Super Mario 3D All-Stars - The Chris Pratt Collection

Mr. Gerbik

Galaxy is such a joy. Not sure if I ever finished it on Wii but it just feel so right. The pointer stuff isn’t too bad, although I have skipped passed the ghost house race level at the moment. Otherwise I’ve done all the standard stars (I.e. the first 3 on each galaxy) before moving on.

40 Shines Get!

Rinsed all of the first two worlds, a few others dotted about, and have most on Pinna Park (the balloon popping one currently eludes me). Still baffles me people have trouble with the ferris wheel one's camera as I was up and out the top before I remembered that was the one people complain about.

Finding it tricky remembering to press X, not R, to change nozzle though, and after 64 really missing the long jump and crouch-backflip.

On 25/09/2020 at 19:00, Colonel Panic said:

67 stars into Galaxy and I'm trying it docked for the first time. Normally, I use a Pro Controller, but split Joycons works great here! I kinda like the pointer and shake to spin waggle!

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

Oh my God how good is Mario Galaxy in docked mode with joycons ? It’s like all my prayers for a Wii HD have been answered, just a decade or so late! It’s wonderful! 

I know, right????

I'll tell you what though, the Ghost House purple star is really hard with touch screen controls, but super enjoyable docked.

3 hours ago, deKay said:

40 Shines Get!

Rinsed all of the first two worlds, a few others dotted about, and have most on Pinna Park (the balloon popping one currently eludes me). Still baffles me people have trouble with the ferris wheel one's camera as I was up and out the top before I remembered that was the one people complain about.

Finding it tricky remembering to press X, not R, to change nozzle though, and after 64 really missing the long jump and crouch-backflip.

Why would you press R to change nozzle?

The confusing part for me playing it are the following:

The X axis camera is not inverted, which confuses me.

I'm so used to moving my thumb sideways a bit to hit the GC X button to toggle nozzles that going up is tricking me out when I'm being acrobatic as fuck.

I wish the hover/alt nozzles were a permanent, separate button of their own rather than on a toggle tbh.

Finding Sunshine pretty frustrating at times after enjoying a 120 Star playthrough of 64. There's a load of narrow, vertical platforming in the early stages and it's tedious to trek back following failure. Some other sections are also needlessly punitive (collecting red coins while surfing squid results in lives lost if you collide with anything). It can still be fun but its definitely less immediately enjoyable.

Mario Galaxy HD is worth the price of admission alone in this most blatant of cash-grabs - imo.

Which is just as well, as I still can't get into Sunshine at all. Same as 17 years ago. Not being able to use the Switch GC controllers only adds insult to injury, as I instantly missed the satisfaction of the analogue FLUDD control. Which reminded me how odd the GC library always seemed to me in that its best games didn't include a proper Mario platform game.

I might give it some more time, but by the time I'm through with Galaxy, the sublime 2nd one might already be available.

15 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

To celebrate this release I told my classic story on Twitter about how I was the first non-industry person in the entire world to obtain and play Super Mario Sunshine. I probably told it here before in the preceding 15 years, but I really can't remember. So, I'll tell it right here because it belongs in this thread.

I live in Japan now, and every day I wake up resentful of the fact that I live here in a time of worldwide simultaneous releases. In six years, I think I had Smash Bros 3DS and Pokémon Sun two weeks early. That's it.

I long for the times when Super Mario Sunshine came out in early July in Japan (you know, Sunshine when the sun.. shines, it makes sense) rather than in the middle of October. 

Heck, I'd happily stab all you westerners in the back, and have it like the 90s where some games and hardware just flat out didn't come out anywhere else but Japan. I'd sit and play my 64DD or Mother 3. 

Instead what do I get? Because of the 8/9 hour time difference, I get a slight head start on you all. Even then, I can't play until I get back from work and either go to the shop or get to my mail, so even that advantage is curtailed if I buy physical games.

I want a smug, unfounded sense of superiority, dammit.  

Slowly making progress in Mario 64 - up to 36 stars, and have just beaten Bowser for the second time.

I wanted to ask though.... is there any way of actually aiming him at the bombs around the arena?  It feels like it’s pot luck when I let go of him as to where he ends up, even when I try to time it so he’ll fly towards a bomb.

15 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

I wanted to ask though.... is there any way of actually aiming him at the bombs around the arena?

Yes, but it's easier to lure him close to one as then you can throw him while spinning much slower.

42 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Slowly making progress in Mario 64 - up to 36 stars, and have just beaten Bowser for the second time.

I wanted to ask though.... is there any way of actually aiming him at the bombs around the arena?  It feels like it’s pot luck when I let go of him as to where he ends up, even when I try to time it so he’ll fly towards a bomb.

