rllmuk
Broker

Play my free game and tell me how shit it is for my uni project please

Hey all, I've made a small game for my uni project, but what I really need is feedback from people who aren't my friends, family, lecturers or fellow students. The game is free obviously and there's no survey or anything, just any thoughts or feedback, questions or complaints, bug reports or general feelings about it being terrible/average left here or anywhere else that I'll list would be super useful.

Here's a gif to give you and idea of what it's like:

The game is available to download from https://patrickekallen.itch.io/ioh

Any feedback can be left here, or on Twitter, or on the itchio page if you'd prefer.

Thanks

• Upvote 7

I haven’t played it but I’ll mention some things I noticed from the gif from a UI perspective. It’s overly dark, have a look at something like Thumper or Rez to see how you can do dark but have bright hilights to create a world that looks like it has more colour than it has. I feel like it’s only a slight tweak needed than a total reworking. Even a tron style vibe could work wonders for it. Take a look at inside or that grey scale side on infinite runner that was popular years back.

Id move your phase countdown somehow rather than it appearing below the current phase number and looking like it’s a part of that number.

The character should be placed further up the screen, look at Sonic Dash and where they place their character (as well as size) to add a bit more personality to the screen.

The cars you are shooting, when at a distance either a burnout style headlight flash (in the colour they are if that’s important) or a Mario Kart style vertical glow (on the boost pads) that fades as they get closer would help with identifying where they are.

Hopefully that’s of some help as at least from the gif it looks pretty competent!

• Upvote 3

I applause anyone who can put something like this together so well done...

Defo make more of your character visible but more importantly for the sense of speed would be to make the explosions zoom towards you too - they spoil it a bit atm. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

I haven’t played it but I’ll mention some things I noticed from the gif from a UI perspective. It’s overly dark, have a look at something like Thumper or Rez to see how you can do dark but have bright hilights to create a world that looks like it has more colour than it has. I feel like it’s only a slight tweak needed than a total reworking. Even a tron style vibe could work wonders for it. Take a look at inside or that grey scale side on infinite runner that was popular years back.

Id move your phase countdown somehow rather than it appearing below the current phase number and looking like it’s a part of that number.

The character should be placed further up the screen, look at Sonic Dash and where they place their character (as well as size) to add a bit more personality to the screen.

The cars you are shooting, when at a distance either a burnout style headlight flash (in the colour they are if that’s important) or a Mario Kart style vertical glow (on the boost pads) that fades as they get closer would help with identifying where they are.

Hopefully that’s of some help as at least from the gif it looks pretty competent!

Some great advice here. I particularly like the idea of the coloured headlight flash when the cars spawn. I'd also consider adding headlights permanently, and then sticking a light in front of each car. It would make it much more visually interesting.

I'll definitely give it a go in the next few days and provide feedback. 

• Upvote 1

Well done for producing something! Does the phase number have to be on screen at all times? Personally when I'm playing a fast paced game just want as little info on the screen as possible so I can focus on what I'm doing. Could the phase counter come up as a fade in between phases for example? So you get a brief visual indication of progress?

Not played the game itself this is just feedback from the gif. 

As you can tell not a fan of screen clutter :D

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Well done for producing something! Does the phase number have to be on screen at all times? Personally when I'm playing a fast paced game just want as little info on the screen as possible so I can focus on what I'm doing. Could the phase counter come up as a fade in between phases for example? So you get a brief visual indication of progress?

Not played the game itself this is just feedback from the gif. 

As you can tell not a fan of screen clutter :D

You could make phases a visual thing, eg the background changes colour or something else in the scene. Tetris Effect is probably a good one to look at for inspiration.

• Upvote 2

@BrokerI've given it a few minutes play. The concept is nice and it plays smoothly. I particularly like the tactical aspect of firing off a salvo of bullets to take out more than one vehicle in a line.

Some areas for imporvement:

The way the game is designed, the visual attention is solely in the very top middle of the screen. The only reason for looking anywhere else is to check the active colour on the runner. What this means is that there is a lot of visual real estate that you are putting on screen, that isn't being used and isn't needed. Some thoughts on how you could change things:

have variable events lower down the screen, that require the player to shift visual attention up and down the screen, or...

Take a more first person perspective, so that you can put an active colour representation on either side of the screen. I thought of having the arms visible but not sure this would work.

Think about the way that amplitude and frequency work. They force the player to keep switching their gaze by moving the track and also making it hard to see one side of the track from the other.

• Upvote 1

In later levels, add cars that are invisible until they get close to the player, then suddenly appear; great for added “oh fuck!”-ness :)

• Upvote 1

This looks great! Something I noticed is the cars seems to be moving at the same speed as the scenery, giving them an almost parked feel. Perhaps play with the speeds to give some sense of movement from them. 

Thanks so much guys, that's all really useful feedback. I've got a bunch of other work to do over the next few weeks, but as soon as I'm back on this I'll make sure to implement as many of those ideas as I'm able to :)

• Upvote 1