The time is finally here to talk about F1® 2020! We are very pleased to announce that F1® 2020, the official videogame of the 2020 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP™, will release worldwide on Friday 10th July 2020 for PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including the Xbox One X, Windows PC (DVD and via Steam), and, for the first time, Google Stadia. 

In the season where Lewis Hamilton can equal the World Championship record of seven wins, we're also celebrating the career of the current holder with a Michael Schumacher Deluxe Edition which comes with exclusive content and three days early access.   

_My Team - Be the 11th Team on the Grid_

My Team is a major new mode for F1® 2020, and a first for the F1® franchise.  Alongside the well-established career mode of the F1® games, you’ll be able to experience F1® 2020 as a driver-manager, and it’s going to offer you a unique insight into the world of F1®! 

For the first time, players can create their own F1® team by creating a driver, then choosing a sponsor, an engine supplier, hiring a teammate and competing as the 11th team on the grid. Build facilities, develop the team over time and drive to the top.

That’s not all though. Whether you’re playing ‘My Team’, or our traditional Career mode, we’re giving you more flexibility with your season lengths, and you’ll be able to choose between the original and full 22 race season (including Hanoi Circuit and Circuit Zandvoort), or shorter 10 or 16 options.

_Two-player Split-Screen_

For social play with friends, two-player split-screen makes its welcome return, so you'll be able to show off those skills against your sibling or fight for first place with your friends. 

_Customisable Settings_

We're also adding a host of different options designed to help those of you new to F1® games and adjust the challenge to match your expertise. These modes are in addition to the core F1® and F2™ racing experiences which remain as challenging as ever for those who love the intensity of simulation racing.

_The Michael Schumacher Deluxe Edition_

With the Deluxe Schumacher Edition of F1® 2020, you'll get to drive as the legendary German driver Michael Schumacher himself in four of his most iconic cars (which you can check out below!) You'll also receive exclusive content including themed car liveries and driver customisation items, including a unique podium celebration. 

The four cars included in the F1® 2020 Deluxe Schumacher Edition are:

1991: Jordan 191 

1994: Benetton B194 

1995: Benetton B195 

2000: Ferrari F1-2000 

Not only that, to celebrate the Seventieth Anniversary of Formula 1® itself, if you pre-order or purchase the Schumacher Deluxe Edition or the ‘F1® 2020: F1® Seventy Edition’ will receive an exclusive set of in-game items. A Limited Edition F1®2020 Steelbook will also be available in local markets via selected retailers. 

With this exciting news, we grabbed F1® Franchise Director Paul Jeal for a chat: “F1® 2020 promises to be our biggest and most innovative title to date.

“Our core players will welcome even greater gameplay depth with the introduction of our brand-new My Team feature, alongside three customisable season lengths which allows them to pick their favourite tracks. In the year where Lewis Hamilton is going for his seventh World Championship, we celebrate the greatest F1® driver of all time with our Michael Schumacher Deluxe Edition, which we know will prove popular with our community.”

“As huge fans of F1®, we continue to innovate and develop game modes that bring players even closer to the real-world sport,” said Lee Mather, F1® 2020 Game Director. “We’ve also added new modes to enable more casual players to get up to speed more easily, and we’ve brought back split-screen for social play with friends. The additions reduce both the difficulty and time barrier to entry while retaining the car handling that our simulation players love.”

• Upvote 2

The 11th team sounds like a great idea so kudos to them for that. 

Who knows, I hope they pull it out the bag. 2019 is a very good looking game. Can't fault them there. If they could put more effort into the FFB and handling I recon they could have a pretty nice package here. 

'The additions reduce both the difficulty and time barrier to entry while retaining the car handling that our simulation players love.”

That makes me think it's mainly going to be a lick of paint and new game modes with the core driving mechanic not changing much. Hope that is not the case.

Would love to buy this but (as with each year) holding out to see if they plan to support VR on PC.  Unlikely but always the optimist. 

Really missing not having an F1 game since 2016 but refuse to play in 2D.  

Looks like a good edition this year too.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Simbo said:

Would love to buy this but (as with each year) holding out to see if they plan to support VR on PC. 

I'd love it but I can't see it. I'd buy a PC just to play VR F1 if it was good.

18 minutes ago, Simbo said:

Would love to buy this but (as with each year) holding out to see if they plan to support VR on PC.  Unlikely but always the optimist. 

Really missing not having an F1 game since 2016 but refuse to play in 2D.  

Looks like a good edition this year too.

I played about with 2018 on the Xbox to get some Gamepass points. Using a wheel it’s really good fun, but yes it’s hard going back to “pancake” after you’ve played a VR racing game. I’ll never buy another non-VR racing sim.

