Mortal Shell | Souls-esque Action RPG

Revival

This is currently sub-£14 on the Turkish PSN store, if you're happy setting up an account and using a Revolut card. I did this the other day to get FFVII:R and it was pretty painless. I posted a little guide in this thread:

I'd get it if I didn't have *checks* 64 other games in my pile of shame :unsure:

I'm liking this a fair bit, everything is solid and it has a great atmosphere. I'm finding it bloody hard though, that parry is a bit weird.

Got two shells now, and know where the third is but jesus its tricky. And obscure. Makes Dark Souls look signposted.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

It's currently less than £13 for Xbox at Curry's. I was going to wait for it to come to Game Pass, but this update suggests it'll be a while.

Good catch. The upcoming update has me deciding to jump in shortly. 

I was so shit at this. Couldn’t really get out of the starting area before giving up.  The long loading times on PS4 were too much with how fast I was dying.

Holy shit this game came out of nowhere for me. I got in on the technical beta and thought: well fuck this. All of the sudden decided to reinstall last week. I’ve got all the shells and all bar one of the weapons now and I am enjoying the shit out of this. I think the parry window is a bit too narrow. I would have made that wider and have the life gaining component lower. I have also had the odd input not being registered issue. But I love all the ideas and mechanics they build on top of the dark souls core. This is almost like from had done a tiny side project. 

I am enjoying the shit out of this. Starts brutally hard but almost gets too easy as you progress. I bought the tools. PSA: Buying the tools can be a horrible mistake. If you are liking the game make sure you investigate what they do before you make the purchase. The visual change they introduced was a real problem for me. 

I'm actually trying to get the Tar for it at the moment, so that I can get the trophy associated with it

Loving this, got the Enhanced Edition on Friday and have sunk 8 hours into it so far, 1 main temple down so far

I think Souls fans will really enjoy it

On 07/03/2021 at 09:59, Oz said:

I am enjoying the shit out of this. Starts brutally hard but almost gets too easy as you progress. I bought the tools. PSA: Buying the tools can be a horrible mistake. If you are liking the game make sure you investigate what they do before you make the purchase. The visual change they introduced was a real problem for me. 

I actually started over after the unfortunate event with the tools. I have played so much of this. I have now tried all the different shells and got particularly good with  Tiel. which is now my favourite. I have only now started learning another weapon. they have done an incredible job with this relatively simple game. the combat and movement is absolutely spot on. the game mechanics are spot on. maybe world design is not an interesting as dark souls. it is trying to emulate it but it is not as good. I wish I could promote this more in rllmuk. 

one thing I often feel makes a game for me IS player movement. this is what something like breath of the wild nails. just walking around has a sort of pleasing weight to it that I cannot quite explain. this is something I feel games like the latest batch of AC games gets completely wrong. Valhalla has this problem. it almost feels like the character is not connecting to the ground or hovering over it. it feels like the blows do not connect, even when they do. there is an elegance in mortal shell to everything related to combat. even the UI  and how it shows the enemy health bar. it is a labour of love and it clearly shows.  

• 5 weeks later...

I picked this up on the recommendation of a friend and I'm really digging it. After spending hours looping around the first main area and getting used to the combat I pushed on and discovered Temple Grounds where I managed to pretty much kill everything with the loss of my shell only once, using the tanky guy right now with a +2 starting sword which seems to be doing the job. Just backtracking for a tomb I missed. 

this thing got a ray tracing and DLSS update on PC. when you are not wearing a shell the character's skin is partially translucent. it fucking looks outstanding.

I feel like I am shouting into the void here on this thread. which is appropriate for the vibe of the game. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to starting this last night, found it super difficult to begin with but it's finally starting to click. 

When I am killed and lose my shell, do I only have one opportunity to get back into it? If I die, I go back to the sester and lose all my tsar and glimpses?

How should I be dealing with multiple enemies? They seem to be in clusters of 2 and 3.

For the first section, should I be looking to clear out and upgrade my shell before trying to tackle the first boss creature (wolf like thing)? I've found one additional shell who was behind the wold through a tunnel. 

Slightly unclear on the items usage.

Yes you get one chance. normally enemies have aggro areas which mean you can pull them one at a time. You can parry which gives you health back and invisibility frames to deal with multiple enemies as well. You need an item before you can parry. Some enemies aggro faster than others which is another way to deal with them one at a time. Use the hardening function as often as available. Try to learn to use it mid swing. I don’t think the bosses are particularly difficult  once you get hardening down. The first section is just a hub between the actual 4-5 sections the game has. There are no real bosses in there. You can tackle the areas in any order. There are a few bosses associated with getting new weapons. I think those have a sort of recommended order. I did a particularly hard one first and then the others were too easy. Please don’t use the ‘tools’ unless you have Googled what they do. 

Use and abuse your harden all the time. 

it’s a great mechanic that recharges for free and what makes this game easier than souls games.

ripostes give back health so learn to parry all grunts

parrying on an empty special gauge give you a bar of gauge so keep parrying

• 6 months later...
On 25/02/2021 at 22:36, Jamie John said:

It's currently less than £13 for Xbox at Curry's. I was going to wait for it to come to Game Pass, but this update suggests it'll be a while.

This is still in its plastic wrap on my shelf 🥲