Valorant - F2P competitive FPS by Riot - out now!

PK

Also for anyone starting the game at any point who's not a CS pro, here's the most important image I've run across in terms of getting my head around it: -

93721914_250991329414456_630287777832894464_n.jpg.e86c29a8f9d9b00696025aa6ed909b3b.jpg

... originally it was this, and the idea that you should creep around corners carefully, aiming down sights. Doing that just gets you killed as it narrows your focus. In fact, training yourself not to ADS automatically is super important anyway, because the guns are all pretty damned accurate for the first few shots so you don't even need it, and the split second going into it will just get your face murdered off. My issue now is that I'm not aiming down sights in appropriate situations, like trying to shoot somebody standing a long way away.

That stream tip worked as left it running for a bit over the weekend (maybe 4 hours) and got an invite today. 

Annoyingly no Mac support but I may be able to run it via parallels (it days it’s designed to run on old systems so worth a try)

Finally got to try this tonight. Wow, this is a bit good. Hard to explain why but I'm very impressed. It's certainly taken little bits from several games but no doubt this is going to be a monster of a success when it gets a full release.

12 hours ago, MattKB said:

That stream tip worked as left it running for a bit over the weekend (maybe 4 hours) and got an invite today. 

Annoyingly no Mac support but I may be able to run it via parallels (it days it’s designed to run on old systems so worth a try)

Yeah, basically designed to run on ancient machines. Obviously with cosmetics to purchase, they want as many people in the door as they possibly can.

Personally I love the cosmetic prices in Valorant because they're so expensive they've guaranteed that I'll never be tempted. I think I saw a knife for about £35. Worst part of it is that absolutely nothing looks better than the matte black normal gun skins at the moment.

58 minutes ago, vezna said:

Finally got to try this tonight. Wow, this is a bit good. Hard to explain why but I'm very impressed. It's certainly taken little bits from several games but no doubt this is going to be a monster of a success when it gets a full release.

I think the best description I've seen is "CS:GOverwatch". It doesn't have a vast amount in common with Overwatch outside it having characters with some powers. Oh, and Omen, who's basically Reapers mate from out of town who ended up going and working for his Dad's company rather than going to college or something. None of the characters feel particularly obnoxious either, apart from the first few times you meet Raze - but she's just there to teach you not to blob up.

As more people filter in, we should definitely organise some games. It gets much much better once you've got some people on Discord who can talk, rather than your team being: -

1. You

2. Silent Russian

3. Silent Russian

4. Guy who's better than you

5. Grumpy guy who's inexplicably angry whether you're winning or losing.

... not that I blame the poor old Russians. Riot just can't be bothered to comply with their voice chat laws.

Oh, and while I'm spamming here, in case you fancy actually putting a little bit of reading into things, this site is great: -

https://blitz.gg/valorant

It's got information on: -

- Weapons

- Maps 

- Callouts

- Characters

... and some fun stuff about specific areas of the map different characters can do cool stuff to get information or kill people in unexpected ways.

Just had the most ludicrously intense game of this. I was playing with four people I know and we adopted a newbie from our first game as he was brand new to the game and that's always a bit intimidating with these shooters. Played a couple of nice relaxing Unranked games, where we did pretty well. Final game of the evening before we stopped (still in Unranked) we ended up against a coordinated 5-stack who were absolute rushers, just forcing the spike down our throats as hard as they possibly could.

We instantly went 0-5 down because we had absolutely no idea what was going on. We ended up managing to get our shit together and putting up some sort of resistance and managed to pull it back to 6-6 at the switch, and then did much better on the offense and got to 12-7. At that point it flipped around and they managed to figure out our shit and pulled it all the way back to 12-12. It was just so frustrating watching them keep ticking up and up, everything we tried just went wrong. Fast, slow, whatever - they were properly cleaning us out.

Final round comes up and I tell everyone just to hang back and wait - we've got a minute and a half on the timer, lets see what they do. Eventually their patience broke and they reverted to just stacking up and rushing, and we managed to gut them enough that one of us could rush off to plant the spike. It was such a close game it was crazy - I had to go and have a cup of tea and a biscuit afterwards just to try and calm down a bit. Not that it helped much.

This fucking game.

@Lying Cat finally found out how to find my Riot ID - log in here and click 'Riot ID'.

