Resident Evil 8 (village?)

robdood

I started on hard first time and found that first village part too much. Put it down to normal and pretty much sailed through the rest of the game. Ethan can take a lot of damage. It's a weird early spike for sure.

5 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I started on hard first time and found that first village part too much. Put it down to normal and pretty much sailed through the rest of the game. Ethan can take a lot of damage. It's a weird early spike for sure.

That's what I want to avoid, sailing through the game won't be enjoyable to me, I need a bit more resistance, this feels like Legendary, when I'm looking for Heroic, however! 

15 hours ago, Fusty Gusset said:

That mod didn’t work for me :(

Done around 7 hours and I’m feeling a bit queasy. Hope there’s an alternative soon.

This one worked for me:

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevilvillage/mods/10

Even on console/TV it's unbelievable that they went with such a narrow FOV out of the gate. You literally cannot see the full environments that they've crafted, multiple "reveal" shots where you enter new locations are cropping half the landscape or room out of the image. Look at this. Spoilered for length, these are screenshots from areas in the demo:

Spoiler

tDsytFh.jpg
IWQkwSQ.jpg

uivD6TE.jpg
ZpkmhQJ.jpg

0NY8oxR.png
9Sm6n9v.png

The only problem I've found is you can clearly see three hands if you switch between weapons fast enough :lol:

Completed the second main section and on my way to third when I decided to take a breather as it's been pretty intense for a while now and my nerves are fraying.

Spoiler

I wonder if Kojima had any idea when he made PT how influential it would be. Nearly 7 years later and we've had 2 AAA games in the space of a single week liberally crib from it. 

5th area and 4th Lord down - feels like the last charge now.

Getting a bit silly now I actually said out loud 

Spoiler

They have mother fucking jet packs now

:lol:

Not gonna read that spoiler but I can't imagine the game getting sillier than it already is when 

Spoiler

I'm literally collecting bottles containing parts of my baby that apparently isn't dead, I've just been terrorised by dolls and I was able to instantly reattach my severed hand by pouring first aid liquid on it.

It's totally batshit even by Resi standards.

4 hours ago, Majora said:

I chose Normal specifically because I heard this was battle was a nightmare on Hardcore. Apparently it's the hardest part of the game.

Hide contents

Not sure if it'll help on hardcore but there's a ladder you can drop down in one part which has a bag of flour you can shoot at the bottom to stun enemies. I simply dropping down to this area buying me some time and then they flour some more.

There's also a ladder you can climb somewhere to some higher ground which I think gives you some relative safety for a short while.

I read you have to survive for two minutes before the cutscene triggers which ends the battle but no Idea how true that is.

Can confirm that 2 minutes is not the trigger, I set a stopwatch and it was still going at 4 minutes!

When his

Spoiler

Hand gets chopped off and he reattaches it with the sleeves still in place :lol:

Gloriously stupid. I'm not convinced there's that much actual gameplay yet - seems almost like a VR experience with a few shooty bits, but I'm digging it.

Yeah I’m another person who normally plays on hard, found the first siege an obscene road-block, restated on normal and haven’t died since (besides traps). I don’t want the game to be a pushover but I also have no idea what the criteria for surviving that section are, you barely have enough ammo to kill a handful of enemies and they’re relentless in both their numbers and pursuit. I considered cheesing it out in the basement but I’m not convinced it’s purely time based either?

Yeah, it seems obscenely easy on normal so far. I'm a few hours in and haven't died yet, it's very easy to headshot enemies and escape the pursuers. I'm sure I'll replay it so I'll save hard for a replay. 

There are definitely time-based sequences and scripted moments which you can break if you know what you're doing or get lucky. You can get through some sequences  which appear to be combat focused without firing a shot by simply running. Some of the scripted chases have moments where the pursuer warps to a new location, e.g. to step out in front of you, and you can break these if you know exactly where to run without stopping to fight or muck about.

Also, Resi safe rooms are a classic institution and I love them to bits, but it's weird that a pursuer will stop chasing you into an arbitrary room in their own house. 

And done. Just over 10 hours

Last 30 minutes is silly

I bet this plot was re-written and redone constantly. It's a complete mess and there's a couple info dumps in the last 40 minutes.

Enjoyed it loads but it's front loaded - the castle is such a lovely place, the other areas all don't compete (although the second is very scary).

I think RE7 was a better "experience. This is a mix of 2, 4 and 7 but somehow just becomes less than sum of it's parts.

Finished this in 10 hours and loved it all the way through. Felt like they mixed things up well, with no individual element overstaying it's welcome and strong pacing throughout.

A slightly lesser experience than 7 but a much better game, I feel. 

2 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Yeah I’m another person who normally plays on hard, found the first siege an obscene road-block, restated on normal and haven’t died since (besides traps). I don’t want the game to be a pushover but I also have no idea what the criteria for surviving that section are, you barely have enough ammo to kill a handful of enemies and they’re relentless in both their numbers and pursuit. I considered cheesing it out in the basement but I’m not convinced it’s purely time based either?

Read in a couple of places that it is time based, it's just a longer amount of time than you'd think. 

F549E052-66DE-4449-A496-641FB335243C.thumb.png.6665198b36df005b5bc49ac8263a80a7.png

Loved that throughout, I really enjoyed every section, thought the pacing was great, really appreciated how it mixed things up. For me it’s a much, much better game than 7 which tried to do the same thing throughout the whole game but had the best parts at the start.

