Super Mario 3D All-Stars - The Chris Pratt Collection

Mr. Gerbik

1 hour ago, Sprite Machine said:

How the fuck did I not know you could RUN UP the four stone pillars in Shifting Sand Land?!

(More to the point, how the fuck did I get all the stars on that level without knowing the above?!)

Wing cap and butt stomp no doubt. Do love unexpected stuff like that happening in Mario 64. It really captures the vibe of SMB3 and having little things happen without sign posting it.

1 hour ago, Sprite Machine said:

How the fuck did I not know you could RUN UP the four stone pillars in Shifting Sand Land?!

(More to the point, how the fuck did I get all the stars on that level without knowing the above?!)

That’s why it’s a masterpiece, people still discovering new stuff all these years later. 

2 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

You probably used a koopa shell to glide across the sand and up the pillars.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

That’s why it’s a masterpiece, people still discovering new stuff all these years later. 

I watched a video recently and noticed two warp areas on certain stages that I never knew existed.

On a seperate note I finally broke down and bought this...then spent two hours on Mario 64 and falling in love with it all over again. It's pure charm and happiness. It's astonishing looking back at just how much nintendo got right with the game. At the time when I got my launch day n64 and mario I thought that the game was just amazing but looking back at it some 23 years later and reliving all those peices of brilliance just makes me appretiate it more. 

I'd forgotten how joyous the ice-skating in Galaxy is, pirouetting about the place. I could play a whole game with those mechanics. There's a bit, it might be in SMG2 actually, where you're in a slow swimmy level and then you freeze the planet and can skate about on the surface.

So good, Shovel Knight borrowed the skating for King of Cards.

5 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

I'd forgotten how joyous the ice-skating in Galaxy is, pirouetting about the place. I could play a whole game with those mechanics. There's a bit, it might be in SMG2 actually, where you're in a slow swimmy level and then you freeze the planet and can skate about on the surface.

Yeah! That ice skating is one of my favourite things in all of videogames. And wall-jumping up two waterfalls! I really oughta play King of Cards now.

7 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

Funnily enough I just did the first ice level this evening (Freezeflame). After one star I turned the game off for a bit, reminded that I hate all ice levels in all Mario games. Every time one crops up I sigh.

But yeah, the skating itself is quite nice.

6 hours ago, therearerules said:

God, I know I’m in a bad mood but I’m hating this(64 and sunshine). Seriously fucking bullshit deaths on the blooper race the lives system is so archaic I’m not sure I can be arsed with it anymore.

I had to step away from big, small island in 64 as big Mario’s movement was constantly killing me. It’s like he moves at 1.5 speed, it’s weird. 

19 hours ago, Jarik said:

Fair enough. When I get back to Mario 64 tonight to mop up those final few Stars I’ll turn off IFC, which will mean the TV will have no Picture processing going on at all.

Well, I turned off IFC & mopped up those final few stars in Rainbow Ride.  Didn’t notice any difference in picture, & I don’t know if it was a coincidence or not, but it seemed far easier to pull off those Triple & Long Jumps to the point where I felt confident enough to use them to shorten or skip entirely sections of the level.  It only took me three tries to get the 100 coins & one of those was because of that Lakitu getting in my way & messing up a jump between carpets.  The final Bowser section was a breeze, but when I actually fought him I had terrible trouble lining up that last throw when he shrinks the arena.  I just kept using the backflip trick & trying over & over until I got it right.

I’ll leave IFC off, but I might have to double-check how much of a difference it actually made to Animal Crossing: NH & Paper Mario: TOK.  Perhaps those are just blurry games, & everything else is fine?

Now on to Sunshine!

Galaxy tails off a wee bit towards the end. The last main set of galaxies (I think) is a bit copy/pasty. The bee level painted brown, the water ring level. It's still an excellent game but I'm pretty sure Galaxy 2 is a fair bit better although admittedly I haven't played that since it came out either. I recall Galaxy 2 doubling down on the best bits of the first game (mainly the linear or gravity heavy levels) and losing some of the slightly underwhelming open levels.

4 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Wow, I'd forgotten about that entrace hall to Tiny Huge Island. Not content with just inventing 3D platformers, Nintendo went and played with false perspective too. Amazing!

I don't think many games even today explore 3D space as much as Mario 64 did. They really said 'what can we do in 3D that we could never do in 2D' and really ran with it. Would love more games to mess with how 3D works in games, allowing characters to go through gaps in scenery, under cars or basically just explore looking up and down and around more, instead of just having a 3D enviroment with a camera that basically just runs through it.

I'm having a blast with Sunshine. It starts slowly, but once you get into a rhythm with the moveset, it's an absolute joy to play. I love the size and level of detail in each world, and the verticality that provides that sense of peril as you ascend to the top of Ricco Harbour and Noki Bay. 

I've had even less trouble with the camera than I did on the GC, no doubt due to the wider aspect ratio. With both this and Mario 64, I can only imagine those complaining about the camera and the life system haven't played a comparable game from these eras in a long time.

42 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

I can only imagine those complaining about the camera and the life system haven't played a comparable game from these eras in a long time.

That's actually an interesting gauntlet to throw down. My memory is failing me when it comes to other 3D platformers around that time. But I suspect it may be less a case that the camera was bad and more that the camera was lacking with regards to Mario's erratic moveset and the tight/vertical environments it had to cope with.

Finished off Sunshine this evening; have done Super Mario 64 to 100% I thought Id do the same for this but it's too frustrating too often so I'm gonna move on to Galaxy and just occasionally pop back in for a Shine here and there.

It does feel rushed compared to 64; too many weird deaths to unreliable surfaces or wonky physics. The boat near the end is still dreadful and its probably the worst final world of any Mario game.

Still a lot of fun to be had overall though; Mario's moveset is still great and the overall aesthetic is lovely. 

Up to 106 stars on SM64. I'm trying to do this without looking up any guides and just discovering things for myself, which is great, but it's getting really hard now.

80% of my problems stem from the camera. 15% from Mario's movement control. 5% from me being an impatient sod and trying to rush fiddly sections. :)

EDIT: 113 now!

Edited by Sprite Machine
STARS GET

Possible controversial opinion, but I really like Tick Tock Clock. And the flying carpet level.

It's those god awful levels where you have inclines that either lead to your doom or result in another ten minutes of trying to get back to where you were (the snow and desert worlds) that grind my gears.

Has anybody change their mind about Sunshine with this re-release?

I know there were a lot of people who took a strong dislike to it on release, and that seems to be reflected in opinions in this thread.  Then there were a lot of people who liked it on release, and who seem to be enjoying it again on Switch.

As one of those people with very fond memories of it on GameCube, I was kind of hoping that this re-release would rehabilitate its reputation somewhat, but it seems to be divisive in the same way it always was.

17 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Has anybody change their mind about Sunshine with this re-release?

Yes.

I always thought I was right about the camera and everyone else was wrong.

Now I *know* I’m right about the camera and everyone else is wrong.