Jump to content

Super Mario 3D All-Stars - The Chris Pratt Collection


Mr. Gerbik
 Share

Recommended Posts

Did 50 stars on Mario 64 and just can’t be arsed anymore. Started SMS and it instantly feels so much better. Only 12 Shines in but it’s so much nicer to control than Mario 64.

 

Mario 64 was incredible at the time but really shows it’s age now. I’m willing to bet there is a correlation between people’s age on here and fondness for 64 over Sunshine. I never had Mario 64 when it came out but got Sunshine on release day and really loved it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mario 64 is one of those few games which you can have a quick blast for 5 minutes and achieve something or spend hours playing in one session and get loads done. It constantly rewards you for trying stuff, nothing is really signposted, the fluidity of Mario’s movement, ingenious level design. It’s all just brilliant.
 

Not just one of the most important games ever, but one of the best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Max Damage said:

Mario sunshine - Secret of the village underside, worst level so far, good luck with that one peeps.


This wasn’t too bad actually. It’s poorly designed, but as @Mr Combo Breaker says, it depends on the direction you face them. Not fun in the slightest mind, and I am dreading the timed red coin shine on this level.

 

I’ve come to the conclusion that the worst ‘main’ shine in the game is on the island around Delfino Plaza that you need to get a Yoshi to. You need to use squirts of water to direct a leaf around a flowing river while the leaf sinks. Fucking dreadful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Did 50 stars on Mario 64 and just can’t be arsed anymore. Started SMS and it instantly feels so much better. Only 12 Shines in but it’s so much nicer to control than Mario 64.

 

Mario 64 was incredible at the time but really shows it’s age now. I’m willing to bet there is a correlation between people’s age on here and fondness for 64 over Sunshine. I never had Mario 64 when it came out but got Sunshine on release day and really loved it. 

I played Sunshine first and loved, then played 64 and loved that too. But going back to them now, I really can't get on with Sunshine at all. Although, one thing that I do like is how small you can make Mario by pulling the camera back. I also get some Super Monkey Balls vibes from the void levels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I’m nearing 70 stars on Mario 64 after probably not too many hours. So far there’s been one or two stars where I’m just wondering what the designers were thinking as they are either super easy (star hidden on the map somewhere behind an object you need to jump to) or just come across as lazy.

 

But what I’m really thinking is how at the time Mario 64 felt like a game that would take months to complete. Sure I have the internet now and my previous knowledge playing through it but even so I’m going through it at quite a pace. Maybe with less games we just enjoyed them more back then rather than trying to rush through them but I do think playing it at a more relaxed pace benefits then game more than trying to power through it in a weekend like we so often do with games now.

I think that’s part of it. I haven’t found the metal cap switch yet and there are a bunch of next stars where the titles suggest I need to find secrets. At the time I’d be happy to wander around everywhere for ages trying to make progress but now the worlds don’t seem interesting enough to spend a long time in them, I’ve lost the wonder at just being in a 3D world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After finishing 64 in a few days and starting Sunshine I put it down after about 3 shines. Came back today after about 5 days and I hate it.

 

I don’t like Flood and how it stops you in your tracks. It’s used too much for just little things that annoy me. Reveal a new level in the over world and for some reason I still have to shoot the M portal with water to activate it. Pointless shit.

 

So after a few more shines I’ve just left it. Jumped into Galaxy and my go, relief. So much fun right from the get go. Just Mario. None of the bullshit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fuck me the camera and controls in SM64 is passing me right off now. Killed the big boo on the haunted house balcony. How the fuck do I get up to the star on the roof, I've made it over to the roof at the side once and the camera is just awful that I can't see where/how to go next. And every time I fall I have to try getting back up there which takes an age when trying to do that wee side-flip angled wall jump to get into the attic. Infuriating, don't remember having any issues on the N64 or DS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Azrael said:

Fuck me the camera and controls in SM64 is passing me right off now. Killed the big boo on the haunted house balcony. How the fuck do I get up to the star on the roof, I've made it over to the roof at the side once and the camera is just awful that I can't see where/how to go next. And every time I fall I have to try getting back up there which takes an age when trying to do that wee side-flip angled wall jump to get into the attic. Infuriating, don't remember having any issues on the N64 or DS. 


I actually just long jumped from one side to the middle sloppy bit and end up on top even though I didn’t expect to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, thesnwmn said:


I actually just long jumped from one side to the middle sloppy bit and end up on top even though I didn’t expect to.

 

I long jumped over to one bit, then triple jumped to the top, then ran along and dropped down to star. Surprised I didn't fall off at any point 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Fuck me the camera and controls in SM64 is passing me right off now. Killed the big boo on the haunted house balcony. How the fuck do I get up to the star on the roof, I've made it over to the roof at the side once and the camera is just awful that I can't see where/how to go next. And every time I fall I have to try getting back up there which takes an age when trying to do that wee side-flip angled wall jump to get into the attic. Infuriating, don't remember having any issues on the N64 or DS. 


