Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine

My only weird disappointment with revisiting Sunshine right now - and bear in mind I've only played it for about an hour - is that it feels like it's taking a long time to get to some meaty gameplay. 

Mario 64's camera is really bothering me but there's a very instant feeling of picking a star, hunting that star, you're just in a level and playing

In Sunshine I suddenly felt a bit overwhelmed by the town and it took a while to just get into a level. This is a weird criticism but it's partly because the reason I bought this straight away was I liked the idea of being able to just quickly grab a shine / star / whateveritisingalaxy while I have 15 mins on the switch, rather than being able to sit down and have a longer session. But I guess this is just the early phases of actually unlocking the portals.

I think that's something in Odyssey's favour, it's really quite irritating in Mario 64 to be kicked out of the level when you get a star and know you want to grab more. Each level in Odyssey was delightfully 'open world' enough that you could just explore a little bit, jump around, or actually find a moon. I really felt like it allowed a quick burst, or a long session of play.

I've never really played Galaxy though so I'm looking forward to getting properly into that, and I'm enjoying the positive words in here.

Yeah, I’m loving Super Mario Sunshine. 30-odd shines now. It does have all the hallmarks of a Mario game that was released too early, and didn’t receive the level of polish the other games have: repeated bosses (that fucking gooper blooper), frustrating Yoshi stages, and clunky/overly difficult shines (although I completed the pachinko stage on my second go because I’m a fucking Mario wizard). I doubt Yoshi being destroyed by water in a game filled with water would have survived had the game been in development for another year or two.

I think it’s the beautiful setting and incredible music that gets me the most though! Both are perfect.

13 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Yeah, I’m loving Super Mario Sunshine. 30-odd shines now. It does have all the hallmarks of a Mario game that was released too early, and didn’t receive the level of polish the other games have: repeated bosses (that fucking gooper blooper), frustrating Yoshi stages, and clunky/overly difficult shines (although I completed the pachinko stage on my second go because I’m a fucking Mario wizard).

I think it’s the beautiful setting and incredible music that gets me the most!

Name of your sex tape.

18 hours ago, Stanley said:

Yeah but also by comparison Banjo Kazooie is a dull and soulless affair no matter how much it’s cleaned up, and I thought that about it on release on the N64 if I’m being honest with myself, even with all the hype surrounding it I could never quite shake that feeling, maybe because of the hype. 

Rubbish, Banjo Kazooie is dripping with British charm.

And it had better music than Mario 64...

Having never played Galaxy before, I picked this up at the weekend off the back of all the praise for how well it runs. It really does look stunning for a Wii game! If I knew nothing of the game and you told me it was a Wii U port I'd believe it. 15 stars in so far and having a great time. I'm even enjoying the gyro controls for the special stages and picking up star bits.

I replayed SM64 very recently on an N64 so I have less of an inclination to revisit that. I can't imagine it controlling so perfectly without the N64 controller or the visuals working quite as well without that unique look you can only get from the N64's fuzzy anti-aliasing filtering output on a CRT.

Sunshine on the other hand I will definitely be replaying on this. I have reservations about how well FLUDD will work without analog triggers, but I'm hoping that will be outweighed by the game running at 16:9 at a higher resolution and getting caught up in that breezy Delfino atmosphere. I never did 120 shine the original, so I have that to rectify as well if I have the patience for the blue coin hunt.

The thing that’s really throwing me in Sunshine is that they mapped X and Y to the X and Y buttons. On the GC pad, Y was at the top and X was at the right, but on the Joycon X is on top and Y is on the left.

I hope they don’t make the same mistake on Metroid. You need to be able to rock straight from A to Y.

20 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

I never did 120 shine the original, so I have that to rectify as well if I have the patience for the blue coin hunt.

My original save on the JPN GC version has 111 stars. I refused to use an FAQ that time. This time will be different. 

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

I doubt Yoshi being destroyed by water in a game filled with water would have survived had the game been in development for another year or two.

There are very few stages where you have to use him, and they’re generally the hardest ones because of this so I think it makes sense.

46 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

You fucking take that back. Diddy Kong Racing > MK64. :quote:

That’s not exactly a high bar, MK64 is the worst game in the series. I’d rather play double dash.

32 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/09/dataminer_shares_new_details_about_the_emulation_in_super_mario_3d_all-stars

Say what you will about Sunshine and how little they've done to it, but if it's opening the door to more Cube stuff coming over, I'll gladly take it. Especially if they're expanding the Nintendo Online library to include Gamecube and Wii games.

