Valorant - F2P competitive FPS by Riot - out now!

PK

22 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

Well, we didn't do so great tonight.

It just occurred to me that Unrated uses your Competitive MMR to match-make, so I may have buggered things up for you guys there. It was a lot of fun playing with a full team of friendly people though, solo queuing is miserable in comparison!

The beta's been offline for two hours and I'm jonesing already. 2nd June is so far away.

2 hours ago, PK said:

I just occurred to me that Unrated uses your Competitive MMR to match-make, so I may have buggered things up for you guys there. It was a lot of fun playing with a full team of friendly people though, solo queuing is miserable in comparison!

The beta's been offline for two hours and I'm jonesing already. 2nd June is so far away.

Hey, if we can blame you, we'll take it! How the Casual MMR matching works is that it tries to match people on a skill by skill level. So if you've got 4 crap players and 1 pro, it'll try and put you up against 4 players and 1 pro.

Technically balanced, but if the pros just chew up the crap people it sort of falls apart. I think the games last night bear that out, as both sides tended to have one person head and shoulders above the others in K/D.

I don't mind though, the reason I've got lazy is that I've been matching against other noobs, so playing against tougher people is good!

If, heaven forbid, there's enough forum interest to be able to play some in-forum Scrims, we'll have to make sure the teams are balanced.

10 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Hey, if we can blame you, we'll take it! How the Casual MMR matching works is that it tries to match people on a skill by skill level. So if you've got 4 crap players and 1 pro, it'll try and put you up against 4 players and 1 pro.

That'll be the Raze we played against on Split then :lol:

Just sharing this for anyone not in the Valorllmuk-ant discord - decent explanation of the economy system

2 hours ago, Dave White said:

really looking forward to this it looks superb fun. Didn't get on the beta sadly.

Which store is handling the release? Cant see anything on the usual places.

The link to the site will be on https://www.riotgames.com/en - I think it's going to be at https://playvalorant.com but currently that still redirects to the beta page. As far as I can make out each Riot game has its own launcher, you don't log into one platform like Battle.net or similar.

I have a feeling the servers are just going to get demolished on the 2nd. Riot have said they've had just short of 3 million players daily for the closed beta, which is pretty bonkers.

Maybe we should try getting together to play on Wednesday? As PK will attest, it's much more fun with a team.

9 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

I have a feeling the servers are just going to get demolished on the 2nd. Riot have said they've had just short of 3 million players daily for the closed beta, which is pretty bonkers.

Maybe we should try getting together to play on Wednesday? As PK will attest, it's much more fun with a team.

id be down to team up if you don't mind a noob on your team?

thanks for the info @PK

40 minutes ago, Zael said:

Any indication if they'll be launching with a shorter game mode?

The official Twitter linked to this interview, where the lead developers said

"We're going to launch with a second [game] mode, but we're putting a 'beta' tag on that mode," Donlon said. "That's because we haven't spent any time with the community at all playing it. So we want it to feel a little more like, 'What about this mode?' instead of a hard commit that this is the second game mode in VALORANT. We want players to play it with us and give us feedback. It's not [team deathmatch], I just want to clarify that."

Although Donlon and Ziegler didn't rule out a deathmatch mode coming in the future, with the beta game mode coming for launch the developers wanted to try something out that could let players breathe or relax after a marathon overtime ranked game. Besides the mode they're trying out, the VALORANT development team wants to continue adding and testing game modes with the players similar to League of Legends, seeing which stick with the community and which modes don't make sense to keep as an entrenched part of the game.

But no details of what it actually is yet.

Just a quick note to remind people who haven't visited the online folder, we have: -

A player sign up sheet

A Discord Server

... which will make grouping up much easier.

9 hours ago, Dave White said:

id be down to team up if you don't mind a noob on your team?

I don't think anyone is going to be getting precious about their rank or MMR here; I mean, I'm right in the doldrums with my Iron ranking - but the whole point is to have fun with it rather than getting angry at other people. I really like Valorant's rapid round structure - if you mess up then the longest you're going to be waiting to go again is about a minute, maybe a minute and a half.

3 hours ago, Flams said:

Oh 6am is good. Will pop on around then and see what needs downloading.

You can download it now from here - https://beta.playvalorant.com/en-gb/download

... then you'll just need the launch patch in the morning, in theory.

image.png.ee422254bd61b500b1c151b50b5dba4e.png

Blimey. Mid battles on Split are going to be interesting.

Added chat and voice restrictions for repeat offenders of our Community Code

• Chat and Voice restrictions last 72 hours
  • Getting a restriction will require you to log out. Please take a moment to cool down and reflect before logging back in to play VALORANT :)
  • Chat restrictions will be enforced for ‘all’ and ‘team’ chat, but your ‘party’ chat will still be available.
  • Voice restrictions will be enforced for ‘team’ chat, but your ‘party’ voice will still be available.
  • Reporting categories updated to cover a wider range of Community Code violations

Nice. Hopefully this will reduce the amount of BLYAT RUSH B CYKA we have to deal with.

COMPETITIVE MODE UPDATE

Competitive mode will not be on at launch

Similar to our closed beta launch, our initial focus is making sure our service is stable before activating competitive matchmaking. This is also a way to give new players the same courtesy that closed beta players had to learn the game ahead of turning on Competitive. We’ll also make some adjustments to Competitive based on remaining closed beta player feedback. Our plan is to turn on Competitive a few patches into our launch.

Good move, makes sense. Potentially weeks of playing for fun before people start getting really sweaty.

I don't think I'm getting any uni work done tomorrow :(

Rush B go fast. 

First game and I was told to fuck off. I'm bad so far, but by the end of the game I was getting into it slowly. 

It's so much faster paced than CS, you come in to contact with people so quickly and the rounds are blink and you miss them. 

7 minutes ago, Flams said:

First game and I was told to fuck off

Report them. You can do it retroactively if you click on Career and then bring up the scoreboard from the game it was during. If the beta is anything to go by, Riot actually act on the abusive comms reports.

1 hour ago, Flams said:

First game and I was told to fuck off. I'm bad so far, but by the end of the game I was getting into it slowly. 

It's quite incredible how people expect others to be expert on day 1. It was the same with the beta.

If it helps, I've encountered very little of that.

Two games in and did much better, achieving 3rd place but pretty level on kills. 

Enjoying it but I feel the guns are a bit wishy washy, the sound affects don't grab me the way the sound fo the AK does. 

3 hours ago, vezna said:

Still a brilliant game although even more so than the beta I’m seeing quitters in every match. Far from ideal but that aspect is bound to improve. 

I had a quitter in a game of Spike Rush. And those are only 10 minutes long :/