Resident Evil 8 (village?)

2 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

It will retain the horror of 7, add in the insane escalation and surprise of 4, with action but not quite as much, include stealth unlike ever before, and wrap it all up in something so comprehensively good people will be in a fixated state of awe. On release this thread will contain pages and pages of overwhelming gushing praise with not a dissenter in sight, the likes we've not seen for a long time.

:ph34r:

(honestly, if this was to be another Resi game with the level of horror of 7 it would be unplayable for me due to being a massive wuss, and then combining it with the approach of 4 - the game which turned Resi into an action game series that I don't enjoy - would just be salt in the wound)

Sadly, as much as the above is unlikely, I imagine this'll be yet another Resi that's outside of my terror threshold, as all modern Resident Evil games appear to be. A particular shame, as I'm a big fan of the Tall Lady.

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

(honestly, if this was to be another Resi game with the level of horror of 7 it would be unplayable for me due to being a massive wuss, and then combining it with the approach of 4 - the game which turned Resi into an action game series that I don't enjoy - would just be salt in the wound)

Sadly, as much as the above is unlikely, I imagine this'll be yet another Resi that's outside of my terror threshold, as all modern Resident Evil games appear to be. A particular shame, as I'm a big fan of the Tall Lady.

When I saw the notification i thought it might be about the mention of stealth. When I was editing I was gonna rewrite it as 'stealth that is competent enough it will even please Wiper' but decided not. The way the ogre was lurking in a video made it seem stealth would be part of the game. 

I've not actually even played Resident Evil 7 past the demo lol. I don't have vr because it's so expensive and wanted to wait. Have an experience that's genuinely memorable. I didn't take any notice of PT for ages then when I finally gave it a go it was chilling in a way that it felt like it carved open a whole new genre I'd never experienced - mostly because it tapped into real life domestic trauma rather than monsters and zombies. Stories about fathers who kill their family out of nowhere inside their own home are the most disturbing stories. It's easy to be affected knowing these things have happened. Like Shadow Man with its real life serial killers.

There's a documentary on Netflix about a man who killed his young kids and wife because he was having an affair and was too cowardly to leave. There's police body cam footage of the next day. He says at one point to the cop; my wife is pregnant as well. The normalcy of the interaction can't alter how extreme and alien his actions were. Like not revelling in the 'evil' of it as though he was possessed; he had full control. But just trying to get a sense of the severely dark horrific things swirling around the mind that can do something like that. Or do we attach deep thought to killers who might be just thick. Like the banality of the violent action itself. Seeing him roughly normal the next day is disturbing though, it's not just sensationalist presentation of it. Then you think; he was a sociopath all along but never indulged in the desires that were always there. Either he really felt trapped in his marriage and saw the removal of his family as a release to escape into another life or he desired the power of taking lives, the more important they were to him, the more vulnerable they were, the more they relied on his care a d trusted him completely..the more of a thrill he got. Usually family murderers commit suicide afterwards and apparently he considered that 'because of the guilt'. He smothered his 4 year old while his 3 year old sat in the car. Then took her out. Her final words were 'daddy, no'. 

I probably deserve a ban for reminding anyone of that case, taking the thread way off topic. '72 hour ban - brought up horrific murders, no need for it'. It's as upsetting as it gets. on the other hand, in comparison is Resident Evil 7 really too scary? 

aanyywaayy

This game doesn't appear to be inspired by any of that. Resident Evil 4's horror was most effective for me in tapping into the outsider in a remote village where everyone turns on you. Then the cults of the church, I find that more powerful than individual aimless zombies, the ostracism of it. It's all very evocative. Then it finds even more horror in the black slow moving beings that lurch towards you - take loads of hits and don't appear to care. Like a walking manifestation of the black plague, inescapable, inevitable. The sound they make, the way the game had thrown a thousand zombies at you up to that point that you practically mow down, to upend that expectation and force you to panic. 

I'm always going to gravitate towards action because I want to play, unless it's hacking and slashing and then it's too exhausting. Wandering moody environments itching to shoot at something then feeling unfulfilled when an encounter is over so soon. Resident Evil 4 shares Goldeneye's precise aiming and enemy hit points but also the movement where you always move 4 steps ahead of everything else and however clunky the movement is there's a feeling of mastery in that. 

Resident Evil 4's village is my favourite videogame setting ever I think. 90% of my enthusiasm is due to that. I always wanted a section in the game where you're in a forest in pitch darkness and trying to navigate and evade based on noise. Has any game captured being lost in a forest being hunted and vulnerable? 

This new game might end up being more Apostle than The Witch. Hard to tell if it will elevate itself to something really inspired. The area is said to be more expansive than Resident Evil 7, or more open, but looks like you unlock areas as you go and backtrack a lot rather than moving through like in RE4. I hope there's loads of secret areas where you don't know where it will lead. A dark tunnel with peculiar scratching coming from somewhere, dungeons, things like that. The sense you don't know where it ends. RE4 had that, you think it's going to end and it just keeps going. 

