Resident Evil 8 (village?)

robdood

11 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Just started this, on hardcore. Not all games allow you to change the difficulty during your game do they? After playing The Last Of Us 2 i just assume it's standard now. I've not read the thread, I'm not the only one to pick hardcore and then 40 minutes in be unable to kill the first thing you come across, the warewolf am i? I run out of bullets then..die. 

edit: killed it! 

That's not remotely one of the difficulty spikes I've seen mentioned is it? There's more to follow isn't there? I've just used the medicine.

you can only change difficulty on death, and only downwards. 

14 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

the first thing you come across, the warewolf am i? I run out of bullets then..die. 

edit: killed it! 

That's not remotely one of the difficulty spikes I've seen mentioned is it? There's more to follow isn't there? I've just used the medicine.

Ooh baby. See you in 5 minutes.

Just now, Wahwah* said:

Ooh baby. See you in 5 minutes.

:lol: i don't think I'm going to have enough ammo. I foresaw this and used my knife against the warewolf but then he'd jump on me and rip my heart out so i stuck with my gun at least to see how many bullets it'd take to bring him down. 

18 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

:lol: i don't think I'm going to have enough ammo. I foresaw this and used my knife against the warewolf but then he'd jump on me and rip my heart out so i stuck with my gun at least to see how many bullets it'd take to bring him down. 

FWIW, you should be able to get hold of enough Ammo, I had a few goes at that first werewolf and then a lot of goes at the next bit. I didn't get the prompt onscreen until much later on, but if you block (LB) and then hit LB again you'll push and kick the attacker back.  I suggest you persevere, it is very difficult, but if you've gone for Hardcore, as I did, you probably want a bit more challenge and that feeling of achievement when you do get past a tricky bit. 

People have said the next thing you'll come to is the hardest bit in the game, no idea as I haven't finished it, but it is doable, despite early impressions.

3 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

you can only change difficulty on death, and only downwards. 

I only see restart or quit? 

edit: oh i see now.

I eventually killed number 2 anyway, with 1 bullet left. Whenever i watch walkthroughs it seems like the player coasts through with ease, not that they're at an expert level, just that nothing is a big deal. Whereas I'm very quick with the 'it's impossible!' for not much reason. 

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

FWIW, you should be able to get hold of enough Ammo, I had a few goes at that first werewolf and then a lot of goes at the next bit. I didn't get the prompt onscreen until much later on, but if you block (LB) and then hit LB again you'll push and kick the attacker back.  I suggest you persevere, it is very difficult, but if you've gone for Hardcore, as I did, you probably want a bit more challenge and that feeling of achievement when you do get past a tricky bit. 

People have said the next thing you'll come to is the hardest bit in the game, no idea as I haven't finished it, but it is doable, despite early impressions.

So that's how to kick. Yeah i was just blocking then using the closeness to get a better shot. The next section has a few of them then..

God bless the developers to have a control setup that switches run from thumbstick down, i was getting worried there was no custom controls. My pad is a bit knackered and it's always been far more awkward than immersive when needing to do it on call of duty. Curse the guy who thought that up and every other game copied it thinking it's really cool. 

As long as i can run I'm confident, lets see...

edit: *carefully climbs down ladders* oh i see you've jumped down and mauled me before I've reached the bottom.

edit 2: 'it's full of flour' WHY IS THAT RELEVANT WHY IS IT THERE. DISTRACTING ME. MAKING ME THINK I CAN DRAG IT OVER AND BLOCK THE DOORWAY.

going to be one room, one item pick up at a time, this.

edit 3: to stun them. ok.

edit 4: i used both exploding barrels! And all my shotgun shells! I don't expect to turn around and see another 5 blocking my path. did they playtest this, i feel like I'm 80% into the game hanging on to reach the end after a series of poorly timed health replenishes. I'm at the 'I'm never going to do this' part of the attempts.  

30 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Anyone else finding they get a touch of motion sickness with this? 

Yup! 100%

I turned camera Bob off and that helped.

if playing PC there is an FOV mod that fixes it completely like! 

43 minutes ago, Fargo said:

The demo did that to me a little, never had anything like that before, I’m fine with PSVR etc. Put me off buying it unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

I get it quite often when starting a new first-person game, but it was worse with this. And no FOV or motion blur options. I just turned camera wobble off, which I think helped a bit.

