IGNORED

Tabletop Simulator & Tabletopia

therearerules

We had our first remote games evening this week. Played a full game of Blood Rage on TTS without issue. Once you get going it all becomes very intuitive.

Not as good as being there but the best option given the circumstances imo

I've got Tabletop Simulator and it seems to be one of those tools that is very powerful but rather obtuse to get into.  I managed to figure out how to play a game of Age of Sigmar against myself yesterday.  Annoyingly, it was the only time my Kurnoth Hunters, who have always been underwhelming on the physical tabletop, actually did anything impressive.  That sentence will mean nothing to anyone.  

@therearerules you don't have to buy each board game within the game as people have recreated them within the marketplace.  As a result, there's a massive library of games to choose from.  The legality of this from an IP point of view may horrify you, of course.  I'm amazed it's still allowed to function, but there you go.  There are versions of some games you can buy as legit DLC if you'd rather do that.

You can also make jigsaws of any picture on your computer if you want to.  I got sort of addicted to this last year.

How do the "free-form movement" like games AOS and 40K work with TTS? how is movement measured, ranges, etc. Moving squads of minis looks on the face of it to be really awkward.

I did have a lot of fun playing the awesome Rallyman against Kurzheck on monday night.

3 hours ago, RFT said:

How do the "free-form movement" like games AOS and 40K work with TTS? how is movement measured, ranges, etc. Moving squads of minis looks on the face of it to be really awkward.

I did have a lot of fun playing the awesome Rallyman against Kurzheck on monday night.

You can select a squad and move them all at once. There's also a function in the game to make a line with measurements on, and even to set a flag to draw a second line if you're moving around a corner. If you're playing X-Wing they have those little movement pieces in the game, and the same goes for Star Wars Legion, which has these weird movement measuring things with a hinge in. 

The truth is that everything you do in TTS is a bit awkward and clunky, but it's all doable. I think you'd just have to be slightly forgiving in a game and not play in a full-on tournament mindset. You can't expect the absolute precision of movement you get on a physical tabletop. For example in my solo demo game I couldn't move my minis right up to a scenery piece of a house, as they kept appearing on the roof. Also, movement seems to have a hidden grid behind it, so minis snap onto the nearest "square" or node rather than staying exactly where you put them. So combat in a tight area requires some compromise between players when deciding who can get close enough to attack. But then I find that's often true of the physical tabletop games as well. 

@therearerules I'd be happy to give you a game of something. I'm not sure I can today as my son has the computer for schoolwork and the virus has me knocked for six today anyway. Are we on each other's friends lists? Add me (I'm feltmonkey on steam as well) and we'll sort something out. Perhaps we should start with something really simple though. :)

• 1 month later...

Bump - a mate has suggested using this to play some games - neither of us has used it before and He wants to play scythe, neither of us have played it before, should we start with something simpler? Or is it easy enough to get the hang of?

Just to say, I have one copy of Tabletop SImulator in my steam inventory that I can gift, I bought a 4 pack ages ago and the last copy has been sitting gathering dust. :)

If anyone wants it, please gimme a shout.

Happy to play on TTS and give a quick overview of the controls for anyone that’s interested. 
 We’ve played a few games on it with. I issued including continuing our Gloomhaven campaign, Cooper Island, Brass and Alubari. 
 It’s a pretty decent interface once you get the basics but like most of these things it will extend a game playtime by a bit just because folk aren’t just teaching across a table and grabbing stuff by hand. 

• 9 months later...

Is this still the best digital Tabletop around? Interested in trying out some games in digital form with a view to then buying "in the flesh" as some games work better in one player than others and saves wasting money. How easy is it to get the workshop games going (UI interface), I gues it varies massively but any guidance would be welcome. I am aware the workshop stuff is legally dodgy but I mostly just want to try them out etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...