Animal Crossing 'Open Islands' Contest - Final RESULTS now being posted - currently showing 1st place

Jamie John

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Without wanting to sound dismissive, doing all that sounds like more work than uploading a few videos, unless I'm being thick. Can you give an example of what you mean?

You should still register anyway and go for some of the more specific categories rather than overall best island.

Well for one, not everybody can do a good video. So is it actually the people who are best at editing videos to make a good showreel who get the most votes? Rather than people being able to experience towns as they find them. So people worry about having a good video and then worry about having to prep both their towns and their videos to show them off - then there's people who don't use Twitter or another sharing platform to post their videos - or can only record on their phones. Are they at a disadvantage? I wouldn't want to enter if I needed to put together a video, and voice over? no way... lol I'm sure I'm not the only one. (nb I'm not entering currently because I don't think my island is in a fit state to)

I don't want to put a downer on this idea, I think it's a great idea! Mostly because I'd like to visit all the competitors' islands and have a vote. :) Rob makes the very valid point that this would take a very long time, and that not everyone can be around for an "open island" or to vote at the right times. So i was thinking, you could have a tournament style where you reduce the numbers down to a handful of finalists (probably over the course of a fortnight). Those could then have an open day over the course of a weekend, where they leave their gates open and all the judges can come and go as they see fit / when they have the time to. I think 4 would be the ideal final number, but you could probably push that out to 6 or even 8 possibly.

Having lots of categories doesn't really help this idea as well though... :lol:

I don't know, I want to try and help rather than hinder.

How is the scoring going to go by the way? Out of 10?

I just took a pic of my map.
I have 29 points of interest. 29 builds with a name :mellow:

BF44629D-F708-4A6B-B170-6C989FA43CE8.thumb.jpeg.e3a0b1d26264583f996355257ab3c5db.jpeg

don’t look if you want to discover it first hand. 

Spoiler

1. Nook market place
2. cafe

3. TBA

4. Brolly Zoo

5. Brolly genetics lab

6. Brolly museum

7. Brolly Cemetery and reintroduction to the wild area

8. campsite

9. restaurant

10. prison camp

11. movie scene

12. Able’s market square

13. mini movie scene

14. Poseidon’s run orchard

15. mini movie scene

16. evil oarfish shrine

17. beach front food, picnic and playground

18. murder scene woods

19. tranquil square

20. Old Town

21. games pitch

22. race track

23. D-day landings

24. Hawking’s shrine

25. prize giving ceremony area

26. dinopede

27. museum play area

28. nail bar

29. house and gardens 

I'm not really sure how to move forward with this now :(. I thought we'd cracked it with the video idea, but @Danster above raises some valid points.

A tournament style contest sounds good, but it would necessitate people signing up to be judges, as well as competitors. That is, unless two people just opened up their islands on a given day and as many people as possible visited both of their islands before voting for the one they liked the most, which would then go into the next 'round'. This method presents its own issues, however:

• As mentioned, categories would have to be abolished, unless there was some sort of points system per category, but that's getting far too complicated.
  • How could we police whether voters had actually been to both islands before casting their vote, or even one of the islands?
  • Both competitors would be obliged to remain open for the same amount of time so every judge could visit both of their islands without risk of visiting one without the other.
  • This still involves lots of people visiting islands in the same short window of time, bringing us back to the initial issue that @Rob Rule made regarding Nintendo's crappy online infrastructure.

What does everyone want to do? Should I make a poll?

I have visited so many awesome islands by the way, some days it's inspiring, other days it's overwhelming. With so much potential content to review I think everyone is in reluctant agreement that sharing a whole island is a nonstarter.

How about one 30 second video of your island's best feature. One per person. 

Since the switch offers 30 sec clips this should overcome most technical difficulties, I'm sure another how-to could help everyone get something published. Perhaps a short 3 sentence accompanying written submission too?

It also shouldn't be too hard for most players to find another best feature each month to keep us going for a while. And some of the non winners will no doubt give the rest of us some new ideas for their islands.

As for voting, a top 3 from every reviewer should help us get to a final podium.

• Keep it simple. Something like this needs to be one person's initiative and decided/lead by them; those that like the sound of the proposed thing will get involved.
  • A drawn out process of polling everyone on what they think the idea should be will probably kill it. 
  • If it still "involves lots of people visiting islands in the same short window of time", then the fact it can't be done isn't an issue, it's an impossibility. It must by necessity be tweaked. 

16 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:
  • Keep it simple. Something like this needs to be one person's initiative and decided/lead by them; those that like the sound of the proposed thing will get involved.
  • A drawn out process of polling everyone on what they think the idea should be will probably kill it. 
  • If it still "involves lots of people visiting islands in the same short window of time", then the fact it can't be done isn't an issue, it's an impossibility. It must by necessity be tweaked. 

Is this an endorsement of my suggestion Rob? 

- no one has to visit any islands

- everyone has the means to shoot a 30 sec video of their highlight 

- everyone can take part without being intimidated by the best island scenario

- this time next week we could be discussing the winners 

Otherwise I'm all out of suggestions :(

There's, what, 20 people in (looking at the sheet?)

Split it into 4/5 groups at random. Each group visits amongst itself and picks a winner Come Dine With Me style, then the winners visit each other the next day and declare the ultimate winner.

