rllmuk
JohnC

Universal to stream some titles during cinema run (and others going to streaming)

On 18/03/2020 at 08:45, Broker said:

Maybe if the cinema wasn’t overpriced shite that treats the people who pay for it like garbage they’d have customers who actually wanted to pay them for their service. If not they deserve to go out of business.

I do sort of get this.

Queue up for ages to get a ticket, overpriced and low quality food & drink, mandatory advertisements/trailers, no pee breaks (I'm getting old!), and the worst part of all, other people.

When you then consider that there are so few genuinely new films (endless sequels, prequiels, sidequels, franchises and reboots) it's become less and less interesting to me.

• Upvote 5

Although I do enjoy fundamentals of the cinema experience - the huge screen, the scale of the sound, and that feeling of experiencing something special with a packed (and well-behaved) audience - it's really only impatience that has me going these days. I detest adverts, and ironically the only ones I ever see are when I pay to go to the movies. Home systems are so good and screens are so large now that anything less than an XPLUS or IMAX viewing feels like a waste of time. I'm with Broker on Nottingham's Broadway. I basically lived there in the 90s and I love the ideal of it, but the only screen worth bothering with is the main one, and even in there the seats are very uncomfortable with little leg room.

I've always said I'd happily pay more than cinema prices to stream a movie day one at home.

• Upvote 3

Well I feel bad. I should clarify that when I'm wishing for the death of cinema I'm specifically thinking of big chains and Hollywood's stranglehold on them. But I see that those cinemas failing would have a knock on effect at smaller cinemas. I'm certainly not hoping for the Broadway to go. I imagine it would survive as so many of the movies shown there are smaller, interesting ones, but maybe if Hollywood had big problems those films wouldn't get made.

Have the seats at Broadway changed in the last few years? Because honestly that's why I don't go anymore. I like seeing weird movies, and Broadway isn't as expensive as other places, but I've had so many movies ruined by not being able to see because all the seats are on the same level. As someone who is tall, I'm also constantly having other people complain that I'm blocking their view, with no option to make that better for them other than ruining it for myself. Over the last few years, the prices of all cinema tickets have increased as my disposable income has decreased, and the expense of the cinema is now too much for me to gamble on hopefully getting a good seat and being able to actually see the movie.

Yeah, we replaced the seats in the screens for better legroom and comfort. It was a big job. We donated the old ones to the community theatre across the road. I redesigned the lighting and sound system and installed 4K projectors. 

It's £4.50 a ticket if you're under 25 but I can leave you a ticket on the box office if you're desperate. 

• Upvote 3

Since Vue went back to £5 a ticket, I have been to the cinema so much more than previously. Paying £11+ to see a film in Showcase, and still have the popcorn and drinks prohibitively expensive, was ridiculous. True, Vue have made the snacks even more expensive than before, but if I want I can just bring in some Haribo!

6 hours ago, LeighCb said:

You and Broker haven't been in a while then. And these posts are devastating to me. 

I've worked in cinemas in Nottingham and in Newark since 2003. I've shovelled your popcorn and I've tidied up your shit. I've had kids starting fights with me and spit on me.

I've met my best friends and fallen in love. I've learnt how to project from 35mm and run an entire mulitlpex on my own.

I've opened a new build cinema. I'm the projectionist for Reel Equality and other community cinemas. I'm the head of projection at Broadway.  We're a charity for fucks sake. I help filmmakers create DCPs and make it easier for them to be shown on the big screen. I run film festivals. I've helped to improve accessibility for everyone I can. 

I've spent the last four years planning, refurbing and reopening Broadway. Which we did last September. The spec is amazing, the best in the region after years of research and planning. It's one of the best screens in the country. 

All you can do after we all lose the jobs we love and the things we do is hope we close for good. 

This is interesting but out of interest, what do you do about cinema goers who spoil the experience for anyone else?

That's the number one reason my cinema going has declined, unless I get a chance to go see a big film (Marvel/Star Wars) on opening day where everyone there is because they want to be. Any other time and it's a pot luck shit show.

I wouldn't want to see them die, I just want to see them do better.