Mine's pk1#5672

Anyone else playing let us know your IDs and I'll put them in the first post.

Been playing unrated tonight half-cut with my mate who is a casual FPS tourist. So much fun. I love this game so much.

Had my first go of this tonight and I was actually quite surprised at how nice it feels to play, not sure how i feel about the abilities, without them it's just CS Go I guess, I domed a couple of kids with a single sniper shot as they bunny hopped past an opening which was nice!

Ah, so I don't need to be tooooo worried if I don't get in to the beta. I still haven't had an invitation despite plenty of bouts of watching on twitch.

I'm down for playing from the 2nd for sure.

Of course, this does mean that the ranks are going to be all mixed up again once the game releases. I'm terrible at the game and only in the Iron league, but I'd just got to the point where it felt like I was being matched with appropriately skilled players, rather than no-scope pros getting through their placement games. Still, with there probably being orders of magnitude more people once it releases, everything should get sorted a bit more quickly on release.

I'm currently trying to get my head around the game economy at the moment - and because my regular team has the propensity to lose the initial pistol round so I've taken to not buying anything at all for that, and then just going with the Stinger + Light Shields + Skills for the second round. not that I think that the Stinger is anything to really sniff at, the RoF is absolutely ludicrous so you can quite effectively hose people up close, even if you're only shooting their knees, plus there's always the off-chance that some maniac is going to buy a Vandal for the second round, and that's a great steal if you can nab it off the corpse. If they become a corpse.

I think the recent changes that reduce the maximum amount of money that you can hold has done a good job of flattening out unassailable economy advantage.

10 minutes ago, Benny said:

The kernel level DRM required to play this has completely put me off it.

That's fair. Personally I'm not fussed; if they can deliver a (relatively) hax free online experience on PC then China are welcome to the shitty novel I'm writing.

I mean, my GPU drivers run on that level too.

It's a bit of a fucker if you have anything like CPU-Z or MSI Afterburner, the anti-cheat disables stuff like that.

It's a pretty militant approach making it a kernel level driver. If the game wasn't so fucking addictive I'd maybe give it a pass on that basis. I suppose that's how they get you!

41 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I'm currently trying to get my head around the game economy at the moment

One thing I've not bothered to look up is how it determines when to give you your abilities, and when to make you have to buy them. I assume that's based on round loss streaks?

1 minute ago, PK said:

One thing I've not bothered to look up is how it determines when to give you your abilities, and when to make you have to buy them. I assume that's based on round loss streaks?

It seems that for Signature abilities that are multi-use, and not awarded from kills (Brimstone's smoke), it gives you one a turn and it stacks up up to your limit.

In terms of the Anti-Cheat, I'm glad it's out in th open so people can make a choice. I believe they're improving compatibility with the various utilities, but ultimately stuff like CPU-Z (and so much runs with that as it's basis) has been a gaping security concern for years, and is a well known vector for malware to gain increased user privileges.

I struggle to care much about Kernal level anti-cheat because as mentioned my GPU lives there too, as does the Anti-cheat for games I've spent a lot of time with like PUGB and Division 2.

The only real difference is that Vanguard launches at boot, while the others launch when th game opens. Ultimately if I'm giving stuff access on that level for stuff as unimportant as videogames (and I don't use the GPU for anything else either), I just look at the benefits rather than anything else.

Software doesn't need Kernal access to steal your stuff and do malign things. The fact that Riot have been super open about what they're doing is a reasonable sign and if it's compromised, there are so many people with their eyes on it, it won't take long for it to be known.

Had some great fun games this evening - it looks like they've properly started to sort out their infrastructure as I was pinging 25-40 rather than 40-90 which I've been bouncing around for a while.

Played 3, lost 2 - it was odd, as we stomped ahead initially but they in the two games we lost we just stalled and the other team were able to catch up. I'm not sure if it's overconfidence, or because we relaxed or what - that's the way the cookie occasionally crumbles, I guess. I've been playing nothing but Brimstone for the last two dozen games, as the guy I usually alternate with for it has been doing nothing but Raze. I think the other issue is that it's quite frustrating to have other people play him.

