Resident Evil 8 (village?)

robdood

I only go for head shots and most baddies go down in 2-5 hits. 

I have an abaundance of ammo and not having any difficulties tbh. 

(I'm playing on standard) 

7 minutes ago, Ry said:

I only go for head shots and most baddies go down in 2-5 hits. 

I have an abaundance of ammo and not having any difficulties tbh. 

(I'm playing on standard) 

Same as me.

The heads go pop fairly regularly, I find.

Bah.

I killed a load of animals in the village and noticed they fetched a pretty penny from The Duke, and seeing as the item description for each of them said 'The Duke will probably buy it', I thought that was the game's way of telling me to just cash them in, so I did. Of course, 5 minutes later I unlocked the cooking mechanic and the ability to permanently upgrade my stats, but all of the ingredients had already been sold. Hopefully all of those chickens, fish and pigs will...regenerate?

Also, is it possible to get back to the castle now that I've left it? I went beyond the point of no return without having cleared out all the rooms and now the drawbridge to get there is up.

Onto the 

Spoiler

Doll's house bit now.

:ph34r:

And done. Until I start all over again tomorrow! Been a while since doing that!

Brilliant.

My order for the series then:

REmake (GC) > RE4 > RE7 VR > RE2make > RE2 > RE8 > RE7 > RE3make > RE > RECV > RE5 > REzero > RE3 >>>> RE6

(I still need to play Revelations sub-series)

13 minutes ago, Triple A said:

And done. Until I start all over again tomorrow! Been a while since doing that!

Brilliant.

My order for the series then:

REmake (GC) > RE4 > RE7 VR > RE2make > RE2 > RE8 > RE7 > RE3make > RE > RECV > RE5 > REzero > RE3 >>>> RE6

(I still need to play Revelations sub-series)

This is a pretty banging list I won’t lie. 

I would personally swap RE2R with the number 1 spot just mainly as I got to experience it at E3, and spedrun it like crazy, otherwise absolutely agree! 

I absolutely detest the ship section from 7, however in VR it was a nail biting nightmare. Brilliant stuff. 

3 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

So for the second area...

Reveal hidden contents

Is psychokinesis/telepathy a thing in this universe now? It's a great stage, but seems so divorced from the series more grounded bioweapon-based origins.

Spoiler

IIRC you find in files there and later that it's more about hallucinations/controlling perceptions. 

The flowers (yellow cone like) that are in paintings and around the house drive it.

e.g. on your final stab of the doll you actually the stab the lord when the vision clears, when you walk back to town all the hanging dolls are now now hanging bodies.

But yeah it is a bit strangely done/explained, and doesn't explain the dolls movements in, say, the first scene you were captured in with Miranda the lords

Another question about the second area (for those that have finished the game)

Spoiler

What was up with the Mia stuff in the basement? It seem like they were setting up she'd been replaced by a doll or the doll maker, and there's lots of memories/recollections around the place from 1st person perspective.

But then at the end it was Miranda shape shifted to be Mia? So what's the Mia doll/mementos all about?

This game is really something - I'm so glad I went back and persevered with the hardcore difficulty. I've just left the castle and now back in the village but I thought the castle was pitched perfectly - I just about got through by the skin of my teeth.

Is it just me or are the standard Lycan enemies really hard to kill? Maybe its the difficulty again, but whenever I face more than one it usually ends in death (not theirs). I think perhaps on hardcore you've really got to get your headshots in? Its damn tricky though - they tend to move a lot more erratically then your standard resi enemies so I end up throwing a lot of bullets away. 

So far it's absolutely brilliant though - great job Capcom! :wub:

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Bah.

I killed a load of animals in the village and noticed they fetched a pretty penny from The Duke, and seeing as the item description for each of them said 'The Duke will probably buy it', I thought that was the game's way of telling me to just cash them in, so I did. Of course, 5 minutes later I unlocked the cooking mechanic and the ability to permanently upgrade my stats, but all of the ingredients had already been sold. Hopefully all of those chickens, fish and pigs will...regenerate?

Also, is it possible to get back to the castle now that I've left it? I went beyond the point of no return without having cleared out all the rooms and now the drawbridge to get there is up.

Onto the 

Hide contents

Doll's house bit now.

:ph34r:

Unfortunately I think you’re screwed on both counts here. I also sold some meat and I don’t think any animals regen, and there’s no way back to the castle now. 

19 minutes ago, Broker said:

Unfortunately I think you’re screwed on both counts here. I also sold some meat and I don’t think any animals regen, and there’s no way back to the castle now. 

Really? That's shit. Is there no other way to get ingredients apart from the animals in the village? Seems like a big oversight if they give you the ability to sell the ingredients before introducing the cooking mechanic.

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Really? That's shit. Is there no other way to get ingredients apart from the animals in the village? Seems like a big oversight of they give you the ability to sell the ingredients before introducing the cooking mechanic.

