Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine

1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

and the heat-blur effect is just god-awful

I feel it was probably used to good effect to paper over some cracks on the GC, but it feels really overdone on Switch. 

Well, I'm a confirmed Nintendo fan boy. This is a great compilation. Sunshine looks fantastic after its HD upgrade. Galaxy still looks and plays dreamily. Mario 64 looks cleaner, sharper but it's beginning to show it's age now against its peers. But being nearly 25 years old I'm not surprised. Can't wait to see what else Nintendo have got planned for Mario that they didn't announce in the 35th anniversary direct.

1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

God I hate Sunshine. I knew I did but I’m shocked at how quickly I got fucked off with it again. I don't think shooting water with fludd is ever truly enjoyable. It's wildly uncontrollable while running and not a lot better when locked in position. The cooldown means that by the time you are actually hitting your target you need to start all over again. Horrible 

and the heat-blur effect is just god-awful

Worst of all it makes you do loads of stuff twice for no reason. Like when you rip the 4 tentacles off the octopus near the start (which is fiddly enough) and pull the thing out of his gob, the fucker regenerates and makes you do it all again. Or when you have to squirt water at the piranha plants to make the new levels appear, you have to beat them twice for some reason. Just fuck off. 

19 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

They really just muted “R” from “R button” in the tutorial in Sunshine because it didn’t match any more huh? :lol: 

yeah I chuckled at that

Game Over on the first void level. I have never been as bad at a game as I am at Sunshine

17 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Just played 15 mins of Mario 64 there.

I don't care if it's emulated, I don't care if it's lazy, I don't care if they've made it with old newspaper and felt tips. It's Mario 64 on a console that's connected up to my TV and oh god this is only the beginning. It is the best £50 I have spent this year. 

Exactly how I felt this morning. Only in bed handheld.

Firing it up on the TV now!

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

Playing it on the same console that’s home to Super Mario Odyssey makes it more apparent that Super Mario Sunshine really needs a backwards flip.

You just turn around and press jump.

I gave up on sunshine previously because to rotate the camera right you had to move it left and to add insult to injury you could not invert  up and down either, why do the Japanese continue to torture me, I have been playing like this since the ZX81 and Spectrum...this used to be the dafault setting for games until some hippy got put in charge...probably.

Sunshine looks pretty good, but damn it’s hard to control. The minor changes to the controls are fucking with my muscle memory, I wish I could play it with a GameCube controller. How many levels in is Noki Bay? I’ve just unlocked the theme park.

Argh, that damn fat racing penguin!

Beat him first time to my surprise... promptly jumped to the star, missed and ran out the door of the hut, which you cannot re-enter :( Took me another 5 attempts to get to the end rather than plummeting to my death!

1 minute ago, thesnwmn said:

Argh, that damn fat racing penguin!

Beat him first time to my surprise... promptly jumped to the star, missed and ran out the door of the hut, which you cannot re-enter :( Took me another 5 attempts to get to the end rather than plummeting to my death!

I did something similar in that I twice earned the 100-coins star while sliding and wasn't able to grab it only to discover it doesn't reappear unless you exit the stage and do it all again.

4 hours ago, Paulando said:

Playing it on the same console that’s home to Super Mario Odyssey makes it more apparent that Super Mario Sunshine really needs a backwards flip.

Oh my FUCK, it does! Press jump while spraying with R :lol:

Not managed to get the cart back from my youngest yet who has been wetting himself with excitement for this since it was announced.

He’s started with Galaxy and seems to be loving it so far....

Anyway bed time now so I’ll finally get a go. Think I’m going to start with Sunshine as it must be 15 years since I last played it

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine