man for that price. Comfort of my own home, and no cunts talking. 

• Upvote 9

11 hours ago, Thor said:

I'll happily pay to stream The Invisible Man for that price. Comfort of my own home, and no cunts talking. 

And then cinema dies when everyone wants this. The idea of never going to the cinema again is fucking awful.

It's a great idea for now for them to try and salvage some more money but I hope they dont carry this on after we can go back to social gatherings.

• Upvote 2

See, I don't think it would die, but we likely wouldn't need several multiscreen cinemas in one city anymore. 

Cinemas would be great if it wasn't for the other people. £20 for a new release seems quite fair considering the price of a cinema these days and you'd just split it with your friends/family.

Good thing there's nothing going on that would prohibit social gatherings.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

And then cinema dies when everyone wants this. The idea of never going to the cinema again is fucking awful.

It's a great idea for now for them to try and salvage some more money but I hope they dont carry this on after we can go back to social gatherings.

Maybe if the cinema wasn’t overpriced shite that treats the people who pay for it like garbage they’d have customers who actually wanted to pay them for their service. If not they deserve to go out of business.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's where I live then because I can go to the cinema for £6-7 a ticket and the savvy movie goer with kids takes treats with them. 

I think if you start offering people the ability to see a new releases from home, the cinema experience would eventually die and for me that's sad. I enjoy going to the cinema and so do my kids.

I don't think movie makers would do it anyway because it would instantly mean 1080 pirate versions of new releases would be out out there straight away.

22 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Maybe it's where I live then because I can go to the cinema for £6-7 a ticket and the savvy movie goer with kids takes threats with them.

I get annoyed at people using their phones as much as anyone - I can understand why you would need to have your threats at the ready.

$20 for renting a title on release day is brilliant value for a family. Bit shite for individuals for are self-isolating though. I guess they don't have a way to differentiate, but still. I normally don't pay that much to see a film and I live in London.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Maybe it's where I live then because I can go to the cinema for £6-7 a ticket and the savvy movie goer with kids takes threats with them. 

I think if you start offering people the ability to see a new releases from home, the cinema experience would eventually die and for me that's sad. I enjoy going to the cinema and so do my kids.

I don't think movie makers would do it anyway because it would instantly mean 1080 pirate versions of new releases would be out out there straight away.

There will be multiple levels of digital watermarking in place for these titles, including dynamic digital watermarking that will directly identify which customer the leak came from, prosecutions would follow.

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

There will be multiple levels of digital watermarking in place for these titles, including dynamic digital watermarking that will directly identify which customer the leak came from, prosecutions would follow.

Yeah, just like the screeners that do the round every award season. It won't stop people.

3 hours ago, Broker said:

Maybe if the cinema wasn’t overpriced shite that treats the people who pay for it like garbage they’d have customers who actually wanted to pay them for their service. If not they deserve to go out of business.

Which cinema are you going to that treats you like garbage? Personally I pay a reasonable (considering their overheads) price to see a new film on a big screen with a great sound system. Really don't get people that hate the cinema in this thread. Don't enjoy it? Don't go. But if it didn't exist you have to consider that some of the movies you enjoy watching at home would never get made - someone has to pay for them, and cinema tickets are a currently a huge part of that. 

• Upvote 5

The cinema is great, love taking the kids along as you can't beat the big screen and the full audio.

The local Vue is £5 per person for any film at any time on any day which is good value. We get the kids to pack a pick n mix from whatever is in the house and take a water bottle as cinema food and drink are crazy prices.

Is anyone really getting treated like garbage in a cinema? What are the staff doing? Throwing popcorn at you whilst touching you up in the dark or something.

• Upvote 1

There are two cinemas in Romford. The Vue is cheap enough, but the Premiere is super cheap for tickets. I think there is a small indie in Brightlingsea which is less than £5 for most tickets also. Just avoid the likes of the Odeon where possible and it is all good. 

16 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Which cinema are you going to that treats you like garbage? Personally I pay a reasonable (considering their overheads) price to see a new film on a big screen with a great sound system. Really don't get people that hate the cinema in this thread. Don't enjoy it? Don't go. But if it didn't exist you have to consider that some of the movies you enjoy watching at home would never get made - someone has to pay for them, and cinema tickets are a currently a huge part of that. 