One of the things I quickly realised is that dropping smoke where you need to push through basically hands advantage to the defenders. You need to dump it in places where you reckon they are to force them out of their convenient little hidy-holes. This goes hand in hand with my other realisation that trying to stop the enemy entering the bomb site is actually perhaps not the best idea. Dropping smoke on the entrances to a site just makes their mind up for them and forces them to push in one direction.

I think it might be better to allow them to commit. So if they test two areas, let one side commit and then kill them while the others are attempting to come around, rather than push back too hard and have them all meet up and zerg you. I dunno.

Valorant continues to be absolutely excellent.

It’s a fantastic game from what I’ve played of the beta. It’s going to be huge.

It should run well on a vast range of PC’s. It’s gunplay is top tier. The maps are well designed and players will learn them quickly. The character abilities are not as overwhelming for a new player as something like Overwatch would be. 

I was surprised by how good it is. It feels like it’s been well polished already. Someone leaving a team during a match is a devastating blow though. I’ve had it happen and no replacement ever seems to connect. I’d change that or at least give people searching for a game the option to join. 

44 minutes ago, vezna said:

The character abilities are not as overwhelming for a new player as something like Overwatch would be. 

I think this is a fairly critical thing as well - the powers are for the most part sight blockers/enablers and movement blockers - with characters like Raze having rare direct damage skills to keep everyone on their toes and dissuading you from blobbing up. On top of that, they're actually pretty limited in their uses, to the point where you can count down what the enemy have left. Has Phoenix flashed twice? Well, don't need to worry about that any more then.

If there's a criticism, it's that the maps are actually quite elaborate, and often there will be two potential places an enemy could be on any approach, but we're adapting to this by not having people run around solo, and if they are running solo it's in our 'off lane' and they're there to play safe and keep the enemy team guessing as much as possible rather than to actually push through.

People leaving is a pain in the arse though - the logic behind them not allowing somebody else to join is I think that the person who left is bound to that game and then takes a 10 minute penalty after it's completed, so not playing through is almost always a net waste of time before you get into the next game - as well as targetting people who ditch out because they didn't get the character they wanted or weren't keen on the map that gets selected. I don't think it's a problem that can ever be solved, but I do think that more could be done to support a team which is down on numbers.

I think currently you've get +1 Ultimate Orb at spawn per leaver, a cash bonus per round and I think maybe some free Light Armour if two people go? The real issue is that you get locked down and encircled far too quickly as you can't have enough people looking in enough directions, and that's compounded in a game where getting shot in the head is pretty much an immediate end for you.

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

I have to say, judged purely on gameplay videos, it's not an exciting game to spectate and the graphics are bland and derivative.

Like a cross between Overwatch and Counterstrike 2000.

I quite like the graphics, but this is a taste thing! I can agree with you that it's not a thrilling game to spectate a lot of the time - just because there's so much patience involved, and players that kick off the attacks (Breach/Phoenix) are generally looking at a wall when they use their powers to get everything moving. It's a bit more exciting when you're playing on a team of 5 with good communication, but this is because you're on a team with good communication, not because it's inherently exciting.

I like the graphics, it's the type of style I wished they'd gone with for CS:GO instead of its sort of cluttered realism. It reminds me of old CS, nice and clean!

What I don't like is having to play the same map for 5 matches in a row because there's no way to pick what you're queuing for. I hope that changes in the full release.

25 minutes ago, PK said:

What I don't like is having to play the same map for 5 matches in a row because there's no way to pick what you're queuing for. I hope that changes in the full release.

I remember my 9 match stretch on Haven, and Haven at the time was my least favourite map. There have been so many reports of the maps basically being stuck, I sort of assumed that it was some sort of data collecting exercise. I sort of hope that as the map pool expands there might be some sort of ban system for maps, but with only 3 (4 on release) it's not really possible at the moment.

Well, we didn't do so great tonight. On reflection, I think it's pretty clear (from watching PK play) that I've got super lazy with my crosshair placement, so I think I need to concentrate on tightening that up. I'm not sure exactly whether it's a full moon or end-of-beta hysteria, but we also had a bunch of angry people online tonight - accusations of "camping" and the like, which is sort of ludicrous in a game like this where so much of the art of it is holding angles and making sure that you get the drop on people.

Practice, practice, practice.

Now I know there are people I might be regularly playing with who are better than the usual group I play with, I'm going to have to make a bit of effort.