Games where you build stuff

To while away the time whilst stuck in a house together I’ve been introducing my girlfriend to my board game collection. Something that has become very apparent is that she loves games where you build something. Smash hits so far have been Railroad Ink (her absolute favourite), Carcassonne and, to a lesser extent as it’s a bit too complex a puzzle, Arboretum.

So what other games are there that we can get that involves building something up over the course of the game. Preferably ones that have simple rules, aren’t too mathsy, aren’t overly reliant on conflict and are cheap.

Would Patchwork or Barenpark fit the bill?

I quite like the look of Santorini, has it got a lot of conflict in it? The board looks very claustrophobic.

I hadn’t heard of Kingdomino before, looks ideal and is super cheap.

Luckily, my girlfriend has bought Azul for me as a ‘surprise’ birthday present so hopefully we’ll both enjoy that.

58 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

I quite like the look of Santorini, has it got a lot of conflict in it? The board looks very claustrophobic.

Yeah you're trying to block other players while you're building, it gets surprisingly strategic! 

In rhino hero (and the sequel super battle) you build towers. 

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/91514/rhino-hero

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/218333/rhino-hero-super-battle

2 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

I hadn’t heard of Kingdomino before, looks ideal and is super cheap.

Luckily, my girlfriend has bought Azul for me as a ‘surprise’ birthday present so hopefully we’ll both enjoy that.

Santorini is a little confrontational and claustrophobic, yes, but you are also trying to place your own buildings and it is a super two player game that was very cheap when I bought it at around £15 and looks very nice for the price.  I get a slightly more advanced Connect 4 feel from it.

Kingdomino would indeed be ideal I suspect because you are concentrated on building your own area to win rather than directly attacking other players.  Azul is the same, and I'm sure you'll really enjoy that.

I forgot to mention Splendor.  You don't build anything physical as such, it is an engine builder where you buy cards of different values and commodities that allow you to buy better cards as you go along until someone hits 15 points from the value of their cards.  Again, you don't outwardly attack other players, just frustrate them sometimes by buying a particular card they wanted first.  *Highly* recommended.

I'm a huge fan of Sagrada.  Thematically it's a delight - drafting dice to build a stained glass window.  Scoring is based on dice patterns within your window which are drawn from public objective cards, with one private objective card each.  Although it's a highest score wins game, the only slightly confrontational element comes from whether or not you can work out someones private objective and try to scupper them but it's really not a very big part of it.

Personally I don't view Santorini as a "building" game. I know you are physically building towers but the game doesn't progress and your powers don't build as the game goes on, it's an abstract game with an "easy to learn, hard to master" vibe. It's a good game but my partner, who loves games where you "build" stuff like Carc etc, hates it. She really doesn't get on with abstract games but needs a theme to get into the game.

I've posted this in the bargains thread but I'd suggest Nusfjord. It's a game where you carry out actions to gather cards into your "village", these cards give you access to other abilities and options so your choices increase as the games goes on. It's quick and adds some complexities without being overwhelming and is a good intro to worker placement, card powers, combos and shares.

Currently £16.95 from Chaos Cards

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/board-games-c800/all-board-games-c550/mayfair-games-nusfjord-p154672/s155980?cid=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmpb0BRCBARIsAG7y4zag4Ix-x8iYWIDisYKPJfRE6xsi_IpF9nvkCPU594qlQfOc39V24p8aAr3TEALw_wcB

If the game bug really bites then we both have a lot of love for Everdell. A beautiful looking game with a great arc, you start off with very few options and struggling for resources but soon your powers and options are growing and you can end turns with resources pouring in and feeling like a little woodland tycoon.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/199792/everdell

Patchwork definitely fits the bill I think.

It's fairly simple and easy going, you're mostly working on your own thing and there's not a lot of sabotage-style conflict. It's quite satisfying trying to decide on how to arrange your pieces though, so the complexity comes in trying to plan for how to lay out your board.

I think the app is pass and play and works well on a large device - it's a little fiddly on a phone but a tablet would be good to give it a try (especially if you have trouble getting deliveries on lockdown)

1 hour ago, jonnyalpha said:

I've posted this in the bargains thread but I'd suggest Nusfjord. It's a game where you carry out actions to gather cards into your "village", these cards give you access to other abilities and options so your choices increase as the games goes on. It's quick and adds some complexities without being overwhelming and is a good intro to worker placement, card powers, combos and shares.

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/board-games-c800/all-board-games-c550/mayfair-games-nusfjord-p154672/s155980?cid=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmpb0BRCBARIsAG7y4zag4Ix-x8iYWIDisYKPJfRE6xsi_IpF9nvkCPU594qlQfOc39V24p8aAr3TEALw_wcB

If the game bug really bites then we both have a lot of love for Everdell. A beautiful looking game with a great arc, you start off with very few options and struggling for resources but soon your powers and options are growing and you can end turns with resources pouring in and feeling like a little woodland tycoon.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/199792/everdell

Nusfjord is good, we prefer playing it to Agricola, but this is possibly because my girlfriend always beats me

Thanks for all the recommendations. In the end, I've been given my birthday present early so we've been playing Azul. It is so, so good. We're both been really enjoying it and can't wait till we can try it with more people.

I'll definitely be trying some of the other games from this thread at a later date.

Belated, but for a very different type of "building" but one which my non-gaming housemate loves (and not just because she trounces me at it), MegaCity Oceania is worth a look. A tiny bit of tile placement, but primarily it's about literally building structures, and is pleasingly lightweight. 

Best in 4 player, which is a bit tricky these days, but the 2 player is very enjoyable nonetheless! 

• 5 months later...
On 02/04/2020 at 13:16, jonnyalpha said:

Finally got Nusfjord to the table, after picking it up at this price back in February, and it's excellent. God knows why it was being sold off so cheaply -- it was an absolute bargain at this price. I thought I was doing really well up until the final scoring revealed I was actually in last place (3 player game). Highly recommended.