It reduced with each session anyway, as it always does, just took a little longer than usual.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

Anyone on Series X changed the camera settings? And what to?

I turned camera acceleration off and I think I might have bumped the assuming and camera speed up a notch but that was it. I've found the aiming fine to be honest, not sure what the fuss was about pre-release. 

41 minutes ago, Majora said:

I turned camera acceleration off and I think I might have bumped the assuming and camera speed up a notch but that was it. I've found the aiming fine to be honest, not sure what the fuss was about pre-release. 

Yes, same here. I expected it to feel terrible, the way people were talking but I haven't thought about it until you mentioned it just now.

Right - I was only a bit into the castle (just got through the kitchen) and I was already finding it a tad on the easy side. So - I restarted again on hardcore hoping to get past the first Lycan siege this time. 

I managed to do it in about 3 tries this time around - it's bloody difficult as others have found, but a few pointers that got me through it. Basically you have to use all the means at your disposal - barricades, barrels and flour bags.

1) In the first house where you find the shotgun, barricade the door and hold off the enemies until they break the door down.

2) Leg it to the basement (shoot the flour bag if you need to buy a little time), out of the exit, and around to the back of the 2nd house, run straight inside and immediately barricade that door. Pick up the ammo inside and again hold them off until the door breaks. Use the exploding barrel to pick off the lycans and buy time to get up the ladder without being hit.

3) Next bit is tricky to not get hit but jump down and try and run past all the enemies back to the first barn (right before the siege starts). You should find you can barricade the door again and hold them off for a bit.

4) Once they break in - again tricky to not get hit here but run out and try to get to the other exploding barrel by the gate. If you can get that it should now be enough to finish the section.

It's doable but still way too tricky for a first section and you do need a bit of luck not getting hit in the back as you run away. Saving a health pack should also see you through. I guess when you choose hard-core difficulty what should you expect? 

Now up to where I was before - it does seem a better game with the higher difficulty, I just hope there aren't any more crazy spikes like that first bit!

This is brilliant btw!

On 09/05/2021 at 08:38, MansizeRooster said:

Has anyone else used Digital Foundrys settings tips for LG CX/C1s when playing this game?

So far as I can see, the only difference is it makes the screen less bright.

It makes motion a lot smoother/clearer. Since watching that vid I've been trying it in Returnal and you can definitely tell the difference as you spin the camera around. Cut scenes look super smooth as well. It just seems to completely remove any image retention from frame to frame.

But it does make the picture very dark. You might able to compensate by going through the HDR settings and in game brightness settings, but if you overdo it then it starts to look washed out. 

Completed it, mate.

Thing is, I completed it on standard difficulty and unlocked the associated ‘Best Dad Ever’ achievement. I have a notification saying I did and the auto video record of me doing it.

But it’s not unlocked the actual trophy and it says it’s not been achieved in my list. Has anyone else had this? It unlocked the ‘Best Dad’ achievement for completing on any difficultly (which you’d get from playing any level anyway or just casual).

Tried restarting my PS5 and syncing trophies with the network but didn’t work. Anyone have any ideas?

It’s not the end of the world but I still

want it on the list.

I also restarted this on hardcore, persevered with the first section knowing what to do, and have been finding the rest of the game just-right in terms of difficulty. The enemies are tough and you need to make your shots count, but they’re not insane bullet sponges and you can’t tank your way through sections making loads of mistakes. It’s a much better balance for me.

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

That bit in the castle where 

Hide contents

Big D chops your hand off, but it's ok because you can just plonk it back on and pour some water on it.

lol wut?

Spoiler

He's had some sort of regenerative power since he got infected with the mould in RE7. Besides, the funniest part about it as that the sleeve of his jacket also melds back together exactly as it was.

8 hours ago, Seamonster said:

It makes motion a lot smoother/clearer. Since watching that vid I've been trying it in Returnal and you can definitely tell the difference as you spin the camera around. Cut scenes look super smooth as well. It just seems to completely remove any image retention from frame to frame.

But it does make the picture very dark. You might able to compensate by going through the HDR settings and in game brightness settings, but if you overdo it then it starts to look washed out. 

