Resident Evil 8 (village?)

robdood

4 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Stuck this only hardcore and got repeatedly mullered by the first assailant. Going back for more punishment later.

It took me a couple of goes too,  I assumed I was doing something wrong. I'm not sure if it's just that the enemy is very strong and your gun isn't.

1 hour ago, krenzler said:

It's a shame that RE games these days tend to start out with clearly the best bits and then go into some tedium and sameyness later on. Like the ship section in 7. This has that too so do enjoy the lovely castle while it lasts. :)

This is literally every Resident Evil game ever made. I can't think of a single one where the second half isn't worse than the first half. It's like a series curse.

I seem to be the odd one out in thinking this one does the reverse of most Resident Evil games. I didn't much like the opening or the castle. D is a good villain but doesn't get anything very interesting to do.

After the castle I thought it really started to pick up. It's less predictable, the combat starts to beef up, and the village itself becomes more interesting.

@BadgerFarmerquestion as I know you completed it

Spoiler

After the castle, I got the 4 winged key but only seemed to be able to open one door near Duke not both. I thought from what he said I'd be able to tackle them in any order but then didn't seem to be the case?

End of castle:

Spoiler

Lady D was very well done following you around the castle but I thought her boss fight was really poor. It just seemed to be keep shooting and on normal at least there was loads of ammo.

This is a spoiler that spoils pretty much the first 5 minutes of the game.  

Spoiler

I think this might be the most cinematic (and I don't mean that as a pejorative here) game I've ever played. The whole opening in the house, the way Chris appears after things kick off and everything abruptly changes is really very well done.  I've thought about it a few times.  The framing, lighting,  etc. Excellent. 

Edit: that's one argument for delaying a vr release I suppose, they can show the player what they want to show them, rather than the player admiring the moon out the window or something at a key moment. 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

RE4 has the Regenerators, the knife fight, Miiiiike...

The second half of RE4 stacks up better than most but it's still not as good as the village. But not much in the history of gaming is to be fair.

45 minutes ago, pledge said:

@BadgerFarmerquestion as I know you completed it

Hide contents

After the castle, I got the 4 winged key but only seemed to be able to open one door near Duke not both. I thought from what he said I'd be able to tackle them in any order but then didn't seem to be the case?

End of castle:

Hide contents

Lady D was very well done following you around the castle but I thought her boss fight was really poor. It just seemed to be keep shooting and on normal at least there was loads of ammo.

First spoiler:

Spoiler

No, there's a set order. The doors are actually a little different - 4-winged, 4-winged unborn, 6-winged etc.

Thanks, a review video I watched was wrong about that then and must not have noticed the "unborn" difference.

I agree about the castle. It looks spectacular but there's other bits that feel like they missed a layer of polish. This next area after the castle I'm finding much more intriguing and creepy.

Normal feels a bit easy so far. I always seem to have more than enough ammo, and i've a stockpile of health. I saw that there's a pack in the store for £9.99 where one of the items is unlocking a harder difficulty (that you seem to get when completing it on another difficulty as usual anyway).

I can't really remember what he was like in RE7 but Ethan is such a drag in this. Everything unfolding around him is camp ridiculousness of the highest order and he's such a banal non-entity in comparison. His dialogue and narration is so weak. I mean (very early  spoilers)

Spoiler

He just watches a young girl and her father plummet to their death in a fire shortly after an entire room of people get torn apart and and he just mutters angrily 'why is everyone dying on me?!' I can't tell if he's actually meant to be a asshole or not but he's such an unlikeable and braindead presence.

It's too soon to have any real opinions as it's very story heavy early on but it really does feel like they've thrown a lot of money at it. It drips lavishness and budget even though its cross-gen roots are clear in places.

I feel like Ethan is a pretty standard RE protagonist, though he feels worse after how incessantly awesome Jill was in the remake of 3. She’s set a real high bar for the series that I think will be difficult to reach.

I quite like how Ethan keeps the whole thing grounded in this, because of how ridiculous it gets. He never quite seems able to get his head round how fucked up everything is, and maybe that's for the best as it allows the rest of the cast to go overboard.

I was a huge fan of Moira Burton. Her lines included gems such as 'a moist barrel of fucks', a level of ridiculousness that no other character can hope to match.

Leon and Chris are great burly leading men, and Sheva should be classed as a national treasure for her throat slitting antics. Shame she didn't have a better script since she was in RE5, but hey.

Actually, I just looked up Moira's lines. These are absolute fucking gold and I salute the demented process that allowed them to ever become real:

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Moira_Burton/quotes

Anyway! Ethan. I like Ethan. He's a bit of a wet rag compared to literally everyone else, but he seems like a nice dude. 

I'm really enjoying this, but I have to say I do miss me some shambling undead. I'm not really sure what Resident Evil is anymore.

This is some odd, cheesy horror comedy thing. I wish the locals didn't have American accents too. Magnet guy would have been a lot more intimidating without the Cali surf bro delivery.

4 hours ago, Majora said:

This is literally every Resident Evil game ever made. I can't think of a single one where the second half isn't worse than the first half. It's like a series curse.

Isn't 7 the only one that doesn't end in basically the same identikit secret underground laboratory?

(Granted the ship bit is still much more formulaic and uninspired than the first part of the game). 

I've played all of them to the end except for 6. I can't actually remember the end of 5 though. Probably an underground laboratory though.

11 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Isn't 7 the only one that doesn't end in basically the same identikit secret underground laboratory?

(Granted the ship bit is still much more formulaic and uninspired than the first part of the game). 

I've played all of them to the end except for 6. I can't actually remember the end of 5 though. Probably an underground laboratory though.

It was a Volcano where Chris punched the fuck out of a massive boulder and then exploded Wesker with a rocket.

I'm not sure how anyone forgets that, but here's a refresher!

Given the comments here I was a bit worried about what would come after the castle but I really enjoyed the doll maker’s house.

Spoiler

Losing my weapons and having it be a bit more like an escape room was cool, and it was very creepy. Off back to the billiard to use some keys now.

Nearly at the end of the castle and I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. It's perfectly enjoyable but I feel like it's Remake 2, 4 and 7 stuck in a blender along with the daftest, campest horror movie you've ever seen. Which on paper sounds perfect but in reality it doesn't quite capture the strengths of any of the aforementioned games.

It's not as intense and scary as 7, the combat isn't as varied, dynamic or downright fun as 4, while the level design isn't as strong or memorable as the police station in 2 or the house in 7. I don't think Lady D is as scary in the stalking role as Mr X was either. She talks too much to be properly intimidating.

It's like they've lifted the basic elements from each of the aforementioned games but none of these elements have been elevated or honed enough so it feels a little like a decent greatest hits compilation rather than something with a clear identity and vision. It's a bit all over the shop.

That's not to say it doesn't have highlights and it's all serviceable in its silly ghost train way but at this stage in 7 I was thinking Capcom had nailed the reinvention of the series (before it went downhill in the second half) whereas here I'm thinking they've gotten muddled along the way again as to what exactly they want this series to be when they're not doing remakes.

9 hours ago, Alex W. said:

RE4 has the Regenerators, the knife fight, Miiiiike...

I love RE4 but yeah, the Krauser fight, which I'd pretty much forgot, made me almost launch my Switch across the room.

5 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I'm not really sure what Resident Evil is anymore.

This is some odd, cheesy horror comedy thing.

"I'm not really sure what Resident Evil is anymore".

*proceeds to describe exactly what Resident Evil has been since day one*