Resident Evil 8 (village?)

robdood

21 minutes ago, Majora said:

Returnal will take the average player far far longer to complete than 16 hours first time through. Totally different type of game to Resi 8 though.

The budget for this thing must have been pretty huge, it's full of beautifully rendered one-off locations and set-pieces. Unless you're a Naughty Dog or Rockstar I'm not sure many developers have the money or means to make a game this visually stunning and varied and make it last 20-30 hours. Would cost a fortune.

Most AAA games these days that last a long time are open-world and have samey activities and interiors spread around the map, it's not all unique assets and scenarios like this. Miles Morales being an excellent example actually, you can barely distinguish the activities and interiors in one portion of the map from the other.

Yeah I think there’s also the difference between the remakes of 2 and 3 as well. They have similar numbers of unique locations and enemies, but 2 gets you to move through the same environments repeatedly and is quite a lot longer. But I enjoyed 3 more as it felt like more of a journey and nothing stuck around that long so it felt massively varied. 

Been playing tonight - assuming I've moved onto the second section now 

Spoiler

All witches including lady dimitrescu dead 

I'm enjoying it but it does seem easy on normal (took me 4 hours to get to this point and I have died twice due to dumb mistakes) . But yeah look forward to getting back to it

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

I just don't think the value in a game comes from it's length, I think it comes from the memories, the experiences, the mechanics etc.

When I look back on the games that meant so much to me and are the most 'worth it' - it's rarely the length that was the factor.

That’s very true but I’d rather have a few more memories for my money where possible :D.

I had my second session this evening and am enjoying it more now that there's some actual gameplay to get my teeth into, even if, as @Moz describes, it still feels very on rails in places. The lighting effects are very impressive, and I'm enjoying the silly story. Although the amount of times Ethan has been impaled, severed and mutilated within the first two hours is pretty comical.

And for those people who have bought this physical and are disappointed with the 10hr run-time, what's to stop you from selling it on once you're done with it for a £10-20 less than you paid? That's what I'm fully intending to do. If I end up loving it then I can rebuy it at some point in the future, when it's cheaper, and play through it again fresh.

Sticking with Hardcore and after eventually getting past the very first thing, what follows is hell.

Died so many times it’s like Live Die Repeat. Each time I try again I do feel I’ve made a little progress though.

Gonna stick with it like this.

Put me firmly in the "loving it" camp as well, although I have to say - like some others I also attempted to start this on Hardcore difficulty only to get totally blocked at the first siege. Apparently it's a crazy difficulty spike to have at the start of a game, but gets a little manageable after that. Hmmm well, perhaps I'll give it a go on second playthrough as I didn't want to sour the first playthrough with total frustration.

Most people are saying its not scary - really? I must be a complete wuss then, because I'm not that far in (currently in the castle), and I'm finding it incredibly tense. Actually if I have my heaphones on, I'm bricking it at some bits. :lol: Perhaps it just gets more campy as it goes along - I'm totally fine with that too. :)

The polish on this is insane,  it's very impressive. I've now got past the difficulty spike I spoke about earlier and am into the castle. I intended on stopping at my arrival,  but ended up playing on much further.  At times the game reminds me of a theme park ride,  all the on rails sections without any actual threat, unfortunately it feels more like you're watching than playing, but that's about the worst I can say about it and those moments are so well done,  you're still along for the ride.  

This does feel like a big jump from 7, I've noticed lots of really nice animation details and obviously the grandiose setting is great.  

Definitely glad I stuck with hardcore,  it feels tense in a good way.

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

I’ve not tried hard mode - but on standard blocking (and then push back) made so much difference to damage you take 

How do you do the push after blocking? I got through standard mode without using it. 

5 hours ago, scoobysi said:

A longer length doesn’t need to equate to worse experience. Not all short games are good. For me, £55 for a 10hr game is not particularly good value, although it sounds as though in reality it’s nearer 20. Miles Morales is reported as 7.5 vs 8.5 for this and that took me 20hrs and I thought it benefited greatly vs Spider-Man.

Returnal is reported at 16hrs, interesting when you consider the furore over the price but perhaps RE8 is getting the same and I just haven’t seen it.

Totally agree. £55 for a 10hr game is not good value for money imo. Which is one of the reasons I won’t be buying Resi 8.

I’d say Returnal is more like 50-100hrs to complete fully. I’ve just hit level 3 with 25hrs on the clock. It’s an absolutely phenomenal game and of exceptional quality. It’s that good, for me personally, it’s on a par with playing stuff like Resi 1 on PSone or Ocarina on N64, or Halo on the original Xbox. It’s cutting edge, next gen but there’s that old school magic in it that a lot of games have lost these days.