I can’t get to the balcony. Trying to jump through the boo painting with the invisible cap while not knowing where I’m aiming at is infuriating. I’ve been trying to triple jump there but is there another method? 
 

I remember at the time the camera in Mario 64 was considered perfect. Shows how dreadful those early 3D games were. I couldn't imagine trying to play Croc or Rayman 2 today. 
 

It’s also answered my question of which is the better 3D platformer of that era Nights or Mario 64.  I’ve swung between both over the years and although Night’s use of 3D is technically 2.5D it’s use of 3D space has aged so much better. Still an amazing game to play especially given the lovingly done 360/PS3 upgrade.
 

An upgrade is still something I think won’t work with Mario 64. It really needs a remake to bring it up to 21st century standards. A lot of the stars are based around exploring the 3D space, which was a novelty back then but just a given now so feel pointless and easily achievable or just nonsensical. A lot of the levels need reimagining a bit too, and yes the camera need tweaking with full control of it being given to the player. 


Still a great game but I wouldn’t use it as an entrance into 3D platformers anymore. Odyssey and Galaxy are just far more better in the year 2020. It’s a shame but Mario 64 feels more like a curio for those who want to know where it all began. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:


I can’t get to the balcony. Trying to jump through the boo painting with the invisible cap while not knowing where I’m aiming at is infuriating. I’ve been trying to triple jump there but is there another method?


Getting into the attic is an angled wall jump from the raised bit in the corner.

 

Big boo balcony is just out the doors from the attic room.

 

No invisibility cap required for any of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Nights but even at the time it was nowhere near in the same league as Mario 64. In fact, the “3D platforming” (the non-kite flying bits, where said kite flying makes up the actual “game” part of Nights) with the kids walking around felt like a complete knee jerk me-too reaction to what Mario 64 was ushering in at the time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they do start adding N64 games to the Nintendo online service with this emulator I guess they’ll have to be pretty selective. The N64 effectively had 6 face buttons but some games such as mario 64 can port easily as the c buttons can be substituted by the right stick.
 

Others which used the c buttons as conventional action buttons, thinking of something like International Superstar Soccer 64, would need a bit of a rejig. Maybe two of the buttons could map to the r1/l1 buttons, but it would be pretty cumbersome. 
 

Anyway back to the all stars package, I’ve got a fair way into Mario Sunshine. It’s as annoying as I remembered. Nintendo’s adage of “a delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad” is absolutely on point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

If they do start adding N64 games to the Nintendo online service with this emulator I guess they’ll have to be pretty selective. The N64 effectively had 6 face buttons but some games such as mario 64 can port easily as the c buttons can be substituted by the right stick.

 

Others which used the c buttons as conventional action buttons, thinking of something like International Superstar Soccer 64, would need a bit of a rejig. Maybe two of the buttons could map to the r1/l1 buttons, but it would be pretty cumbersome. 

 

Games have managed with four face buttons on every platform for 20 years now, so I’m sure re-mapping will work out just fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I’m nearing 70 stars on Mario 64 after probably not too many hours. So far there’s been one or two stars where I’m just wondering what the designers were thinking as they are either super easy (star hidden on the map somewhere behind an object you need to jump to) or just come across as lazy.

 

I think Nintendo included stars that were trivial to get as they were easing a lot of people into their first 3D platformer. With that said, my overriding feeling of playing Mario 64 now is of Nintendo learning how to craft the experience along with their audience learning how to play it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Up to 77 stars now. The list of levels I've finished is now longer than the list of levels I need to beat so reaching 120 stars now seems doable. 

 

I don't like Tick Tock Clock.

 

After finding my DS copy of 64 it seems that I got 85 stars on that. It doesn't seem possible for that to have happened. I was more patient then I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I like Nights but even at the time it was nowhere near in the same league as Mario 64. In fact, the “3D platforming” (the non-kite flying bits, where said kite flying makes up the actual “game” part of Nights) with the kids walking around felt like a complete knee jerk me-too reaction to what Mario 64 was ushering in at the time.

 


I’d also point out the the Nights pad was far superior to the N64 pad in every way. It’s basically been the framework of every gaming pad since the transition from 2D to 3D worlds. It made controlling in 3D space a dream. And as I said flying around in Nights is still pure joy today, whilst you’re wrestling with the camera in Mario. But two different games, and as Mario 64 was trying to be a fuller 3D experience it’s aged. I’d love a complete remix of 64 but on the other have that time and effort could be used to make an Odyssey 2. 
 

I’ve always judged Nights and Mario 64 as equals. I’ll have to disagree with 64 being far superior, although it was far more influential. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.