rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
therearerules

Tabletop Simulator & Tabletopia

Now we’re social distancing I’m investigating these- which is better?

do you have to pay for all games separately?

do they have voice chat?

can people observe games?

just generally how do they work?

I don't think voice chat matters because you can just use Discord on pc. I have been thinking of buying Tabletop Simulator. Noob linked me summat else the other day. Hang on.

Ive just bought TTS, it seems decent and the 40k custom dlc is very impressive.

TTS is the better system, I'd say. I'm in the process of building all our games in there for a series of events we're doing over the coming weeks, and it's OK. Some weird idiosyncrasies, but fine.

• Upvote 2

We had our first remote games evening this week. Played a full game of Blood Rage on TTS without issue. Once you get going it all becomes very intuitive.

Not as good as being there but the best option given the circumstances imo

I've got Tabletop Simulator and it seems to be one of those tools that is very powerful but rather obtuse to get into.  I managed to figure out how to play a game of Age of Sigmar against myself yesterday.  Annoyingly, it was the only time my Kurnoth Hunters, who have always been underwhelming on the physical tabletop, actually did anything impressive.  That sentence will mean nothing to anyone.  

@therearerules you don't have to buy each board game within the game as people have recreated them within the marketplace.  As a result, there's a massive library of games to choose from.  The legality of this from an IP point of view may horrify you, of course.  I'm amazed it's still allowed to function, but there you go.  There are versions of some games you can buy as legit DLC if you'd rather do that.

You can also make jigsaws of any picture on your computer if you want to.  I got sort of addicted to this last year.

How do the "free-form movement" like games AOS and 40K work with TTS? how is movement measured, ranges, etc. Moving squads of minis looks on the face of it to be really awkward.

I did have a lot of fun playing the awesome Rallyman against Kurzheck on monday night.

I've downloaded them all, including going premium on Boardgamearena. Had a great game of 6 nimmt against work colleagues on one of there birthdays, but that's it. Anybody fancy a game of something, anything, online? Or even on the apps.

3 hours ago, RFT said:

How do the "free-form movement" like games AOS and 40K work with TTS? how is movement measured, ranges, etc. Moving squads of minis looks on the face of it to be really awkward.

I did have a lot of fun playing the awesome Rallyman against Kurzheck on monday night.

You can select a squad and move them all at once. There's also a function in the game to make a line with measurements on, and even to set a flag to draw a second line if you're moving around a corner. If you're playing X-Wing they have those little movement pieces in the game, and the same goes for Star Wars Legion, which has these weird movement measuring things with a hinge in. 

The truth is that everything you do in TTS is a bit awkward and clunky, but it's all doable. I think you'd just have to be slightly forgiving in a game and not play in a full-on tournament mindset. You can't expect the absolute precision of movement you get on a physical tabletop. For example in my solo demo game I couldn't move my minis right up to a scenery piece of a house, as they kept appearing on the roof. Also, movement seems to have a hidden grid behind it, so minis snap onto the nearest "square" or node rather than staying exactly where you put them. So combat in a tight area requires some compromise between players when deciding who can get close enough to attack. But then I find that's often true of the physical tabletop games as well. 

@therearerules I'd be happy to give you a game of something. I'm not sure I can today as my son has the computer for schoolwork and the virus has me knocked for six today anyway. Are we on each other's friends lists? Add me (I'm feltmonkey on steam as well) and we'll sort something out. Perhaps we should start with something really simple though. :)