I think the whole £70 RRP for a game thing, hasn’t really been thought through too well by a lot of people. Yeah, it sounds a lot but, it depends on the quality of the game itself and the value you’ll get from it. 

Anyway, back to Resi 8. I think Capcom should knock Resi on the head for a bit. It’s pretty much just Resi in name only now. 5, 6, 7 and this are a pale shadow of earlier games in the series. They don’t really feel like Resi anymore imo, they’re just using the name to shift units. 

7 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I’ve intentionally been keeping out of this thread because I don’t want Rllmuk negativity tainting just how much I’m fucking loving the shit out of this game. I want you to know this. I fucking love it. Bye.

Put me down as another that fucking loves it. It’s mad, nothing outstays it’s welcome, it holds up marvellously to NG+ runs and it’s just really, really fun to play. What a game. 

The concept art you can buy has Art Director notes attached to them, which I thought was a really nice touch. Lots of extra little bits of information in there!

As has been discussed, 10 hours doesn't represent the fullness of the game. It doesn't include deaths and restarts, or various other instances like time spent sorting your fabulous inventory.

It doesn't include Mercenaries mode or NG+ as noted above.

Even if it was "just" 10 hours, 50 quid for 10 absolutely banging hours is far better than 50 for 200 mediocre ones.

Support good games you nerds.

I’d always take 20 hours I liked so much I finished it over a weekend for £55 over most full priced games. I paid £60 for Red Dead 2 which functionally ended up being a 4 hour game for me, and at least half of that was watching terrible cutscenes. That’s bad value, and I’m sad I supported it. This was a great game and I hope they make 9 ASAP. 

7 hours ago, Broker said:

How do you do the push after blocking? I got through standard mode without using it. 

It should pop up on screen prompting you - press L1 again (on PS5)

14 minutes ago, Broker said:

According to trueachievements my 9:40 completion took 17 hours and 18 minutes.

Yeah, any time you die and continue from a save point, the clock starts at the moment that save point was created. 

I played for at least half an hour between two saves but the second save was only 3 minutes after the first.

17 hours ago, Rudderless said:

Read in a couple of places that it is time based, it's just a longer amount of time than you'd think. 

I’m presuming the timer starts from the minute you enter the shotgun room, but then you’re free to approach the building with the tower first too? Maybe that just sets off a different trigger.

Honestly I might restart it for a third time, I don’t want to sleepwalk through the rest of the game. Madness that you don’t get your first ‘proper’ save point until afterwards. 

Loving this still, now in the factory.

One thing bugs me a little in a game that's so graphically rich - the lack of shadows for enemies' contact with the ground. When everything else is so lush it's a nigglesome immersion breaker.

Finished it. 

Time to complete =

Spoiler

12.5 hours

I think the first half was the more interesting and creative half. The second half is more fun in terms of combat but the environments/setting are less interesting and more generic. Lots of browns and greys.

Personally, I'm still glad I purchased it. It's not a bad RE game.

Spoiler

I wasn't so keen on suddenly losing weapons/upgrades, then being ethan again but going straight to the end. I kinda wanted a chance to go and collect resources and find hidden stuff. Yeah the flow of the last sections didn't sit well with me, felt very abrupt.

2 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I’m presuming the timer starts from the minute you enter the shotgun room, but then you’re free to approach the building with the tower first too? Maybe that just sets off a different trigger.

Honestly I might restart it for a third time, I don’t want to sleepwalk through the rest of the game. Madness that you don’t get your first ‘proper’ save point until afterwards. 

It's definitely not that,  I started a stopwatch when I walked in that room and it was running for 4 minutes.  I think you need to 

Spoiler

Get to the locked metal gate and then double back and run down the stream. For me the sequence was: Shotgun house, tower house, gate, run away from the gate, cutscene triggers. 

I've been playing this since it came out and as someone who wasn't blown away by 7 I'm enjoying Village much more. On PS5 I love how the different guns affect the triggers on the DualSense, it's only a little thing but it's subtle enough to really miss it when it's not there and that to me is what it should be like, it just feels good.

So yeah I'm happy I bought it and getting lots of enjoyment from the game....so far!

Just started this, on hardcore. Not all games allow you to change the difficulty during your game do they? After playing The Last Of Us 2 i just assume it's standard now. I've not read the thread, I'm not the only one to pick hardcore and then 40 minutes in be unable to kill the first thing you come across, the warewolf am i? I run out of bullets then..die. 

edit: killed it! 

That's not remotely one of the difficulty spikes I've seen mentioned is it? There's more to follow isn't there? I've just used the medicine.