IGNORED

Animal Crossing 'Open Islands' Contest - Final RESULTS now being posted - currently showing 1st place

Jamie John

The winner for Team Isabelle is...

Spoiler

@skittles' partner Miao!

From @letsbook:

From the moment I stepped off the seaplane after the beautiful flyover of the island I knew it was going to be a special visit. From the wide variety of flora and fauna on display to the layout that moves from balmy exercise areas on the beach, modern concert venues to a horrific well of certain death. This island always has a surprise around every corner. There is the perfect combination of open areas where you can run free with the scent of flowers and fruit trees in the air and more built up areas of interest for those of you with a more urban slant.

Housing is nicely laid out with the perfect combinations of wallpaper and flooring and rooms with a wide variety of amenities on offer. In conclusion, even with one thing and another at the moment I was able to forget my cares and relax in a true island paradise.

Pics:

30420D9C-2EC2-4A60-B27E-979BEFE598AC.jpeg

FFBD456D-B9B4-4CDB-8920-3B1123E1B655.jpeg

C3D74422-0CAF-4D96-8327-69956434D016.jpeg

D3A48D16-0788-4A7D-9EFC-8EDA341D49DD.jpeg

---

From @Lyrical Donut:

Everything about Miao's island/house was so well thought out.

Pics:

EXqVmwuUYAUaIcj?format=jpg&name=large

EXqVmwtU4AA09ya?format=jpg&name=large

EXqVOTXUEAECMRA?format=jpg&name=large

Congratulations!

And, finally, the winner for Team Sable is...

Spoiler

@mrpranny and his island, Tiffin!

@KRP on both mrpranny and @skittles' islands:

It was a tough call between the two to be honest. They both had really great intricate pathways with lots of small distinct and interesting areas. Mrpranny was just slightly more interesting with the landscaping and the space area with the satellites and rover etc just made it stand out that little but more. I also think there was a links awakening tribute, but not sure if that was intentional.

Pics of Tiffin:

IMG_20200511_102422.jpg

IMG_20200511_102424.jpg

IMG_20200511_102414.jpg

IMG_20200511_102420.jpg

Congratulations!

With the group stage now officially over, I give you your finalists:

Spoiler

NexivRed!

Bimbam and Uncle Mike & Mrs Uncle Mike!

Mrs letsbook!

Miao!

mrpranny!

Well done ^_^

More info on the finals to follow, but probably not until tomorrow now.

I would totally have written more words about @bimbam's island if I knew I'd end up quoted. And I didn't have a sensible setup to grab photos for here, and was lazy, which has done him a significant disservice.

But all three of the Team Redd islands I went to were nice; Made of Ghosts was really nicely laid out with lots of little zones, themes and so on. And bradigor has his deviant house and an island with clearly huge plans.

Somewhat surprised to have drawn at the top, I thought one of bimbam or Ghost was taking it hands down.

7 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I would totally have written more words about @bimbam's island if I knew I'd end up quoted. And I didn't have a sensible setup to grab photos for here, and was lazy, which has done him a significant disservice.

No problem mate, thanks for your vote, have added a few quick ones below.  See you in the final :)

F55E961B-E208-4C51-906C-A7C57B5184BE.jpeg

A6EDDB29-4035-4BDF-925A-AC3C997269A2.thumb.jpeg.8554af8861c0bdb53c84a4b372c87e7d.jpeg

A28C2413-CF02-42F1-8B54-04F03273706E.thumb.jpeg.648c5806a0d4983d4ae3db28b9b8f825.jpeg

8144379A-B756-49BC-9DFA-3199AE6E923E.thumb.jpeg.bbbc65858f40d5b70ffd612ce8916a57.jpeg

Added my full comments and photos of Skittles' island below:

Spoiler

It was a tough call between the two to be honest. They both had really great intricate pathways with lots of small distinct and interesting areas. Mrpranny was just slightly more interesting with the landscaping and the space area with the satellites and rover etc just made it stand out that little but more. I also think there was a links awakening tribute, but not sure if that was intentional.

Skittles' island was also really cool. Excellent use of flowers and the bathroom was really atmospheric.

Both took a b10k bribe from me so they better have put me first in both votes.

I see that my bribes did not work...