Yeah, I love my local Cineworld.  Just choose your times sensibly and it is 9/10 absolutely fine. 

I much prefer watching films in the Cinema since, for me at least, I can put the phone away and just focus whereas at home there is always some distraction. 

Plus for Cineworld, £18 for unlimited films per month is a bargain, particular when you can combine it with an extra free ticket for a friend on Tuesday and Wednesdays. £20 for a single digital rental sounds shit in comparison. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

Yeah, it does seem like actually nice cinemas are having a bit of a resurgence. You pay a bit more (maybe there is a membership program which brings the cost closer to a multiplex, and gives them a more reliable income too of course), and in return they show a more interesting selection of films, and employ actual adults at a reasonable wage. They seem to be finding their market too. Seems to be true in London certainly, and when I go back to the North West there are lots of options that didn't exist when I was growing up.

3 hours ago, dizogg said:

Thank you, this is the response I was trying to think of earlier but just wasn't coming for some reason so I left it.

I love the cinema, but also think this is a great idea for whats going on right now. I just personally don't like it as a replacement or secondary option for when things go back to normal. I would say that maybe a half way option between cinema and physical release would be great though, it could go

Cinema > Home Streaming > Physical/Digital > Netflix/Amazon/Sky etc 

6 hours ago, gooner4life said:

This topic is an interesting one...

Though, unless this is ground breaking technology, any time companies put shit in place to prevent piracy, it gets cracked very very quickly. I can't imagine (not saying impossible of course) any system that would permanently prevent it, and that includes always on DRM.

I don't want cinema's to die though. I love going, and there's a great 4k Sony showcase in reading which, while not cheap, isn't the £30 affair of the almostimpossibletogetticketsunlessyoubuythemassoonastheboxofficeopens4monthsinadvance IMAX in London, Waterloo.

Still I reckon, as long as they provide something the home systems can't, I think/hope we'll have them. But, on the flip side, Imax/8k TVs, they're almost at the threshold of detail that our eyes can resolve, and if 8K TV's are purchased at a size that makes them worthwhile (currently not economically viable for virtually everyone) then what can cinema offer that your home can't? Especially now with easy plug and play hassle free sound bars., which are good enough for most.

8 hours ago, dizogg said:

In Nottingham all the cinemas are £8-£10 per ticket, which equates to it costing way too much for the tiny amount of time I'm there. Everything at them is broken, with all the fucking ticket machines being unreliable. That wasn't as much of a problem before, but every time I go there there are less staff, which makes the entire experience feel shit. There's nobody around to stop people constantly shoving past each other in the lines, or to ask when the ticket machine is broken again, as all of that is handled by the same counter where you have to wait fifteen minutes with all the people buying snacks. 

I'm pretty much not going anymore, and I don't mind that it's there obviously. But I'd rather not wait months to watch films on my TV because the cinema industry needs propping up. I've not seen anything since Star Wars, and I've not had an enjoyable cinema experience for a few years. I still love movies, but it's just not worth making the trip into town and paying to watch a movie once, which is also preceded by an hour of adverts, including an incredibly insulting one about how important it is to pay for the cinema, which only people who have already paid to go to the cinema are ever going to see. The snacks are a rip off, there's often people on their phones or talking, and more often than I'd like there's projection, sound or lighting issues. 

I assume that maybe the cinema in Nottingham is just shit. Broadway is in town too, which is very highly regarded and shows cool films, but is also very expensive and extremely uncomfortable. I'm not bothered that it's shit now, or that I don't go. I'm certainly not upset that other people are enjoying it. But I also wouldn't be upset if the cinema exclusivity of films stopped, or ultimately if cinemas all failed. 

• Empathy 1

I go to Showcase Cinema De Lux in Nottingham and never had any of the issues you’ve mentioned! Also usually go on meerkat movies 2 for 1 so ends up being about £5-6 a ticket.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Maybe it's where I live then because I can go to the cinema for £6-7 a ticket and the savvy movie goer with kids takes treats with them. 

No wonder you’re so pro-cinema if you live in one.

