IGNORED

Resident Evil 8 (village?)

robdood

30 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

So essentially for PS5 there's no real reason to turn off RT? If it's mostly 60fps with the occasional dip, I can live with that.

Locked 60fps at the expense of RT sounds a bit pointless to me, given the alternative option.

I have a feeling there will be some major dips later on. 

The digital foundry showed some dips into the 50s when 1 enemy was on screen. 

Usually they criticise things like that but they just gave it a pass for some reason. 

I also thought the game looked better with RT off at times. 

I have it preordered for xbox (thank you MS reward points!) and hoping it has a similar or better performance. But I'm all for a locked 60fps. 

34 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Does anyone know when you can play the demo next? 

Europe: April 25 @ 7pm to April 26 @ 3am CEST for the Castle section of the demo on PS4/5.

Europe: May 2 @ 2am to May 3 @ 2am CEST for an hour long demo of the Village + Castle combined on all platforms.

It also tells you if you start the demo up with a lovely little countdown.

22 hours ago, deerokus said:

I'd say there's no reason to turn ON Ray Tracing, it doesn't look better, just very subtly different. 

That was the other thing DF said, the ray tracing is very limited and it's obviously a game that's visually built without it in mind.

That was fun, although the time limit made me rush more than was probably necessary. (It’s not as nonlinear as it looks so don’t worry that you’re wasting time if you explore a bit.) Still not impressed by the impact of the weapons. And I didn’t mention earlier, but does it seem like the black level is way too high in this by default? It’s the only game where I’ve had to significantly change the brightness settings to get it looking right.

Spoiler

“Just something a friend of mine used to say.” Yay!

Maybe I was rushing more than last time, but did the castle in 16 minutes, so got time for another run.

My hope is the demos are not giving the full impression of the game. I've enjoyed them both but my concern if they've added too much action. The castle demo had a fairly significant amount of enemies.

Hell, I want more and varied action. I want to be able to piledrive these dudes through a table after a headshot.

Part of this is that games don't scare me, so slowly wandering around the castle doesn't do much for me personally. Second, this game should absolutely have VR support. On all systems. After initially finding 7 kinda boring at launch, I replayed on PSVR recently and enjoyed it much more. It still goes downhill once you hit the ship, but it's a much better way to experience a game like this.

On 23/04/2021 at 13:10, Fox said:

There had better be an underground lab. 

There had better not be, I'm so tired of there being a characterless underground lab at the end of every Resi game that is inevitably a huge step down in both atmosphere and level design from the preceding levels. It's a dull crutch.

I found myself rushing it, even ignoring notes/letters etc so it really didn't feel like a RE game. Also the combat parts are awful, I only had the pistol but  I genuinely feel like the pistol shooting in RE4 is more satisfying? Perhaps it was the tight areas you're fighting them in?

Still Day 1 as so far, I've never been disappointed with a RE game but that said, just like RE7 I'm going into this with a fear that they have messed it up.

Hmm I wasn’t sure what to make of that. 

I finished in 17 mins. Nothing happens and it’s not scary. It seems like a lot of structural/scheduling fuss for what amounts to a few doors and a bit of tutorial.

Worryingly the combat felt absolutely awful. I played Resi 7 and 2 remake on Pc, and 3 on PC with a pad. This is the first time I’ve played RE’s first person mode on a pad. It felt really swimmy and imprecise, but not in a good survival horror way, with strong aim assist that seemed to make it harder to hit anything as it snapped to where they were half a second ago and made the cursor more erratic.

The triggers were a mixed bag, pulling the trigger felt good but knife combat felt weird and bad. Annoyingly you can feel the right trigger reset tension when you switch weapons (even to a knife) which strangely reminded of my PS4 pad with the squeaky trigger. Quite an unpleasant sensation and it seemed to keep happening at odd times, like going through certain doors. 

The enemies were dumb to the extreme and no matter where I shot them they didn’t seem to react differently (stumbling, exploding heads, dropping weapons, critical damage etc). It was a shame not to see any of the cool zombie tech/mechanics from RE2 remake. 

I’ve preordered on PC already and I’m not too worried, I’m sure it’ll be good fun, but this was an underwhelming demo considering they’re making such a fuss about it. 

Thought I would speedrun it since I used to run RE2 a lot. May end up speed running the full game as so far this and the village demo were incredible for some speedy goodness! 

Took me around 15 minutes for first run, but I agree the combat didn’t feel great. Pre ordered on PC as RE7 was light years nicer with Mouse and Keyboard in my opinion! Also not very scary, but it could have its moments hopefully! 

5 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I'll likely enjoy this and I did enjoy 7 quite a bit, but I prefer third-person Resi as well, and by quite a huge margin.

I was hoping they’d have managed to transfer the weight of the gunplay over to this despite the perspective change. As @Mozmentioned, even the way these zombies react to being shot feels like a step back.