IGNORED

Resident Evil 4 Remake reportedly underway... that interest ya?

Thread Owner

I’m so behind on the series that I only finally got up to Zero a few months back. RE 4 original is the next in my order and I’m scared I’m not going to appreciate it as much as I could have done had I played it years back. I love RE but very much am stuck in the old RE style. 

You’re in for a real treat. It’s a blast from start to finish. It’s not traditional Resi, but it’s still Undeniably a Resident Evil game. You’ll love it I’m sure, think of it like an action move spin off if it helps. 

Honestly not quite sure what to think about this - I did wonder if RE4 would be on the remake list, it's still a fantastic game if you can get over the somewhat weird controls.

Actually, it's probably my favourite game of all time and the remake news scares me a little.

They have two choice - a remake that remains as faithful as possible to the original or a re imaging like RE3.

RE4 is a massive game in comparison to RE2/RE3 - I think the castle area would take most people the same amount of time to complete in the same time it takes to complete RE3 for example. However, RE4 does suffer a little with pacing - the castle slows things down a bit, it does drag on a little near the end too... but generally it's a fun experience.

So, would the remake cut down certain areas to improve the pacing? Would it remove puzzles ala RE3?

I wouldn't be surprised either if the Chainsaw guy makes much more of an appearance in a remake too. 

So, yeah I am looking forward to the remake but at the same time with the changes they made with the previous two remakes i am a little concerned.

Suppose the original RE4 isn't going away anytime soon though.

I think it's another case of best leaving it to my wonderful cherished memories of one of the greatest action adventure games ever made. If it's anything like REmake 2, I'd be noping out of it anyway, no matter how good a reimagining it was :P

Code: Veronica reimagining is more of an interesting prospect as that would be a massive change from the original game. Shit your pants realistic lighting and zombies, hell nope! :)

For me, it boils down to this one point. Resident Evil 2 and 3 were great at their time but with today's tech you can give the games a total overhaul. You wouldn't want to play resi2 on a PS1 today because the doors, loading times , controls etc have all been bettered since. But resi 4 is still brilliant and can be played at 60fps with hd graphics on PS4 already. A remake will be pointless unless they reimagine it and you can reimagine other games, but reimagining one of the best games of all time when it still stands up as the best of the series anyway  , well, that's going to be difficult.

3 minutes ago, dumpster said:

For me, it boils down to this one point. Resident Evil 2 and 3 were great at their time but with today's tech you can give the games a total overhaul. You wouldn't want to play resi2 on a PS1 today because the doors, loading times , controls etc have all been bettered since. But resi 4 is still brilliant and can be played at 60fps with hd graphics on PS4 already. A remake will be pointless unless they reimagine it and you can reimagine other games, but reimagining one of the best games of all time when it still stands up as the best of the series anyway  , well, that's going to be difficult.

For me too. I completely get remaking 2 and 3 because you can't play them on current consoles (Vita excepted) but 4 is still brilliantly enjoyable on PS4. It would have to be a complete reimagining if they changed the controls. I know people have moaned about them and how modern controls would be better, but those people are ignoring the point thats been made so many times. The whole design of the game and the enemies and their behaviour is based around those controls, and thats what makes it work so well. It would be a completely different game, and if thats going to be the case, then why not just make a completely different game? I for one wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole until I had read a tons of reviews and impressions of it, and it's one of my favourite games of all time.

I find it really weird playing RE4 and being rooted to the spot when I aim the gun, so I'd love to see a remake which brings it more in line with modern control sensibilities, although I appreciate that has a HOST of knock-ons which may negatively impact the experience if they're not catered for properly.

Plus, I've not played RE4 in about 8 years, so it'll probably feel pretty fresh for me.

9 hours ago, mexos said:

I’m not into Nintendo games at all.

Apologies in advance for derail...

OK, I’ll bite lol

What is “a Nintendo game”? Because from where I stand, Nintendo produce perhaps the most diverse range of software in the industry. Nintendo gives us Mario, and Fire Emblem. They give us Zelda, and Splatoon. They give us Brain Training and Animal Crossing. They give us Pokemon and Metroid. They give us F-Zero, and Pikmin. They give us Starfox, and Labo. They give us Kirby, and Smash Bros. And I’ve missed a lot of stuff off.

I can’t even begin to define a “Nintendo Game”, let alone consider broadly ruling the lot of them out.

Its like saying, I don’t like food. Not specifically sprouts, not specifically cauliflower, not specifically even Thai food. Just all food.

10 minutes ago, rgraves said:

OK, I’ll bite lol

What is “a Nintendo game”? Because from where I stand, Nintendo produce perhaps the most diverse range of software in the industry. Nintendo gives us Mario, and Fire Emblem. They give us Zelda, and Splatoon. They give us Brain Training and Animal Crossing. They give us Pokemon and Metroid. They give us F-Zero, and Pikmin. They give us Starfox, and Labo. They give us Kirby, and Smash Bros. And I’ve missed a lot of stuff off.

I can’t even begin to define a “Nintendo Game”, let alone consider broadly ruling the lot of them out.

Its like saying, I don’t like food. Not specifically sprouts, not specifically cauliflower, not specifically even Thai food. Just all food.

I really wasn’t trying to bait anyone. 

I mainly play driving games that try to be realistic and the occasional survival shooter like resi or TLOU. Nintendo don’t make the type of games I like. If they decide to make a better realistic racer than GT Sport I’ll happy play it. 

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

Apologies in advance for derail...

OK, I’ll bite lol

We all know you really, really, really like Nintendo games its okay. 

They probably don't need you to defend their honour.

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

We all know you really, really, really like Nintendo games its okay. 

They probably don't need you to defend their honour.

i know it’s OK. They’re (mostly) great. Some of the best in this little hobby world of ours. I don’t need your permission to think that.

Strange how the original poster I was replying to managed a much more adult reply than you - probably because he wasn’t desperately trying to work out if he could slip fanboy or NDF into his post. Which I’m fairly sure you probably were.

sorry everyone - back to RE4, which is a masterpiece. One of the best ever. I’m torn on the remake front - good luck to them, must be pretty daunting to even try and live up to it.

Why be torn? The original will always be there and there is a chance, how slim is a matter of opinion, but a chance that a remake could be fucking great. The worst case is that it is average or merely good and you can pick it up in a sale or something. It's more zombies to shoot bullets at anyway which is a win in my book. 

I definitely think they can do a lot more with the story in a remake though. There's a shitload of lore in those Spanish hills.

I’m torn because RE4 is a masterpiece. One of the best games I’ve ever played. The idea that I might ever have to write out a post that says RE4 is disappointing fills me with dread and sadness. The idea that a generation of folks might know of it as something other than its majestic self.

I’m old. I don’t do change well.

It's one of the best games I've ever played too, but I'd happily play it again with the remake of 2 & 3's engine, focus on action and storytelling. If it turns out shite, it'll just disappear like the point break remake no-one remembers.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price...

I’m all for them giving it a modern control setup, as long as they tweak the enemies so it isn’t too easy. The original is amazing, but an updated version might work even better.

I’d much rather see that them recreating the original with updated graphics.

My guess is that they'll focus really heavily on the village area and the castle/island areas will be heavily cut down. The village is easily the most iconic section of the game and so I think that's where they'll put most of the effort. I just can't see the whole game being remade to modern production values. The variety in assets required would cost a small fortune...variety is one of the original's greatest assets but also a pain in the arse when it comes to imagining how a modern remake would work.