Resident Evil 8 (village?)

It wasn't a very well articulated post but I mean cheesy by Resident Evil's own standards. Like it's not just throwaway lines and bad dialogue stuff, it's cheesy in its every frame. Like Carry on Resident Evil. 

I've played about three hours and I kind of like it, but it's an odd game.

48 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I'm still not sure whether replacing Tyrant with a giant Karen is the best or worst thing ever.

An oddly attractive giant Karen.

After playing for about ten mins I went to Youtube and searched "extreme tunnel vision" and yep. 

Literally unbelievable that in 2021 anyone still ships a game with keyboard and mouse support without a FOV slider. Surely the former is far harder than the latter?! Anyway, off to Nexus mods to find a shonky fix...

Finished in just under 11 hours (though it felt like more - apparently it doesn't count cutscenes and the time you spend with the merchant). For me, it gets progressively less interesting after the midpoint. The back half still has a few good ideas, but it doesn't make the most of them. 

I loved the setting, even if the village layout sometimes felt a bit too convoluted for its own good (I never quite managed to commit it to memory like Resi 4's, though I didn't get as lost as I did in a certain area later on). House Dimitrescu and House Beneviento I thought were terrific: two different flavours of horror, equally well done. I really warmed to The Duke, too.

As for Ethan Winters, one character sums him up best when he says, "You're stupid. You talk too much." 

It's a mash up of 4 and 7 isn't it?

Batshit crazy from start to finish but I loved every minute of it.

Mercs unlocked now so will see what that looks like.

3rd Lord down, and everything in village cleared.

Feels like I'm approaching end, everything's upgraded, 120k in the bank, no routes to unlock bar the one forward. All food (bar 1 I can't complete as I missed some fish, I looked up)...

I find Ethan really funny, he's so catatonically stupid that it can't be by accident. I like to imagine that if you turn subtitles on all his dialogue is WRiTten iN rAndOMcasE :D

23 minutes ago, Hexx said:

3rd Lord down, and everything in village cleared.

Feels like I'm approaching end, everything's upgraded, 120k in the bank, no routes to unlock bar the one forward. All food (bar 1 I can't complete as I missed some fish, I looked up)...

You’ve a decent amount left, don’t spend everything ^_^

Several hours in now.

I'm really surprised with RE8, the demos didn't do it justice at all. The actual game really captures the essence of the series really well, which for me is slowly unlocking and opening a map piece by piece whilst connecting it, slightly dreading every new area. Am so relieved. 

It's also proper RE bonkers, I kind of missed that a little from RE7. 

The latest episode of the Backpage podcast is dedicated to this, and a general look-back at the series. They make it sound really good. 

I think, if I can clear one more game from my backlog, I’ll allow myself to buy it. 

Avoiding the rest of the thread for spoilers, but I’ve just done the intro and lol, clearly someone at Capcom really liked Universal Solider: Day of Reckoning. 

7 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Avoiding the rest of the thread for spoilers, but I’ve just done the intro and lol, clearly someone at Capcom really liked Universal Solider: Day of Reckoning. 

Who isn't a fan of Scott Adkins, though?

4 hours ago, Moz said:

After playing for about ten mins I went to Youtube and searched "extreme tunnel vision" and yep. 

Literally unbelievable that in 2021 anyone still ships a game with keyboard and mouse support without a FOV slider. Surely the former is far harder than the latter?! Anyway, off to Nexus mods to find a shonky fix...

That mod didn’t work for me :(

Done around 7 hours and I’m feeling a bit queasy. Hope there’s an alternative soon.

Played through to near the end of the factory tonight, I’m still really enjoying it. I like the variation between the areas, both visually and in terms of gameplay. I can’t imagine I’ve got much left but I’m really happy with it.

I played the first hour last night. Thought it was ok, but I'm itching to get into it properly. The shooting feels a bit weightless at the moment, but I am only using the handgun. I keep pressing R1 and accidentally healing myself.

And for a bloke whose 

Spoiler

wife gets shot to death, baby gets kidnapped and fingers get eaten off, all within the first 15 minutes, Ethan seems to be holding it together pretty well.

Did anyone else laugh in shocked suprise when Mia got killed? I guess it's because you spend the entire previous game trying to save her, but I just found it strangely funny how she got shot about twenty times at the start of this one. Just me? :unsure:

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I played the first hour last night. Thought it was ok, but I'm itching to get into it properly. The shooting feels a bit weightless at the moment, but I am only using the handgun. I keep pressing R1 and accidentally healing myself.