I haven’t watched the video but I’m guessing BFI? I wouldn’t touch it as the loss of brightness is too much. 

11 minutes ago, Moz said:

I haven’t watched the video but I’m guessing BFI? I wouldn’t touch it as the loss of brightness is too much. 

Yeah I ended up turning it off, I was losing a lot of visibility due to the low brightness.

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

That bit in the castle where 

Reveal hidden contents

Big D chops your hand off, but it's ok because you can just plonk it back on and pour some water on it.

lol wut?

The most audaciously bonkers scene in a game since that bit where you literally get decapitated in Wolfenstein: New Colossus.

3 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:
  Hide contents

He's had some sort of regenerative power since he got infected with the mould in RE7. Besides, the funniest part about it as that the sleeve of his jacket also melds back together exactly as it was.

I can't say I remember that bit from the 7 catch up you can watch at the beginning 

10 hours ago, CheekyMonkey said:

Right - I was only a bit into the castle (just got through the kitchen) and I was already finding it a tad on the easy side. So - I restarted again on hardcore hoping to get past the first Lycan siege this time. 

I managed to do it in about 3 tries this time around - it's bloody difficult as others have found, but a few pointers that got me through it. Basically you have to use all the means at your disposal - barricades, barrels and flour bags.

1) In the first house where you find the shotgun, barricade the door and hold off the enemies until they break the door down.

2) Leg it to the basement (shoot the flour bag if you need to buy a little time), out of the exit, and around to the back of the 2nd house, run straight inside and immediately barricade that door. Pick up the ammo inside and again hold them off until the door breaks. Use the exploding barrel to pick off the lycans and buy time to get up the ladder without being hit.

3) Next bit is tricky to not get hit but jump down and try and run past all the enemies back to the first barn (right before the siege starts). You should find you can barricade the door again and hold them off for a bit.

4) Once they break in - again tricky to not get hit here but run out and try to get to the other exploding barrel by the gate. If you can get that it should now be enough to finish the section.

It's doable but still way too tricky for a first section and you do need a bit of luck not getting hit in the back as you run away. Saving a health pack should also see you through. I guess when you choose hard-core difficulty what should you expect? 

Now up to where I was before - it does seem a better game with the higher difficulty, I just hope there aren't any more crazy spikes like that first bit!

This is brilliant btw!

I'd leave the flour the first time, use the exploding barrel by the red gate on a few of them, run back up to the room with the other barrel, forget the ladder is there then just run around in a panic. The big guy turned up and i thought that would trigger something. I started it again on standard not realising the auto save would be overwritten. :facepalm:

If it's timed then that seems more fair. Did it first time on standard but still seemed harder than it ought to be. 

35 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I can't say I remember that bit from the 7 catch up you can watch at the beginning 

Yeah, I don't think it's mentioned. But he did have a similar situation in 7 as well, and managed to recover.

10 hours ago, Strafe said:

Completed it, mate.

Thing is, I completed it on standard difficulty and unlocked the associated ‘Best Dad Ever’ achievement. I have a notification saying I did and the auto video record of me doing it.

But it’s not unlocked the actual trophy and it says it’s not been achieved in my list. Has anyone else had this? It unlocked the ‘Best Dad’ achievement for completing on any difficultly (which you’d get from playing any level anyway or just casual).

Tried restarting my PS5 and syncing trophies with the network but didn’t work. Anyone have any ideas?

It’s not the end of the world but I still

want it on the list.

Guys, it’s synced now, I have the trophy. No need to worry anymore.

So, I’ve completed it and 

Spoiler

Chris Redfield isn’t going to win any awards for sensitive man of the year is he?

Mia, who’s been locked up underground in a dungeon for god knows how long, just learned her husband has DIED and, presumably, also needs to cope with having a supernaturally powered daughter.

What does Chris say to comfort her? “I told you to sit down” 

I'm torn playing this. Everything about it is wonderful but I seem to have turned into what's commonly known around here as a "big shite-bag" 

I had my Garmin on playing this last night and got a stress alert. From a game... :facepalm:

Also, not a spoiler but a lot of the reviews seem to suggest the second half isn’t as good as the first. I didn’t think that. If anything it was better and the graphics go up a further notch once you get to the factory.