We have a policy notice and ushers on each screen. We generally have a respectful audience. Well, apart from the pensioners but you can punch them in the back of the head. 

• Upvote 1

Pixar’s Onward has been added to the movies available to stream today (time zones may vary). It’s apparently coming to Disney+ next week too.

On 20/03/2020 at 10:07, Eighthours said:

Since Vue went back to £5 a ticket, I have been to the cinema so much more than previously. Paying £11+ to see a film in Showcase, and still have the popcorn and drinks prohibitively expensive, was ridiculous. True, Vue have made the snacks even more expensive than before, but if I want I can just bring in some Haribo!

What time are you going to pick me up?

• Upvote 3

Disney's Artemis Fowl, originally due to be released 29th May, is now going directly to Disney+:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-breaks-theatrical-window-artemis-fowl-debuting-disney-1288463

Disney have also announced an updated schedule - I think that most of the MCU releases have been shuffled backwards by one slot (so Black Widow moves into Eternals' original release date). I doubt those June-August releases will stay where they are. At the moment I think we'll be lucky if the September films don't get delayed too...

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/the-walt-disney-studios-announces-updated-release-schedule/

Soul (Disney and Pixar)—June 19, 2020

Mulan (Disney)—July 24, 2020

Empty Man (20th Century Studios)—August 7, 2020

The One and Only Ivan (Disney)—August 14, 2020

The Beatles: Get Back (Disney)—September 4, 2020

The King’s Man (20th Century Studios)—September 18, 2020

Death on the Nile (20th Century Studios)—October 9, 2020

The French Dispatch (Searchlight Pictures)—October 16, 2020

Everybody’s Talking About Jamie (20th Century Studios)—October 23, 2020

Black Widow (Marvel Studios)—November 6, 2020

Deep Water (20th Century Studios)—November 13, 2020

Raya and the Last Dragon (Walt Disney Animation Studios)—November 25, 2020

Free Guy (20th Century Studios)—December 11, 2020

West Side Story (20th Century Studios)—December 18, 2020

The Last Duel (20th Century Studios)—December 25, 2020 (limited)

The Last Duel (20th Century Studios)—January 8, 2021 (Wide)

The Eternals (Marvel Studios)—February 12, 2021

Ron’s Gone Wrong (20th Century Studios)—February 26, 2021

Untitled Disney Live Action—March 12, 2021

Bob’s Burgers (20th Century Studios)—April 9, 2021

Untitled 20th Century—April 23, 2021

Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Marvel Studios)—May 7, 2021

Cruella (Disney)—May 28, 2021

Untitled Pixar Animation—June 18, 2021

Jungle Cruise (Disney)—July 30, 2021

Untitled 20th Century—August 13, 2021

Untitled 20th Century—September 10, 2021

Untitled 20th Century—October 1, 2021

Hamilton (Disney)—October 15, 2021

Untitled 20th Century—October 22, 2021

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Marvel Studios)—November 5, 2021

Untitled Disney Live Action—November 19, 2021

Untitled Disney Animation—November 24, 2021

Untitled 20th Century—December 3, 2021

AVATAR 2 (20th Century Studios)—December 17, 2021

Untitled 20th Century—January 7, 2022

Nimona (20th Century Studios)—January 14, 2022

Thor: Love and Thunder (Marvel Studios)—February 18, 2022

Untitled Pixar Animation—March 11, 2022

Untitled Disney Live Action—March 25, 2022

Untitled 20th Century—April 8, 2022

Black Panther 2 (Marvel Studios)—May 6, 2022

Untitled Disney Live Action—May 27, 2022

Untitled 20th Century—June 10, 2022

Untitled Pixar Animation—June 17, 2022

Captain Marvel 2 (Marvel Studios)—July 8, 2022

Untitled Indiana Jones (Disney)—July 29, 2022

Untitled Disney Live Action—August 12, 2022

Untitled 20th Century—September 16, 2022

Untitled Marvel—October 7, 2022

Untitled 20th Century—October 21, 2022

Untitled Disney Live Action—November 4, 2022

Untitled 20th Century—November 11, 2022

Untitled Disney Animation—November 23, 2022

Untitled Star Wars (Lucasfilm)—December 16, 2022

Untitled 20th Century—December 23, 2022

• Upvote 2

On 20/03/2020 at 04:16, LeighCb said:

You and Broker haven't been in a while then. And these posts are devastating to me. 