There’s more animals in other areas - so there’s more than enough ingredients for each meal (just).

A lot of them are missable in areas that you can’t go back to though 

47 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Really? That's shit. Is there no other way to get ingredients apart from the animals in the village? Seems like a big oversight if they give you the ability to sell the ingredients before introducing the cooking mechanic.

After the meals unlocked I found enough ingredients to make a few of them, but I didn’t have enough to make them all.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah I had the same happen to me - sold a shitload of fish and a one-off piece of rare meat. Ended up meaning that I couldn't craft some of the more useful recipes. They definitely needed to open up the cooking stuff earlier and make the description of meat less open to interpretation that you might as well sell it.

I completed this the other night. Quite enjoyed the last major area all the way through to the end credits, actually - having said I felt like the second half of the game dropped off from the first, I still think it does but the last hour or so lessened the extent I felt it. Will probably do a second run somewhere down the road.

Yeah, I sold off some chicken and fish too. However, I did later find an optional area near the village where

Spoiler

there's a load of meat of various kinds to grab in a freezer, if you kill the huge butcher thing guarding it.

I'm swimming in meat but I am lacking a single regular fish to complete the recipe collection on my first play. Not even a special fish, just a bog-standard one. Not terribly optimistic about finding it now though. I'm not even sure if I will have a chance to go back to the village at the point I'm at in the game.

Just finished. 

Absolutely brilliant game. I'm annoyed at myself for missing some collectibles though (I rarely replay single player games) 

Going to pump in a few hours into mercanaries and that's me done, then wait patiently for RE4 Remake. 

In my top 5 favourite RE games and easily my GOTY so far and it will take some beating. 

That post credits scene... 

Spoiler

So we are now at least 15 years ahead in the RE timeline then? 

That's it for Ethan then? 

Any hidden meaning I'm missing? 

23 minutes ago, Ry said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Try dropping into photo mode during that end scene and taking a look at that figure you can see walking along the road towards the car that Rose and the agent are in :)

56 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Hide contents

Try dropping into photo mode during that end scene and taking a look at that figure you can see walking along the road towards the car that Rose and the agent are in :)

Spoiler

I have watched the scene. I can't go back and check. 

Had a look online. 

Spoiler

Oh well. Was fine with Ethan being gone but he is essentially immortal if that's him back. 

Are we going to have regenerating gods as every protagonist now? It's my one complaint with the last couple games. 

If we are controlling Rose from here on how are they going to implement the "abilities" she has? 

Bring back actual humans I say. Having these indestructible characters takes away a lot of the survival horror element.

I don't mind the game being silly but when Ethan gets his heart ripped out and it doesn't kill him then how does it make sense he can die in game to a few hits from a baddie later? 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Just finished. 

Absolutely brilliant game. I'm annoyed at myself for missing some collectibles though (I rarely replay single player games) 

Going to pump in a few hours into mercanaries and that's me done, then wait patiently for RE4 Remake. 

In my top 5 favourite RE games and easily my GOTY so far and it will take some beating. 

Hide contents

Spoiler

Evelyn aged quickly 

Rose might to. There’s ni dates/calendars/technology in scene that puts it in the future either

I now know why you people like resident evil. This game is great. I’ve just finished the doll house and I just hope the rest of the lords maps/locations are larger.

So I'm at the house

Spoiler

Where the fuck has this come from?! It was camp horror and now it's pure psychological horror, like PT continued. No one said anything about this! When I'm already freaked out about the shadowy figure sat down at the end of the hallway, the photo frame swinging, the phone ringing, and the white figure walking by the window (yes i saw them all developers, well done! Unless there are more..i don't want to know), and then i open a previously locked door and it's some steps going down into complete darkness...no. Tbh I've found the game up to this point pretty boring so now it's presented a dilemma, at it's most engaging it's turning off the lights and having babies crying and i have a breaker box key which i don't think I'm going to be able to use somewhere if my back is pressed against the wall and I'm not moving. 

Also i do not want to use that closet in that room to climb inside and hide. I don't want a sequence where I'm running away from something. 

Spoiler

Oh God the deformed baby. WHERE THE FUCK HAS THIS COME FROM. I let it devour me, twice. I thought it was a dream. Am i supposed to run away from it?? I didn't want to turn my back on it. Of course i ran back towards the well hoping it'd fall down it or something only to hit the door. If there is a window in the corridor I'll just jump through it. 

Well done, game, you've got a grown man yelling Noooo!! over and over. 

Spoiler

That house sequence is one of the best parts of a game I've ever played. It uses the astonishing photorealism for unnerving effect rather than just cosmetically. Maybe it's just me but i find corridors in houses creepy in a way no other environment can be. It's the ordinariness, that you're trapped, looking one way but feel vulnerable from behind. 

It's a complete tonal shift but works better given how out of place it is. After all these years I've got another PT fix.