IMG_20200511_102433.jpg

IMG_20200511_102437.jpg

IMG_20200511_102429.jpg

IMG_20200511_102431.jpg

I'm sure everyone else will join me in thanking @Jamie John and the other folks like @MagicalDrop who helped organise this. It was a lot of fun and really spurred a lot of us to improve our islands. Plus its a great excuse to go and really look around people's islands properly and appreciate them! And in the midst of lockdown it was nice to have a enjoyable project to work on, even though it is virtual it put the old brain cells and imagination to use.

Congrats to the finalists and looking forward to after the finals when hopefully they will open up for us all to come marvel at their slices of paradise!

Right then, onto the finals!

I was thinking that finalists could have a few days off from visits to get their islands ready and then the judging window would open from Thursday (or perhaps Friday) night. As there are six finalists, however, people will need a bit more time to visit everyone else's islands than they did for the group stages, so my suggestion is to run the judging window for 10 nights. If it was to open on this Thursday evening (the 14th), therefore, it would close on Sunday 24th May. Criteria for judging will be the same, except this time I'll ask people to provide me with the name of their 'gold', 'silver' and 'bronze' island in an attempt to reduce the chance of there being a tie once all the votes are in. Finalists - what do you think?

Also, it would be nice to have some sort of prize for the winner overall. The idea of a prize was canned for the group stages as it would have been a bit too faffy to organise, but now that we have fewer contestants it's more viable if people are willing. The question, however, is what could the prize be? If it's going to be bells it would have to be a pretty substantial amount to be worthwhile - maybe if each finalist and I put forward 500,000 bells each for a winner takes all? Or, perhaps each finalist could gift the overall winner a piece of expensive furniture, or gold nuggets, or some other valuable in-game item. Or maybe each contestant could Paypal me a couple of (real life) pounds and I'd make up the rest to buy the winner an eshop voucher which I could buy and then send them the code for.

Let me know if you have any ideas :)

I'll be honest, the idea of competing for a prize turns me off a little. I was in for a fun no-stakes friendly thing, but not as much for trying to win a prize. But I'd also happily drop aside (especially given there are two Team Redd winners) if it's something that others are excited for.

51 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'll be honest, the idea of competing for a prize turns me off a little. I was in for a fun no-stakes friendly thing, but not as much for trying to win a prize. But I'd also happily drop aside (especially given there are two Team Redd winners) if it's something that others are excited for.

That's fine - it was just as an extra pat on the back for the winner, but we don't have to do it by any means.

Anyway, if there are no major objections, I'm going to say that the judging window for the final will open at 8pm on Thursday (tomorrow) and will run for 10 days until next Sunday 24th May. I'm just going to amalgamate the judging and voting window for the final, I think, to make it more simple. I'll make an official post tomorrow evening.

15 hours ago, skittles said:

The winner gets a MYSTERY prize from anyone that wants to give a prize.

How about dem apples.

I like this idea, myself. We'll play it by ear and see how people are feeling once it's over.

Anyway, the final stage is now OPEN until 9pm on Sunday 24th May!

The finalists:

@NexivRed

@bimbam

@Uncle Mike & Mrs Uncle Mike

Mrs @letsbook

Miao! (@skittles' partner)

@mrpranny

Same judging system as before: each of the six finalists need to visit each of the other finalists and then PM me with their votes. This time, however, I want to know your first, second and third (or gold, silver, bronze) favourite islands, please.

Once again, no voting for yourself and no tactical voting tomfoolery. When you PM me with your vote, screenshots and/or a couple of sentences on what you enjoyed would be appreciated for the results, also. Non-finalists are obviously allowed to visit competing islands as well.

May the best island win! :) 

jamesh: 3054-6535-9129

Thanks for sorting all this @Jamie John, bit of an event in our household during all this lockdown with wife and kids trying to get island ready, after seeing some of the other finalists islands we’ve got work to do and quick but we’re all loving it anyway

Good stuff everyone. 

Mrs Skittles is 3044-6034-0836

@letsbook and Mrs Skittles are both on the same time zone (+7)

Is there an efficient way of organising the viewings? I might suggest that at least for the 2x (+7) people, we organise a group visit next Saturday morning your time (our afternoon).

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'd be up for opening tonight, if people are around. No worries if not.

Might be too late now, been trying to sort turnip sale but if you’re still about could do a visit each now? If not when’s best tomorrow?

Any one else up for visits?