Resident Evil 8 (village?)

robdood

I have finished the castle and now at the part in the house... 

Spoiler

The doll maker section. And holy shit this is tense. I had to switch the game off as it was really getting to me. I can see this as a section that's revered among fans and horror fans in general. 

I also had to take my headphones off as it was too much. 

I'm nearing the end of the game now. Thoughts are somewhat mixed, but seem to be relatively in-tune with what most think in that I really enjoyed the first half of the game and have felt like it's tailed off pretty significantly in the second half. Will reserve full judgement until the final credits roll, mind.

2 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

Yeah I ended up turning it off, I was losing a lot of visibility due to the low brightness.

BFI looks like flickering to me, but I have whatever brain issue makes me still able to see the difference between very high framerates, and makes low framerates look like a slideshow. Very sensitive to it. I would have been a fighter pilot but I don't fit in the cockpit.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

I have finished the castle and now at the part in the house... 

Hide contents

The doll maker section. And holy shit this is tense. I had to switch the game off as it was really getting to me. I can see this as a section that's revered among fans and horror fans in general. 

I also had to take my headphones off as it was too much. 

I'm at this bit. Insanely tense. Can't wait to get back into it.

Although a bit of it was spoiled by YouTube last night - YouTube seems to be hell-bent on spoiling this game for me right now!

2 hours ago, kiroquai said:

I'm nearing the end of the game now. Thoughts are somewhat mixed, but seem to be relatively in-tune with what most think in that I really enjoyed the first half of the game and have felt like it's tailed off pretty significantly in the second half. Will reserve full judgement until the final credits roll, mind.

Can’t really agree with the tail off in all honesty. I know many reviewers say it takes a weird turn, but nothing close to the horrifically bad island encounters at the end of the island from 4, or the dreadful ship section from 7. 

All subjective of course like. 

The story is nuts, but if they can make this work, imagine what they could do with another slightly more grounded Zombie RE. 

Spoiler

I think the biggest problem is because the Castle is so good, and the house is something so different, the other sections feel way more RE 4 than classic. But again, I don’t think it taints the experience. If anything the varying styles help it feel crispy fresh throughout.

6 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

Can’t really agree with the tail off in all honesty. I know many reviewers say it takes a weird turn, but nothing close to the horrifically bad island encounters at the end of the island from 4, or the dreadful ship section from 7. 

We can certainly agree on that :) - utterly loathed that ship section. 7 was a really fantastic series reboot in so many ways, but that bit was naff.

1 hour ago, MansizeRooster said:

Ever since they started using RE Engine, Capcom have become utterly obsessed with bolt cutters.

It's weird but if there isn't at least one set of bolt cutters in the project the game won't compile.

Through the castle and really getting into this now. I hope I get there chance to go back there as there were a few treasures I missed. Sometimes a room will be red on the map and yet I've combed every inch of it.

45 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Through the castle and really getting into this now. I hope I get there chance to go back there as there were a few treasures I missed. Sometimes a room will be red on the map and yet I've combed every inch of it.

I couldn't always get all the rooms to turn blue either. I did for most of them but a few I just gave up on.

I'm a bit annoyed as there is one treasure chest in the main village map I haven't opened and after checking a guide it turns out that you can only open it if you go to a particular area at a particular point in the game to get a particular item. I'm past that point now so it's going to remain closed forever :(

Apologies if already asked - any big differences between the old console versions and the new?

I’m restricted by either base Xbox One (the launch one) or base PS4.

7 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Whoever came up with the bit with 

Reveal hidden contents

The two swinging braziers

needs shot :angry:

Shoot them don’t push them (standard pistol is fine)

1 hour ago, MrHendo said:

Apologies if already asked - any big differences between the old console versions and the new?

I’m restricted by either base Xbox One (the launch one) or base PS4.

It's basically just ray tracing and higher resolution/framerate on the new gen consoles.

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

Shoot them don’t push them (standard pistol is fine)

Aye, I'll tell the jokes. I tried everything. Pushing them, shooting them, harsh language. I eventually fluked it by just running around like a dafty.

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Aye, I'll tell the jokes. I tried everything. Pushing them, shooting them, harsh language. I eventually fluked it by just running around like a dafty.

I don't understand what the problem was?

Spoiler

You just shoot them in the direction of the thing you want to light? 

Finished the House section. 

Took me 3 sittings. The most tense and scary section I have expericed in a computer game. Had to eventually play without headphones to get through it. 

Still waiting until I finish the game before I come in here and really get involved in the chat (I haven’t read a single post from anyone else since it came out) but I’m gonna say it right now. I think this might be the best fucking game in the series. I fucking LOVE IT. The pacing, the exploration, the boss fights, the environment design, Metal Gear Solid / RE4 standard set pieces, the collectibles, the secrets, the fucking LOLs, it is utterly fantastic. I FUCKING LOVE IT.

Ok bye!

I am absolutely loving this so far. I hear that the final area is a bit of a drop-off, but even so the game as a whole is cracking. 

It even manages to feel fairly Resident Evil in places, despite the 1st-person malarkey.

I'm on the fence here.  I loved Resident Evil 7 on the PSVR.  But the VR is so good that it's hard to go back to playing on the TV.  My attempts to play RE7 without the VR headset didn't go anywhere because I'd end up saving my progress and sticking the headset back on.  It's just so much better in VR that the 2d game gets spoiled.

I'm a big fan of all the Resi games but for me, 7 was built as a VR experience. It was first person because it was VR.  So for them to continue with the first person view but not VR seems a really odd choice.  But then again, £40 at Tesco so what the hell, I'll give it a punt at that price.   Maybe VR support will be added later?

15 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Whoever came up with the bit with 

Reveal hidden contents

The two swinging braziers

needs shot :angry:

I remember thinking at the time “we’ve had great physics puzzles since Half Life 2 and that was in 2004” so who knows what they were thinking with this

59 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Loving this for the most part but the bullet sponge baddies are annoying. Half the time you can empty an entire clip into them without them even blinking.

I've only played the demo of this granted (I have played all the previous games though), but I do find it pretty disappointing there is absolutely no strategy required in the combat or any proper hit reactions or limb removal for example. Just point and shoot at bullet sponges until the game decides (probably based on the amount of ammo in your inventory) that the enemy is now dead. I really hope RE9 is next gen only and they have a big rethink in how to improve on this area in a big way. 

Double dipped on this ps5 abs pc As my mum is staying and her Poldark sessions are hogging the tv.

its utterly glorious looking in 4K hdr with all bells and whistles maxed out. But fuck me its dark.
Old Ethan is doing well considering he’s had half of his fingers chomped off and then hung by meat hooks through his hands.

Amazing what a bit of detol can do to fix you right up.