No categories, no nothing. Then some other weekend, do a homes one.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Split it into 4/5 groups at random. Each group visits amongst itself and picks a winner Come Dine With Me style, then the winners visit each other the next day and declare the ultimate winner.

LittleMealyBaboon-size_restricted.gif.e1e50fb755c93012223452f03e43e4a1.gif

2 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

Endorsement! Help! :lol: I suppose so, @MagicalDrop. I mean my island's not got any features, the whole thing is just a riff on a pastoral backwater dug into a woodland that's encroaching back in a bit. I guess I can dump a Godzilla next to the well. 

There were some features you were very keen to show me.... Including bumping me off into the freshly dug grave! 

Can't compete with the guys posting clever gifs and memes though so let's all go with that and get on with the show. 

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

Sorry if I've been another Debbie Downer. I just remembered that bit of Arrested Development.

Au contraire, I think you've solved it. Crack on and make it happen. Let's see the draw for round 1 in the light of (May) day. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

This is good. Only thing I don't like is the group winners choosing the overall winner between them. Or are people likely to lose interest once they're eliminated?

Just now, spanx said:

I’m signed up. Don’t remember signing myself up in the sheet so assume some kind soul put me in after I said I’m in. So thank you

Anyone who originally said they wanted to take part I added to the sheet when I made it.

Sorry not been keeping up with this but happy to go along with whatever, we can always do multiple contests to cover all categories and give people a chance to visit new islands in other weeks.

Also I'm out working irl tomorrow so can't do judging/visits until Sunday.

8 hours ago, Danster said:

Agree, sounds like a goer to me. My only little niggle is wanting to have a look at these islands myself :)

There's nothing to stop you from visiting the island as normal, when they're open, you just won't be able to vote for them, but I think this is the best way.

I'll lock the spreadsheet at 9 and post a list of competitors, then I'll make a post outlining the next steps, but essentially we're going to doing what @Uncle Mike has suggested.

Competitor registration is now CLOSED.

Your competitors in the inaugural Rllmuk Animal Crossing New Horizons Open Islands Contest (RACNHOIC) are...

1. @Lyrical Donut!
  2. @thesnwmn!
  3. @NexivRed!
  4. @letsbook!
  5. Mrs letsbook!
  6. @spanx!
  7. @MagicalDrop!
  8. @Alan Stock!
  9. @bimbam!
  10. @skittles!
  11. Skittles' partner!
  12. @Benny!
  13. @mrpranny!
  14. @bradigor!
  15. @KRP!
  16. @CovisGod!
  17. @Made of Ghosts!
  18. @Mr Do 71!
  19. @Uncle Mike & Mrs Uncle Mike!
  20. @Ry!
  21. @Kramer!

Thank you for agreeing to take part :)

Once I've confirmed exactly how many competitors there are I will divvy everyone up into randomised judging teams. Following that the island visits, judging and voting can commence!

As such, please can @letsbook and @skittles confirm that their respective other halves want to compete as separate competitors from themselves with separate islands. Can you also confirm whether your beloveds would like to be in the same judging team as you or if they don't mind being in separate teams (it might be easier to organise visits if couples are in the same teams, to be honest, as long as we can trust people to vote impartially; alternatively, you can ask them to make an account on the forum so they can receive their own PMs and notifications etc.). Can @Uncle Mike also please confirm that he and his wife will be competing as a pair with one shared island.

Once I get the information above I will announce the judging teams and provide an overview of how this is all going to work, but that will probably have to wait until tomorrow now.

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Competitor registration is now CLOSED.

Your competitors in the inaugural Rllmuk Animal Crossing New Horizons Open Islands Contest (RACNHOIC) are...

1. @Lyrical Donut!
  2. @thesnwmn!
  3. @NexivRed!
  4. @letsbook!
  5. Mrs letsbook!
  6. @spanx!
  7. @MagicalDrop!
  8. @Alan Stock!
  9. @bimbam!
  10. @skittles!
  11. Skittles' partner!
  12. @Benny!
  13. @mrpranny!
  14. @bradigor!
  15. @KRP!
  16. @CovisGod!
  17. @Made of Ghosts!
  18. @Mr Do 71!
  19. @Uncle Mike & Mrs Uncle Mike!
  20. @Ry!
  21. @Kramer!

Thank you for agreeing to take part :)

Once I've confirmed exactly how many competitors there are I will divvy everyone up into randomised judging teams. Following that the island visits, judging and voting can commence!

As such, please can @letsbook and @skittles confirm that their respective other halves want to compete as separate competitors from themselves with separate islands. Can you also confirm whether your beloveds would like to be in the same judging team as you or if they don't mind being in separate teams (it might be easier to organise visits if couples are in the same teams, to be honest, as long as we can trust people to vote impartially; alternatively, you can ask them to make an account on the forum so they can receive their own PMs and notifications etc.). Can @Uncle Mike also please confirm that he and his wife will be competing as a pair with one shared island.

Once I get the information above I will announce the judging teams and provide an overview of how this is all going to work, but that will probably have to wait until tomorrow now.

Separate islands and separate teams please!

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

As such, please can @letsbook and @skittles confirm that their respective other halves want to compete as separate competitors from themselves with separate islands.

She has nothing to do with my island and as such will be swiftly berated when I beat her (yeah, separate islands please)