I gave up at that very boss fight ;_;

Actually shocked at how difficult I was finding the throwing.

3 hours ago, Parksey said:

I live in Japan now, and every day I wake up resentful of the fact that I live here in a time of worldwide simultaneous releases. In six years, I think I had Smash Bros 3DS and Pokémon Sun two weeks early. That's it.

I long for the times when Super Mario Sunshine came out in early July in Japan (you know, Sunshine when the sun.. shines, it makes sense) rather than in the middle of October. 

Heck, I'd happily stab all you westerners in the back, and have it like the 90s where some games and hardware just flat out didn't come out anywhere else but Japan. I'd sit and play my 64DD or Mother 3. 

Instead what do I get? Because of the 8/9 hour time difference, I get a slight head start on you all. Even then, I can't play until I get back from work and either go to the shop or get to my mail, so even that advantage is curtailed if I buy physical games.

I want a smug, unfounded sense of superiority, dammit.  

Just drop a couple of italicised Japanese words into every post, man. SUPERIORITY.

Up to 91 stars so I've gotten more done on this than I managed on the DS version. I'm officially better using an analog stick than a touchscreen slider shoe thing. 

10 worlds fully done and at least one star got in each remaining world. Getting the last two stars in Tall Tall mountain felt significant as getting down to that last 25% of the game makes the end feel like it's coming into focus. 

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

Mario 64. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have you thrown out the castle if you fail the second red cap flying stage (on the top floor of the castle) needs a swift punch in the dick. Fucking hell. :angry:

Yep that is fucking bullshit. The same with the concept of ‘lives’ in all the games. 

This might be controversial but Mario games should allow you to press start and restart a level at any time. Mario is fun to control when you’re zooming around to the next level, but when you’re 5 minutes into a level and carefully lining up a jump and the camera swings round and then you get dumped out back to outside the palace it’s like Jesus I just can’t be fucked. 

At the time it was released it was totally worth it because it was the magical world but as an adult it’s just frustrating. 

Basically I enjoy the challenge of levels but I don’t enjoy the punishment when you fuck up. Running back to start the level and get back to where I was feels like I’m wasting my time. 

tl;dr: I’m a mollycoddled modern gamer who can’t get through a 20yr old children’s game  without giving up

2 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Yep that is fucking bullshit. The same with the concept of ‘lives’ in all the games. 

This might be controversial but Mario games should allow you to press start and restart a level at any time. Mario is fun to control when you’re zooming around to the next level, but when you’re 5 minutes into a level and carefully lining up a jump and the camera swings round and then you get dumped out back to outside the palace it’s like Jesus I just can’t be fucked. 

At the time it was released it was totally worth it because it was the magical world but as an adult it’s just frustrating. 

Basically I enjoy the challenge of levels but I don’t enjoy the punishment when you fuck up. Running back to start the level and get back to where I was feels like I’m wasting my time. 

tl;dr: I’m a mollycoddled modern gamer who can’t get through a 20yr old children’s game  without giving up

On Dolphin you can quick save at the press of a button at the start of every level if you so desire

55 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

On Dolphin you can quick save at the press of a button at the start of every level if you so desire

I love on the NES and SNES Switch games how you can rewind, I’d like that in every game it’s just a superb feature. 

I'm currently having much more fun 20 stars into Sunshine than I was with my 120 star Mario 64 playthrough. Maybe it's because I'd already replayed Mario 64 numerous times over the years, and Sunshine I've never replayed, but something about it felt off this time. The jankiness of it; the camera not working and the movement not being solid made it feel very troublesome in the later stages. On Rainbow Ride it's super obvious when the movement mechanics are fucked, like when you're jumping back onto the moving carpet Mario kinda slides onto it instead of jumping if you're too close to it, so if you're already correcting a jump you know you overdid you end up appearing right on it and then running back off it again. That happens a lot with some of the precision stuff where you're jumping on moving objects.

Mario 64 will always be the better game just because of what it did, and anyone who says otherwise is a buffoon, but I'm definitely having a lot more fun with Sunshine right now.

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I love on the NES and SNES Switch games how you can rewind, I’d like that in every game it’s just a superb feature. 

Since this collection is emulation based, they could have implemented a quick-save/load feature if they wanted. I think that's an excellent optional QOL addition to older games.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Since this collection is emulation based, they could have implemented a quick-save/load feature if they wanted. I think that's an excellent optional QOL addition to older games.

Yes it’s brilliant, I’ve gone through a few old NES games that way that I otherwise wouldn’t bother with because they’re too old and antiquated in their systems, this breathes new life into them.