12 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Yeah, the ‘magic’ of the cinema experience died a long time ago for me, I’d happily never bother with it again.

Someone who never saw BR 2049 in imax..

• Upvote 1

I'm not quite sure where some of you are seeing movies to get such a dislike of the cinema, but I literally can count on one hand the number of bad experiences I have had in a cinema (well, not related to the movie), and I used to go pre-child at least once or twice a week. Half of those were probably just, "sorry the coffee machine is out of order".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

I go to Showcase Cinema De Lux in Nottingham and never had any of the issues you’ve mentioned! Also usually go on meerkat movies 2 for 1 so ends up being about £5-6 a ticket.

Showcase is lovely, but it’s crazy expensive without any sort of discount, and as I can’t drive it’s in a super awkward location. Savoy is also pretty far from me, so I’m stuck with Cineworld (which sounds like its awful compared to most cinemas). Going there regularly there’s been a noticeable decline in service quality as the prices have risen. As I’m not fond of the Broadway I’ve just stopped bothering.

15 hours ago, Harsin said:

So you're saying that if there was alternative way to pay to watch new films instead of having to go to the cinema longer-term, then they would automatically all wither and die. In that case wouldn’t that mean that the cinema business is a totally artificial market that only exists because people are forced to view media they want to see in that way. Surely they should be aiming to be able to continue because enough people would choose to go there for the quality of service/experience, not because that's the enforced way to watch something.

That has just made me realise something about the many arguments against ubi. Markets are supposed to be purely about supply and demand, and the supposed purity in that, people swear by it dont they. If people truly have the freedom to choose, take it or leave it then you'll see the true value of it. I.e. you dont need to 'incentivise work'; people will decide for themselves what they get out of it, what it offers them, additional income or other benefits.

Sorry I'm slow, I was already on the 'well if someone isn't forced to take a job to survive then the wage offer will rise until someone takes it', but that absolute control, to be an artificial construct is something else, and veers into being a rightwing argument to be used for a progressive cause in that it challenges the supposed merits of the market. I know it's simple but this is better than the 'unwasted talent, unpaid caring for children/elderly not valued by the economy let's unleash peoples potential' argument currently used by Yang and Bregman, I think.

I think ultimately those who shut ubi down already know this, and basically sit comfortably on well paid career paths knowing society is upheld by thousands who toil away in undesirable dead end jobs that they reckon wouldn't be done if those who do them weren't forced to by a system that says if you dont you'll starve. 

Don't anyone dare suggest this is off topic, ubi is my no.1 subject after Where Mario Kart went Wrong and How Gta could not be terrible Anymore and I just personally like watching stuff at home, lying down in pitch darkness in my own world, with subtitles, without the ceiling lights and fire exit lights distracting me and I don't even have multiple kids that means going to the cinema costs £50 that's hard to find because the cost of living is so high and should we go play mini golf instead. 

Our world will not bounce back from Corona Virus. That is to say, things are not going to go back to what we knew as normal.  If Cinemas can transfer their business model to a 'premium rental' and it takes off then that could be the end for cinema.  Likewise , I strongly believe that many places that temporarily close due to Corona may never reopen as we adapt to life without them.  Like, when they say that a restaurant only has one chance to make a good impression because if you go for the first time and the food sucks you never go back and simply go elsewhere.  I reckon theres a lot of big changes coming and a great many won't change back.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/china-moviegoing-survey-30-people-return-cinemas-reopen-62-wait-complete-covid-19-containment-1202886455/

China Moviegoing Survey Reveals 62% Of People Will Wait For Complete COVID-19 Containment Before Returning To Cinemas

A survey has been published in China that offers some insight into how moviegoers might react once the coronavirus pandemic begins to abate.

According to the findings, which come from Maoyan Entertainment, the entertainment company that runs a ticketing platform and box office service in China, 68% of respondents cited going to the cinemas as their top choice for entertainment once the epidemic ends, behind only eating out with friends (69%).

A total of 30% of respondents said they would return to cinemas as soon as they reopen, while a slightly higher figure of 33% said they would wait for the official announcement that COVID-19 has been completely contained before returning. A further 29% said they would “wait for a while” after the official announcement before heading back to movie theaters.