I've worked in cinemas in Nottingham and in Newark since 2003. I've shovelled your popcorn and I've tidied up your shit. I've had kids starting fights with me and spit on me.

I've met my best friends and fallen in love. I've learnt how to project from 35mm and run an entire mulitlpex on my own.

I've opened a new build cinema. I'm the projectionist for Reel Equality and other community cinemas. I'm the head of projection at Broadway.  We're a charity for fucks sake. I help filmmakers create DCPs and make it easier for them to be shown on the big screen. I run film festivals. I've helped to improve accessibility for everyone I can. 

I've spent the last four years planning, refurbing and reopening Broadway. Which we did last September. The spec is amazing, the best in the region after years of research and planning. It's one of the best screens in the country. 

All you can do after we all lose the jobs we love and the things we do is hope we close for good. 

It's a bit off topic, and I don't even live in Nottingham, but thank you for the work you do keeping cinema and the local cinema 'scene' alive. The Broadway sounds excellent, I'll certainly visit next time I'm in town.

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth, I really miss going to the cinema already. 

I'm a Prince Charles Lifetime Member, and I basically go once a week after work, as my office is only a 15 minute walk away, on the other side of Covent Garden. I've seen some real classics I never would have watched otherwise, particularly in the mystery screenings they do, or the £1 members tickets.

They have a fantastic rotating craft beer selection too, it's one of the best things about going. 

• Upvote 5

On 04/04/2020 at 00:19, Nick R said:

Disney's Artemis Fowl, originally due to be released 29th May, is now going directly to Disney+

Not surprising. I'm not familiar with the source material but when that trailer hit there was just complete hatred for it.

Cineworld is not happy with Universal:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/07/cineworld-talks-with-landlords-and-studios-to-weather-coronavirus

Cineworld angered staff when it immediately start laying off staff after closing its cinemas in the UK, which includes the Picturehouse chain, last month. After a public backlash the company subsequently moved to furlough staff under the government’s job retention scheme.

The company also made a thinly veiled swipe at the Hollywood studio Universal, which has decided to make expected blockbuster Trolls World Tour available on all digital and pay-TV platforms globally on 10 April, instead of delaying its launch for an exclusive release in cinemas later in the year to help operators recover.

“With very few exceptions, the good relationships we have built up over the years have been supportive and understanding of our efforts,” the company said.

Greidinger was more direct in comments to a trade magazine in the US, saying Universal’s decision was a “one-sided move against exhibition [in cinemas], and also a huge business mistake. You do not change the basic rules of the game … especially when your partner is in its worst situation.”

The company, the UK’s biggest operator, said it would continue to “monitor” the progress of its $2.1bn (£1.7bn) deal to buy Canada’s Cineplex. If Cineworld were to pull out of the deal it could face a break-fee of up to £28m.

We watched Trolls 2 yesterday. £16 though for a Rental. Having small kids it was a much nicer experience than getting mugged off for popcorn and soda. 

On 06/04/2020 at 15:17, Isaac said:

It's a bit off topic, and I don't even live in Nottingham, but thank you for the work you do keeping cinema and the local cinema 'scene' alive. The Broadway sounds excellent, I'll certainly visit next time I'm in town.

Thanks man. Let me know if you ever do, I'll give you a tour. 

One thing I miss a lot at the moment is my regular trips to the cinema.  The Cineworld unlimited card has dramatically changed my usage of cinema, and I loved ducking out for a few hours to go and see a new movie.   Its insanely good value, I just take my own popcorn, drink and whatever in, I never buy the overpriced cinema stuff.  I do hate the adverts also, none more than the Cineworlds own advert about the guy who is able to 'do anything' now he has a unlimited card.

• Upvote 1

So, is there a list anywhere of upcoming planned cinema films that will now stream instead?