IGNORED

Super Mario 3D All-Stars - The Chris Pratt Collection

Mr. Gerbik

I got this today, mainly because I like Mario Sunshine, and am therefore late to the moanathon. I am pleased the invert control option is there as it would have gone straight back otherwise, but the game appears to have been completely ruined by input lag and imprecise jumping, which is not present on the GC version. I am also amazed that they have somehow made an 18 year old game have a worse framerate than the version it is a cash in of, which completely ruins the void sections.

I'm about 70 stars into Galaxy, and it really is great. I've always ranked it as the best Mario game, with the possible exception of 3D World, but I'm thinking now it might just be my favourite game ever. I haven't played it since it first came out, and I only got about as far into it as I am now because late 2007 was ridiculous for amazing games coming out every week, so I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

My only criticism would be that it's a bit too easy, hopefully the purple coin stars will address that.

• 1 month later...

Is it me, or is it really difficult to judge jump distances in Super Mario 64? Feels very trial and error to make many the of the jumps. Which ramps up the frustration factor and dampens the fun factor. I still think this is a landmark game and a work of genius...  But it’s definitely not as aged as well as I’d hoped in the (more than) two decades since I last played the game.

• 2 months later...

Anyone dithering over picking this up before it gets removed from the shop?

I assumed I would take the plunge but not sure I can be fussed now with the mixed response to the way it’s been put together. I never played 64 but did enjoy Sunshine at the time and only played probably 10 or so hours of Galaxy. 

20 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

I assumed I would take the plunge but not sure I can be fussed now with the mixed response to the way it’s been put together. I never played 64 but did enjoy Sunshine at the time and only played probably 10 or so hours of Galaxy. 

If you can't close your eyes and collect all 120 stars in your minds eye what are you even doing with your life.

I think it’s a great package. Would I love widescreen, higher res, more control options, sure, but I’m not really unhappy that they’re not there. I mean not long before these games came out (and at the same time as SM64 came out) we were dealing with the whole PAL/NTSC shit. Could it be a little better, yeah, but if you fancy playing these games on a console rather than via emulation then they’re fab.

1 hour ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Mario 64 and Galaxy are two of the best games ever, Nintendo didn’t want to mess with them too much. They’ve all been upscaled and look great and play better. 

I’m incredibly jealous that you’ve never played 64. 

Yep. I even have a voucher left over from getting 3D world which I’ve yet to ply more than an hour of. 

I’ll probably get it tonight. 

Yeah, they did a terrible job of packaging three of the greatest 3D platformers ever made, all rendered in HD, with updated sprites, Sunshine given a widescreen mode, and Galaxy made to work with standard controls, all for the £20 less than the latest Ratchet & Clank shitfest.

Buy it ffs.

Unless you're really desperate to have it digitally, you can probably ignore the cut-off date. You can get it reasonably cheap already so there are probably a tonne of unsold copies still floating around, and clearly there's plenty of people who wouldn't be too fussed with selling theirs when the novelty wears off.

8 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Unless you're really desperate to have it digitally, you can probably ignore the cut-off date. You can get it reasonably cheap already so there are probably a tonne of unsold copies still floating around, and clearly there's plenty of people who wouldn't be too fussed with selling theirs when the novelty wears off.

We're trying to give the man an education here, Alex.