And for a bloke whose 

Hide contents

wife gets shot to death, baby gets kidnapped and fingers get eaten off, all within the first 15 minutes, Ethan seems to be holding it together pretty well.

Did anyone else laugh in shocked suprise when Mia got killed? I guess it's because you spend the entire previous game trying to save her, but I just found it strangely funny how she got shot about twenty times at the start of this one. Just me? :unsure:

They'd already shown it in an early trailer, so I knew it was coming.

Hardcore difficulty seems a lot harder than in other games.

I can't get past the 

Spoiler

First battle with multiple 

Spoiler

Werewolves, I've killed 6 of them with explosions,  shotgunned a couple and then I'm down to the pistol that does approximately fuck all. Like the pistol will not keep one at bay, let alone a few of them. And then I get attacked twice, die and restart.

46 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

They'd already shown it in an early trailer, so I knew it was coming.

Those pesky trailers!

I am a bit narked at how much I knew of this game before starting. So much surprise has been taken away.

I didn’t stay away from trailers as much as I normally do, and I played the demos too - but even without those things you couldn’t move for seeing stuff about the setting and enemies etc.  I get that they have to sell the game of course!

37 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Hardcore difficulty seems a lot harder than in other games.

I can't get past the 

Hide contents

First battle with multiple 

Hide contents

Werewolves, I've killed 6 of them with explosions,  shotgunned a couple and then I'm down to the pistol that does approximately fuck all. Like the pistol will not keep one at bay, let alone a few of them. And then I get attacked twice, die and restart.

I chose Normal specifically because I heard this was battle was a nightmare on Hardcore. Apparently it's the hardest part of the game.

Spoiler

Not sure if it'll help on hardcore but there's a ladder you can drop down in one part which has a bag of flour you can shoot at the bottom to stun enemies. I simply dropping down to this area buying me some time and then they flour some more.

There's also a ladder you can climb somewhere to some higher ground which I think gives you some relative safety for a short while.

I read you have to survive for two minutes before the cutscene triggers which ends the battle but no Idea how true that is.

I think I only watched the one trailer. I know about Lady D, 

Spoiler

Father Gascoigne Heisenberg, and the vampire brides (or whatever they are), and that's about it.

Loving this. It runs like shit off a shovel on PS5. The one thing I will say is that the crafting feels weird. In the demo I was sure there was a sort of green line that went up during crafting. At times I'm not even sure I have crafted or whether I have the materials I need for crafting. It feels broken whereas it felt very clear in RE7.

1 minute ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

It runs like shit off a shovel on PS5.

Sporadically, in big lumps, or smoothly and consistently, like a loose slurry? What consistency are we talking here?

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Sporadically, in big lumps, or smoothly and consistently, like a loose slurry? What consistency are we talking here?

A very clear C-diff type number seven on the Bristol Stool Chart. Break out the Vancomycin!

Saw the credits last night, and whilst I did enjoy it, it also felt very by the numbers in a lot of places. Even with beefier weapons the shooting never felt satisfying and the bosses (in terms of mechanics) were disappointing. Coming from playing 7 in VR this was always going to feel less atmospheric but sections like the one after the castle still held up well. I did like that each 1/4 was very distinct in its take on horror. Compared to earlier posters I did like the last quarter and ending area (boss aside)

Spoiler

The section playing as Chris was the only bit where I felt the shooting worked, but you are also OP. It seemed like the enemies were tuned for that part which is maybe why they felt off in the rest.

29 minutes ago, Majora said:

I chose Normal specifically because I heard this was battle was a nightmare on Hardcore. Apparently it's the hardest part of the game.

Hide contents

Not sure if it'll help on hardcore but there's a ladder you can drop down in one part which has a bag of flour you can shoot at the bottom to stun enemies. I simply dropping down to this area buying me some time and then they flour some more.

There's also a ladder you can climb somewhere to some higher ground which I think gives you some relative safety for a short while.

I read you have to survive for two minutes before the cutscene triggers which ends the battle but no Idea how true that is.

Thanks, if that time estimate is accurate,  I'll give it a few more goes.  I've been down / up both areas you mention on most of my attempts,  maybe I'm covering too much ground too quick,  the second place you mention is another building you can barricade,  so perhaps I need to get there slower to run the clock down a bit more. It makes sense,  there doesn't seem a finite number of enemies. 

Does anyone else feel the pistol in this is really really weedy? Even super upgraded it barely touches things. 

It might be a choice to try and make things "scarier" but it just feels annoying,