Super Mario 3D All-Stars - The Chris Pratt Collection

Mr. Gerbik

I’ve gone through all 3 now ( just the story, not all the shines/stars) and I think I’ve spent most of my time with sunshine. I have such fond memories of playing this on my purple GameCube 18 years ago. It does have some really rough spots, and in some ways it doesn’t even feel like a Mario game (mario bros 2 anyone?) but I can’t help but love it. 

imagine if it was given the care and attention of all the later Mario games. Could be looking at perfection. 

On 01/10/2020 at 11:25, Sprite Machine said:

Up to 106 stars on SM64. I'm trying to do this without looking up any guides and just discovering things for myself, which is great, but it's getting really hard now.

I had to look up the last five stars, annoyingly. Walk through a wall on the mountain? Do Peach's race course again but with an unspecified time limit? I never would have found those. Hidden entrance to the aquarium I might have found eventually. Catch the bunny twice, I doubt it - I assumed that was impossible.

Worked all the rest out myself, though. 120 stars get!

(I'm never doing that again.)

EDIT:

Edited by Sprite Machine
Added my highlights video

I’ve no idea how I got 120 stars in Mario 64 back in 1997, before I had access to the internet. 

Anyway, with this collection I’ve had to drop Sunshine. It’s too infuriating. Mario 64 is so much more playable where did it all go wrong?!

Friend of mine got an N64 and Mario at launch at uni. Then he went home for the weekend, and I spent that weekend getting all 120 stars. I don't recall having any problems finding them, but I do remember getting 100 coins on Rainbow Ride was near impossible - I kept triggering the star at a place where I couldn't get it!

Friend came back, turned on his N64, and immediately deleted my save.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Friend of mine got an N64 and Mario at launch at uni. Then he went home for the weekend, and I spent that weekend getting all 120 stars. I don't recall having any problems finding them, but I do remember getting 100 coins on Rainbow Ride was near impossible - I kept triggering the star at a place where I couldn't get it!

Did said “friend” mysteriously disappear shortly afterwards and a new patio appear in your garden?!

10 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Did said “friend” mysteriously disappear shortly afterwards and a new patio appear in your garden?!

No.

But he did later marry my then girlfriend :(

(It's OK, I got a better one)

2 hours ago, deKay said:

A weekend?! I remember getting all 120 back then but it took months - or felt like it anyway. 

Just hit over a hundred on this play through. The only 1 I’ve had to look up so far was ‘Into the igloo’ - I had no recollection of that at all. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I honestly don't know what's worse, him deleting your complete Mario 64 save or him stealing your girlfriend.

Either way, I'm amazed you still refer to him as a friend. Just how awful are those you consider enemies?!

I wouldn't say he was my friend now (I've only spoken to him once or twice in the last decade), and he didn't steal my girlfriend - we'd already split up. It's all OK :)

If you explore the Worlds enough, I don't think any regular Star in Mario 64 can really elude you for long, what with their names being hints as to their locations.  The only one that might is "Mysterious Mountainside" in Tall Tall Mountain, as if you don't luck into it (as I did) you would have to test every wall on the way up.

The 100 Coin stars however... some worlds have only just enough coins & that's if you double back & take every route, so if you miss some (like the timed blues) it's start over.

17 minutes ago, Jarik said:

If you explore the Worlds enough, I don't think any regular Star in Mario 64 can really elude you for long, what with their names being hints as to their locations.  The only one that might is "Mysterious Mountainside" in Tall Tall Mountain, as if you don't luck into it (as I did) you would have to test every wall on the way up.

The 100 Coin stars however... some worlds have only just enough coins & that's if you double back & take every route, so if you miss some (like the timed blues) it's start over.

There’s a line of coins leading to that wall, hinting something is there. Alongside the star name I think it’s very discoverable. 

55 minutes ago, nightwaxon said:

I didn't even know that you got a star for getting 100 coins! :o

I think it's the same for Sunshine too, though the number of coins available is more dependent on which Shine you've selected.  I was casually exploring Bianco Hills on the first Shine & thought i was being thorough exploring both the village & the lake, but only got about 80 coins.  Perhaps you can only get 100+ on a later Shine when the level is more open?

42 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I think it's the same for Sunshine too, though the number of coins available is more dependent on which Shine you've selected.  I was casually exploring Bianco Hills on the first Shine & thought i was being thorough exploring both the village & the lake, but only got about 80 coins.  Perhaps you can only get 100+ on a later Shine when the level is more open?

I got 98 and no more to find on there. Didn't miss any as far as I can tell! I think you need to choose a shine where there's still gunk everywhere as clearing that up generates quite a few.

Honestly, why do you lot have so many problems with the camera. I’ve collected every shine in the game with just a few blue coins left and I’ve had about five moments where the camera got stuck on something and had to be coaxed out. Just zoom it out a bit and stop crying.