rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Best game trailers and intros

The best game trailers for me are the perfect marriage between audio and visuals where both work together to form something greater than the sum of its parts. Here's a couple of my faves. Post yours

This has everything. It's just fucking epic. Sells it for new players and gives loads of existing players to get their teeth into.

As masterclass in CGI trailers for the era

• Upvote 4

In recent years this, for me, is the best and the only one I've watched again after playing the game.

• Upvote 6

This might not be an all-time favourite but it's a notable recent one:

I know Ninja Theory's game kind of already did the slo-mo thing, but DMCV making an opening credit sequence out of it was great. :) 

This is a really beautifully put together trailer for Sekiro;

• Upvote 2

This. By a million miles. 

Nothing will come close to reminding me of the excitement I felt for the Dreamcast. Possibly the console I’ve felt most excitement for. And it didn’t disappoint. The VF3TB intro is the first thing I ever saw running and blew everything I’d seen before out of the water. Still gives me the feels. Plus it’s obviously very very Sega. 

• Upvote 4

Halo 5’s opening cinematic (watch from 1.30) is brilliant. It really sets things up as a big war with the Covenant across wide open areas. Then they hand you the controls and you’re stuck in a narrow corridor shooter against the shitty Prometheans.

• Upvote 1

All these replies and no mention of resident evil code Veronica? That gun drop!

and then you forgot about this overly long trailer for shenmue which still feels and looks like the future.

Finally how about some crazy taxi yeah yeah yeah!

God the dreamcast had so many great intros to get you in the mood. Maybe because it’s the first time the games looked like what was being shown?

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, RaoulSilva said:

In recent years this, for me, is the best and the only one I've watched again after playing the game.

Great trailer.

Though I remember watching that for the first time thinking that it just couldn't be as open-world as it was suggesting. Nintendo just didn't do that sort of thing.  I also thought that all of the trailer content was built from in-game cut scenes. In fact, I remember being quite sceptical overall at this stage (where are the dungeons?!).

A rare example of a game living up to, and exceeding, the hype built by the trailer. 

I'm sure we had a thread around here somewhere on this topic. But here's my favourite that moved me from "I'm not buying that" to "Day One" in less than ten minutes.

• Upvote 2

Tales from the Borderlands had the best intros given the ageing software used.

Amazing animation, direction and music.

Don't watch if you plan to play these soon.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Episode 5

It's just so hype-inducing. Awesome creative direction.

There are variations on the attract mode sequence too should you leave the game on loop, with the variations having differences in the announcer shoutouts etc.

(Most Capcom arcade games from that era had attract mode variations - there was one from one of their D&D games that was especially cool I recall - with the dwarf character performing an awesome dodge roll then dragon punch-type attack)

• Upvote 1

The one I particularly remember from the early 360 days was the original Lost Planet trailer..

V-Rally 2 intro. I fucking loved that back in the day.