Gimme dat F Zero GX goodness. And Chibi Robo. 

5 minutes ago, Broker said:

There are very few stages where you have to use him, and they’re generally the hardest ones because of this so I think it makes sense.

Hard stages are fine (the long final stage in Super Mario Odyssey comes to mind, a good example of challenging gameplay), but the Yoshi stages are plain dull/frustrating. The one where you have to hop between the boats around Delfino Plaza is an epic pain in the arse; if you fail you need to get another Yoshi and sit around all day waiting for the boats. It just isn’t fun, and surely would’ve/should’ve been chopped if this had more development time.

Using the fruit machine to get the yoshi in Ricco Harbor is a pain in the arse too, and you need to do it every time. I had to jump down and move the wrong fruit each time, otherwise a second fruit would bounce off into the water.

Not to mention, Yoshi not being able to swim doesn’t fit with the Super Mario World canon :quote:

The game forcing you to repeat long sections as a fail state isn’t just an issue with Yoshi though, it seems to be an intentional design decision, like it’s what inspired Getting Over It or something. 

3 minutes ago, Broker said:

The game forcing you to repeat long sections as a fail state isn’t just an issue with Yoshi though, it seems to be an intentional design decision, like it’s what inspired Getting Over It or something. 

It’s less having a problem with repeating long sections, and more about those long sections being incredibly dull and/or frustrating, which tends to be the case with Yoshi. Anything involving Mario is fine - I love jumping around and sliding about, which makes controlling Yoshi all the more jarring.

40 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

My original save on the JPN GC version has 111 stars. I refused to use an FAQ that time. This time will be different. 

I only ever used one as a last resort. I remember I was stuck on one level for two hours with no idea what I should do, then finally caved and got a level title translation of something really simple (no idea what after all these years, but akin to “Climb the house with the red roof” or whatever!).

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/09/dataminer_shares_new_details_about_the_emulation_in_super_mario_3d_all-stars

Say what you will about Sunshine and how little they've done to it, but if it's opening the door to more Cube stuff coming over, I'll gladly take it. Especially if they're expanding the Nintendo Online library to include Gamecube and Wii games.

Oh. Oh oh. I'm quite happy to pay £59.99 for the Gamecube FZero to be lazily emulated on Switch. 

For someone who never played it, I'm finding Sunshine to be fun. I'm not sure which of the Void levels is supposed to be hard, because I'm done three so far and they've all been fine (well, maybe apart from that first one that looked a Super Monkey Ball level complete with a bonkers gradient and lots of places to fall off). I assume they get much harder?

The third tried to tempt me with a 1UP mushroom right before the Shine and I just knew that I would plunge to my doom trying to get it, so wisely ignored it and grabbed the Shine instead. 

On a different note, I understand that "X + Get!" works in Japanese but doesn't quite translate into English, it still makes sense and so just having "SHINE!" appear when you collect one seems a bit off. It won't ruin my childhood by any stretch of the imagination but it seems like an odd thing to be fixing. Serves me right for not playing it in Japanese I guess. 

15 hours ago, PyramidFace said:

It's noticeable that the pre-release Sunshine defence force is completely AWOL now 3D All Stars is actually out. It's just not a good game at all. Fortunately this re-release seems to have strangled any depraved nostalgia for it at birth.

You must be kidding. It's immense! I also like how effortlessly it slips into HD, much like Galaxy. I'm mindful that I've no interest in this strange competition between the two, but playing them in tandem I much prefer its snappier movement to Mario 64's. Hardly surprising given how much more mature 3D was by then. 

2 hours ago, cowfields said:

Oh. Oh oh. I'm quite happy to pay £59.99 for the Gamecube FZero to be lazily emulated on Switch. 

Now let's be fair.

It'd be F-Zero All Stars.

You'd get the SNES, N64 AND Cube ones lazily emulated on Switch for that.

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

Now let's be fair.

It'd be F-Zero All Stars.

You'd get the SNES, N64 AND Cube ones lazily emulated on Switch for that.

Include the track editor from the 64DD release and I'm fucking in day one.

10 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Include the track editor from the 64DD release and I'm fucking in day one.

Definitely. I'm still shocked that this never saw the light of day on any re-release.  I was going to say Port but F-Zero X has never really been ported has it?  We've had virtual console releases and that's it? 

You’ll never see that track editor, it was massively hampered by limitations in DD memory and isn’t anywhere near as exciting as it sounds. Even if they didn’t bother to fix that, they’d need to spend money and effort translating it into English which they won’t. 

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine