rllmuk

How is there not already a thread? This is the most I've ever seen the world come together around a single TV show or any piece of media for that matter, ever. Every single person I've spoke to for more than five minutes in the past fortnight has brought it up. It's fucking tremendous. 

Literally 100% of the owners on the show seem like legit sociopaths. Plus that one guy's creepy lackey, I'd be willing to bet that guy has some seriously sinister shit on his hard drive. 

• Upvote 3

Like I said after watching a few episodes; that the guy who's literally Tony Montana seems the most sane and normal person on the show, says it all. Top tier entertainment.

• Upvote 7

Carole Baskin is a fucking psychopath.

Also this is a banger:

• Upvote 5

As an aside - this is the problem with just having one big "Netflix" thread - discussion on the documentary is interspersed with loads of other posts through that single thread. 

It seems like too broad a subject for a megatopic.

• Upvote 2

Fuck that bitch Carole Baskins.

also worth noting louis theroux did an episode with joe exotic..

ps..

joe exotic stole all the songs and it’s someone else singing lol

This is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen - it's utterly batshit mental and you couldn't make it up.

Only got 1 episode left - so easy to binge watch this.

I liked the bit when the guy was smoking a cigarette while transferring petrol from one container to another, in a room full of petrol containers.

• Upvote 7

I'm about half-way through and whilst I'm enjoying it, it hasn't truly grabbed me yet. It just seems like a lot of weird stuff that happens rather than having any kind of compelling story or narrative. Don't get me wrong, some of the characters are truly iconic and it is super-entertaining, but like the Cats documentary there's a really heavy sense of being made to wallow in some really unhealthy behaviour and people. The animal cruelty that's pretty much ever present too makes it quite a stressful watch. 

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I think this is a bit overhyped to be honest. It’s not amazing.

Have you recently watched it? We’re definitely in the “won-best-picture-Oscar-but-don’t-see-what-all-the-fuss-is-about” period where you’d absolutely not get the hype if you watched it now. 

20 minutes ago, dino_jr said:

This would be the craziest show on Netflix if “abducted in plain sight” hadn’t got there 1st.

Fuck me, I forgot about that show. That documentary is a real rollercoaster. Except it's all downhill.

Finished watching it yesterday. 

It was bonkers. The main players in it were all either narsaccists, sociopaths or pshycopaths.

• Upvote 1

I like how she casually dropped this in there:

One day at the bank [Don] overheard a bank officer say he had a $20,000 loan in default he would be glad to sell for $2000. He got the information and, because he could not read beyond a first-grade level, asked me to look into it. In brief, we bought the loan, foreclosed, and sold the property for a substantial profit. That is what got us into the real estate business. We started buying defaulted loans from banks and going to tax deed sales. This was before this became a popular business. There were few people doing it. With me doing the research, negotiations and title clearing on the properties we built this to a portfolio of properties to rent or resell that was worth around $5 million dollars at the time of his disappearance.

Somehow, in the year 2020, someone thought this would be a great character defence.

• Upvote 3

I don't know, that episode seemed really dodgy. You're obviously going to be able to build a compelling narrative for a documentary if you ask a load of people who dislike someone personally whether it's possible she killed her husband. They clearly didn't put very many of the allegations from the other interviewees to her and I imagine they looked at her slightly odd/irritating mannerisms and realised it wouldn't be too hard to turn an audience against her with the right number of slow motion shots and selective investigation.

Like the restraining order a few months before his disappearance, for example - a massive revelation moment in the episode with the right musical sting, but then in her blog post she's saying that he was a hoarder and was filling their 40-acre land up with shite, and he took out a restraining order with exaggerated details to try to stop her from throwing it out whenever he was in Costa Rica having his end away.  You can clearly see the restraining order starts to mention something about that, but obviously nobody read that bit out and it was out of focus because it messed with their narrative:

Capture2.PNG 

And one of the main people being interviewed about her killing her husband was the assistant:

Anne McQueen is referred to as Don’s trusted assistant. A few months before his disappearance we caught her embezzling roughly $600,000 in properties by buying them with our funds and putting them in her name. A court ordered her to return them. Not the best sign of integrity, credibility, someone to believe.   Conservatorship case #97-CP-002001

No mention of that, because it ruins her tearful interview talking about how Don entrusted her with a copy of the restraining order etc

• Upvote 4

She has psychopathic tendencies. 

I totally think she had him killed. 

He faked his death and is panama I reckon, the Tiger thing is the perfect red herring. Probably not happy about this being a world wide smash if that's true!

I wasn’t immediately drawn in but by the end of the second episode I was right there. Whew! What a show. 

A proper rogues gallery of characters, each one crazy and villainous in their own way. 

The sheer amount of money raised, plundered and squandered by these hillbillies is astonishing. 

More intrigue, murder plotting and political machinations than House of Cards at its best. 

And finally the unmistakably eye-opening sight of a man in a cage with 5 tigers, petting them and slapping them around like it wasn’t the most dangerous thing in the world. 

I mean, Jesus. What a show. 

• Upvote 2

Whilst I enjoyed the show it didn't do enough for me. It was more like a reality TV show shot at a hillbilly zoo. Maybe I wanted to see Carol Baskin dead and a murder investigation or something. 

I did enjoy Joe's fake music though. Infact, I'm gutted for Joe in general. 

Really don't get how people have sympathy for Joe. He's a truly awful person. A manipulative bully.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, he’s awful, but likeable with it. I couldn’t help feeling sorry for him...you can excuse anything by looking at someone’s past, but his relationship with his father certainly fucked him up.

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

Really don't get how people have sympathy for Joe. He's a truly awful person. A manipulative bully.

People love narcissists. That's literally how they operate.

He is entertaining as fuck too. 

I wouldn't want to be his mate, or be anywhere near him, or allow him in a position of power, but he's a good watch.