Super Mario 3D All-Stars - The Chris Pratt Collection

Mr. Gerbik

40 Shines into Sunshine and it's an appalling dip in quality coming straight from 64. So many unfair Shines and tedious tests of patience. I've fallen straight through solid objects a dozen or so times as well. Having Yoshi fizz away like a berocca if he touches the water's surface is a real anti-fun choice too.

Weird game. Still enjoyable when it's doing things right but it's very inconsistent. 

EDIT: This post was brought to you by a recent but ongoing huff about those damned Yoshi boats.

I don't remember Tick-Tock Clock in Mario 64 being so hard.  Even on 'stopped' & 'slow' it kicked my butt repeatedly, & I only got all it Stars in the end by moving very slowly & methodically.

Either there are subtle differences in the controls or i'm just not as good at games as i was in 1997, which is a depressing thought.

1 minute ago, Jarik said:

Either there are subtle differences in the controls or i'm just not as good at games as i was in 1997, which is a depressing thought.

One subtle difference is that previous Nintendo sticks had notches so you could move exactly in those 8 directions, another is the input lag modern screens have compared to CRT's back-in-the-day.

33 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

One subtle difference is that previous Nintendo sticks had notches so you could move exactly in those 8 directions, another is the input lag modern screens have compared to CRT's back-in-the-day.

The input lag is very low in this version...unlike the Wii U virtual console version, which is really, really bad for input lag. 

42 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

I hadn't considered Input Lag.  I recently got a new TV & was playing Paper Mario: The Origami King while also fiddling with the settings trying to adjust for the pretty bad motion blur which I was pretty sure shouldn't be there.  I eventually found out that Game Mode had been activated upon all inputs & upon turning it off this immediately improved the visuals but at the same time threw off the Action Command timing.  As i much preferred the smoother visuals i decided to just put up with the lag & relearn the timing.

It would be interesting to re-enable it briefly & see if the game then plays more like i remember on the N64.

1 hour ago, Jarik said:

I hadn't considered Input Lag.  I recently got a new TV & was playing Paper Mario: The Origami King while also fiddling with the settings trying to adjust for the pretty bad motion blur which I was pretty sure shouldn't be there.  I eventually found out that Game Mode had been activated upon all inputs & upon turning it off this immediately improved the visuals but at the same time threw off the Action Command timing.  As i much preferred the smoother visuals i decided to just put up with the lag & relearn the timing.

It would be interesting to re-enable it briefly & see if the game then plays more like i remember on the N64.

I thought game mode switched all processing off? 

It often has its own set of picture settings, so if (say) the TV’s normal mode had edge enhancement and sharpness and dynamic contrast turned way up my default, you’d have to go in and disable those a second time for game mode.

Also some TVs use a quicker, less good scaler when in game mode and you can’t get around that.

20 minutes ago, Chooch said:

I thought game mode switched all processing off? 

Yes, & that was apparently the problem.  Without processing, I had motion blur.  Not much, but it was there & it bothered me.  I turned off Game Mode & activated Intelligent Frame Creation, which smoothed the picture to a level I found acceptable at the (apparent) cost of adding a tiny bit more input lag.

28 minutes ago, Jarik said:

Yes, & that was apparently the problem.  Without processing, I had motion blur.  Not much, but it was there & it bothered me.  I turned off Game Mode & activated Intelligent Frame Creation, which smoothed the picture to a level I found acceptable at the (apparent) cost of adding a tiny bit more input lag.

:blink:

47 minutes ago, Jarik said:

You should be put on trial at The Hague for this...:blah:

16 minutes ago, GokouD said:

You should be put on trial at The Hauge for this...:blah:

To which my defense would be that after turning off Game mode I fiddled with the TV's settings for hours & nothing made any difference, except for turning on IFC which removed the Motion Blur.

How would the Prosecution respond?

I'm intending to play through each of these in sequence, but I can't remember the last time I played SM64, or if I've ever completed it, never mind 120'd it.

Mario's movement controls tread a very fine line between "playful" and "frustrating". The fact that he takes massive turning circles if you move too quickly means you can fall off the edge of something you were just trying to move away from, or the way that a "gentle incline" is often more deadly than enemies if you get yourself stuck in a cycle of belly sliding and feeble jump correction. Let's not mention the amount of times I've failed to launch into flight on the third jump and plummeted into a sand pit. The camera's absolutely dreadful at times, too, and I keep accidently nudging the Switch's shoulder buttons, throwing the camera into a temporary "looking at Mario's arse" mode. It's quite a slow game, too, particularly any level with swimming in it.

Sure, it's a classic. Sure, this game invented analogue platformers. I'll give it some slack, but man it's trying at times.

I'm gonna do it, though! Not following a guide or anything yet.

25 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

You must have missed something.

IFC is NEVER the answer.

Unless the question is for what crimes against moving picture display is the death penalty reasonable.

Fair enough. When I get back to Mario 64 tonight to mop up those final few Stars I’ll turn off IFC, which will mean the TV will have no Picture processing going on at all.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Input lag is super low in this version, I doubt there’s anything between it and the original version, that’s where the tweaking and work had gone into this conversion. 

2 hours ago, Ketchup said:

The N64 sticks were fairly stiff with large travel, so it meant doing so movement was fairly easy where as joycon sticks especially are fairly loose with such a short range of travel that they do make the controls tougher.

Not only is the input lag low, the stick values have been mapped well in this version too. 

NERD are great and know what they're doing. 

MLiG have a good video up on this shit, the Switch version is discussed last in this video - 

On 26/09/2020 at 17:03, Azrael said:

Fuck me the camera and controls in SM64 is passing me right off now. Killed the big boo on the haunted house balcony. How the fuck do I get up to the star on the roof, I've made it over to the roof at the side once and the camera is just awful that I can't see where/how to go next. And every time I fall I have to try getting back up there which takes an age when trying to do that wee side-flip angled wall jump to get into the attic. Infuriating, don't remember having any issues on the N64 or DS. 

Man alive, this was a frustrating star!

Probably my favourite thing about Sunshine is that it was very obviously a case of Nintendo falling in love with the new button layout and quirky triggers they had come up with and deciding that come hell or high water, a Mario game was going to use them.

In hindsight Luigi’s Mansion should have sufficed but whatever.