Cannot wait to see more of this. Loved if terrified by 7 up until the last parts at least and more of anything 4 related turned up sounds good to me. 

3 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

I've not actually even played Resident Evil 7 past the demo lol.

See, if you had, you'd know that the best game since 4 had already come out. 

9 hours ago, Wiper said:

How far into 7 did you get? I did wonder initially if I could cope because the opening section around Pa Baker is horrifically nerve shredding, I'd say that's a third of the game but from that point on I continued to enjoy it but didn't find anything come close to the same levels of panic.

Plot wise the more it went on the more it started to feel like it was veering into traditional Resident Evil territory too. 

Just the opening was too much for me, alas. Bear in mind Alien Isolation also scared me off within about an hour of play, despite a strong desire to explore its gorgeous environments, and even the Resi 2 remake was too much for me (though there I did at least last a fair few hours before it all got too much). My stomach for horror, particularly as the fidelity has increased, is pretty limited :(

11 hours ago, Broker said:

Is there a date on this yet? This is probably the first next gen game I’ll be really interested in getting.

I think originally they said 2021. 

But I just assume everything will be delayed. 

Has anyone had an invite to what seems to be a previously unannouced Resident Evil title?  I cant for the life of me work out what my Capcom ID is to register for it and it links to the Japanese sites.

image.thumb.png.4cff02b3503d2702e0578fa9af154fe8.png

5 minutes ago, simms said:

I really need to get round to playing Resident 7.   I was waiting for a PC VR release damn you Capcom *shakes fist*

If you have access to PSVR it is 100% worth playing it that way.  One of the most incredible experiences I have ever had in gaming. 

5 hours ago, Wiper said:

Just the opening was too much for me, alas. Bear in mind Alien Isolation also scared me off within about an hour of play, despite a strong desire to explore its gorgeous environments, and even the Resi 2 remake was too much for me (though there I did at least last a fair few hours before it all got too much). My stomach for horror, particularly as the fidelity has increased, is pretty limited :(

It gets more bearable. It pushed me to my limits in that opening bit but the power balance shifts as the games progresses. I thought it was excellent.

9 hours ago, Parappa said:

If you have access to PSVR it is 100% worth playing it that way.  One of the most incredible experiences I have ever had in gaming. 

Yep, up there with Pong, Ridge Racer (PSX) and Mario 64.

I’m getting more and more excited about this. VII was obviously excellent, but it did sometimes feel slightly restricted by the hardware. The idea of that type of game with better graphics, more reactive enemies, better lighting etc is really exciting. The remakes of 2 and especially 3 were also fantastic games. 

• 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, Stanley said:

When does the demo come out for other systems? 

I've played it and tbh it's barely even a demo. It's very good and atmospheric but you would probably get away with watching a play through on Youtube.

42 minutes ago, Stanley said:

When does the demo come out for other systems? 

I would guess it'll drop after the next showcase. I believe it will be a different one from the PlayStation exclusive one already released, but I may be remembering that wrong.

I’m looking forward to it anyway, just to see what it’s like running natively on the Series X really -YouTube always adds compression etc. and probably won’t have HDR. 

2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I can’t believe that patter. It looked the best the series has ever looked, which is saying something.

Yeah, it looked great to my eyes too. Not gonna comment on how it felt since it wasn't a gameplay demo, but visually and audio wise it totally hit the mark.

Without booting it up to check the message that pops when you start it, they were very specific that it wasn’t intended as a demo of the gameplay. 

Wiki to the rescue - “Set in the same location as Village but at a different time compared to the main game, Maiden is designed as a "visual demo" to show Castle Dimistrescu as a location and to preview the game's atmosphere and tone, similar to the KITCHENand Resident Evil 7 Teaser Demo: Beginning Hourdemos for Resident Evil 7: Biohazard.”

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really annoyed with the demo situation with this game. To me, Resident Evil is about slowly opening up new amazing environments and having no idea what is through the next door. With the Maiden demo, walking into that incredible lobby area is now ruined. I know it's layout so it's going to be so much less fearful. Now they are doing that with larger sections of the game, what are they playing at?

RE7 kinda did this, it was done much better and fit with the lore but that said I would have preferred if they didn't do it.

I should just not play the demos, I know. It's just frustrating because other people are having that joy of discovery taken away from them. Players should be exploring these new areas in context.

Anyway, I actually think RE8 is going to be a bit of a mess. We know it was never meant to be RE8 but a spinoff (revelations 3) but got warped into RE8 late in development which doesn't bode well. 

Sorry, I'm being really down on this. At least it's something, in a very sparse 2021. Should be thankful for that!