Spoiler

I really liked the differences between gameplay and setting across the game. The ruined villiage, vampire castle, dollmaker’s house, lovecraft style fishing village, industrial factory each felt distinct and had a nice classic horror vibe. Similarly the gameplay went from something that felt like a walking sim, into classic resident evil with the interlocking area, then a PT style horror experience without weapons, then something more environmental, then an alien style industrial horror thing with enemies with weak points to target like the regenerator in 4. I loved that it let you cut loose as Chris and just pump bullets into the enemies with powerful guns. 

I also felt the story was way more satisfying than in 7, which set a simple premise early on then dragged it out and resolved it with no real answers. This had a similar simple premise, but it lasted the game out, answered all its questions and the ones left over from 7, and tied it into the older games. I even quite liked the weird tease of zombie soldier in the BSAA. 

I’d give it a solid 9/10, don’t regret spending £55 on it at all. Though my time says 10 hours or so I think it took me about 20. Well worth the money.

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

10 hours seems like a very short game for your money. Won’t outstay its welcome I guess.

55 minutes ago, Majora said:

I love linear ten hour games you can complete in a weekend. More I say! I'm so bored of single player AAA games thinking they all need to be padded 20-50 hour time sinks.

Seems to be causing a bit of a stir at 10hrs, but it absolutely in line with all Resident Evils bar 6. Boggles my mind how people can prefer 30hrs when it just adds trash to it

How long to beat put the RE games at:

RE (96) 6.5hrs

RE (2002) 11hrs

RE 2 (2019) 8.5hrs

RE 3 (2020) 6hrs

RE 4 16 hrs

RE 5 12hrs

RE 6 21.5hrs

RE 7 9hrs

It's a loaded question I know, but does it get scarier at any point? It's certainly fun and thrilling, if a little too slick and over-managed like a VR experience. The tone is extremely campy which is true of all Resi, but I'm not finding the fear which usually accompanies the fun.  I've found every game in the series to be different degrees of well balanced scary-fun including 7, whereas I'm charging around this dispatching enemies without any sense of dread or tension. There was a little bit at the start but it evaporated the second I got a weapon.

I'm in the second area now and it's wheeling out a lot of ham-fisted horror clichés, which I don't mind as I love that stuff, but the tropes it draws on are less Romero/Cronenberg and more Goosebumps. I was really disappointed when I realised

Spoiler

the things hanging from trees were "spooky" Annabelle knockoffs and not uh, actual kids (I'm now realising how this sounds as I type it).

I'm really starting to regret playing on normal. It's simply not balanced for someone using a mouse who has played 1000 hours of Titanfall 2 in the last year. I'm even headshotting chickens from miles away and chuckling to myself. Nothing can get close to me, I recall that there's a guard system but I've not used it once. The first pursuer did zero damage to me outside of cutscenes, including the bossfight.

I know all this sounds like humblebragging but I don't recall having this reaction to 7 or the remakes to 2 and 3. Though 3 wasn't particularly scary. It does however feel like quite a decent action game, so I'm wondering if as the enemy count ramps up, I'll find a bit more agency and enjoyment there. I also wonder if, having played a few horror games in VR now, I've recalibrated my brain somewhat. But I don't think so, Last Of Us 2 wasn't very long ago and parts of that were extremely stressful and frightening.

None of this is to say I'm not enjoying myself or that I don't think it's good.

34 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Boggles my mind how people can prefer 30hrs when it just adds trash to it

A longer length doesn’t need to equate to worse experience. Not all short games are good. For me, £55 for a 10hr game is not particularly good value, although it sounds as though in reality it’s nearer 20. Miles Morales is reported as 7.5 vs 8.5 for this and that took me 20hrs and I thought it benefited greatly vs Spider-Man.

Returnal is reported at 16hrs, interesting when you consider the furore over the price but perhaps RE8 is getting the same and I just haven’t seen it.

9 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

A longer length doesn’t need to equate to worse experience. Not all short games are good. For me, £55 for a 10hr game is not particularly good value, although it sounds as though in reality it’s nearer 20. Miles Morales is reported as 7.5 vs 8.5 for this and that took me 20hrs and I thought it benefited greatly vs Spider-Man.

Returnal is reported at 16hrs, interesting when you consider the furore over the price but perhaps RE8 is getting the same and I just haven’t seen it.

Oh totally, and the converse is true too. Dark Souls was easily a hundred hours of fantastic content.

I just don't think the value in a game comes from it's length, I think it comes from the memories, the experiences, the mechanics etc.

When I look back on the games that meant so much to me and are the most 'worth it' - it's rarely the length that was the factor.

I think it probably depends on your view of it. Me and my girlfriend split the cost because we wanted to play it together right now. We’ve played the remakes of 2 and 3 and VII together and we’re pretty confident that we would enjoy it. We rationalised it as about the amount we would spend on going out for dinner together, which only lasts a few hours. It seems like a reasonable price for an entire weekend of entertainment for two people. 

Returnal will take the average player far far longer to complete than 16 hours first time through. Totally different type of game to Resi 8 though.

The budget for this thing must have been pretty huge, it's full of beautifully rendered one-off locations and set-pieces. Unless you're a Naughty Dog or Rockstar I'm not sure many developers have the money or means to make a game this visually stunning and varied and make it last 20-30 hours. Would cost a fortune.

Most AAA games these days that last a long time are open-world and have samey activities and interiors spread around the map, it's not all unique assets and scenarios like this. Miles Morales being an excellent example actually, you can barely distinguish the activities and interiors in one portion of the map from the other.