• Upvote 2

Playing F1 a week or so before the actual races was a big part of my f1 actual race build-up.  I enjoyed getting really familiar with tracks before watching the race.  I really miss it.

I would even be happy with some half baked vr support / 'beta' opt-in.. Just as long as I could sit the cars and race.

Was hoping that the guys at SMS could bring some of their VR knowledge into codies.

Anyway, that's my annual rant over ... Don't want to buzz-kill the news for those that are genuinely excited.

6 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

It'll be out before the season starts!

Haven't bought one of these in years, have they been decent?

Decent is exactly it.

The biggest problem for me is how serious business you have to do the career mode.  If you don't participate in every session you get screwed on R+D.

Whereas I'd love to just qualify and race.

Shorter seasons might solve that quite well to a degree.

30 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Decent is exactly it.

The biggest problem for me is how serious business you have to do the career mode.  If you don't participate in every session you get screwed on R+D.

Whereas I'd love to just qualify and race.

Shorter seasons might solve that quite well to a degree.

Might be very short if it's based on this year :coffee:

• Upvote 1

Indeed, the game appears to be ignoring reality in that respect, which is probably good. But they're going to have to guess at relative team performance.

I wonder if there will be an option to play the original calendar or the actual calendar. Crowd options for races run behind closed doors. 

That reminds me of a nice little touch in Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix. Whenever you went testing at a track (i.e. non race weekend), there would be no crowd. Nice little touch for a game made in the early nineties. 

• Upvote 3

It's beaten to that one by Papyrus (iRacing)'s Indy 500.

No crowd for practice, in the popular grandstands for qualifying and then full for the race.

• Upvote 2

Off topic, but I’d love to see a VR remake of Crammond’s original F1 game. As a kid I’d play it the way @Simbo describes above, I’d do the race weekend in the game on the run up to the actual race weekend. The early 90s was an amazing time for a geeky F1 loving teenager.
Plus the flat polygons in VR would give it a 90s VR / Virtua Racing vibe. I suspect it would only sell one copy though!

The absence of VR in the Codemasters games really is a shame, my most memorable VR moment was the first time I loaded up Project Cars 2, jumped in a single seater and did a lap of Knockhill. It was mind blowing! The only additions that would make it more authentic would be a fan blowing cold air in my face and someone kicking me in the back every time I went over the kerbs...

• Upvote 5

Don't know if i can justify this. I have 17,18 and 19. Until VR, it will just be a polished 19. And I've seen VR setups for 19 using 3rd party software. Just haven't tried them out yet.

Also enjoying PC2 as well. 

You get two new tracks with Vietnam and Zandvoort compared to last year's game but I think I'll wait a few months. The last game was on sale on PSN a few weeks after release so I'll wait for that to happen again. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dudley said:

I for one look forward to Monaco2 as it will be known.

It still baffles me they went for Zandvoort. Assen would have been a much better option cost wise. There's better and more motorways to it, and you can park close to your grandstand. Plus, it's closer to where I live. :D 

image.thumb.png.ba7c93011f85ac5c9fedaf1d00707573.png

• Upvote 2

I realise it's a work in progress, but those graphics are starting to look a bit dated. Doing a side-by-side comparison with F1 2019, I literally can't see any difference. I realise graphics are not the be and end all for racers, but it would be nice to show off what the hardware can do these days.

32 minutes ago, tronied said:

I realise it's a work in progress, but those graphics are starting to look a bit dated. Doing a side-by-side comparison with F1 2019, I literally can't see any difference. I realise graphics are not the be and end all for racers, but it would be nice to show off what the hardware can do these days.

Well I'm absolutely a sucker for eye candy, but I'd rather they use the hardware as much as they can to get the most out of the simulation.

35 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

:o

Meerman's back!

Well let's not suck each other's dicks just yet. I won't be posting much.

Got 2 kids now so my gaming time is scarce. I mainly play Sea of Thieves on Xbox or Assetto Corsa on PC these days.

Yes, PC. I was shocked how much console racing games are neutered compared to their PC versions so I took the plunge.

• Upvote 4
Just now, Meerman said:

Aaaaand that's me gone again. :P

Haha! The soul of the F1 league is still alive and kicking even though some of the names have changed ad it's more casual. You should swing by some time. Bants and racing are good! 

Hope all is well. 

44 minutes ago, tronied said:

I think they have probably exhausted what they can get out of current gen.  Hopefully F1 2021 will show a good step forward on PS5/Series X. 

11 minutes ago, mexos said:

Haha! The soul of the F1 league is still alive and kicking even though some of the names have changed ad it's more casual. You should swing by some time. Bants and racing are good! 

Hope all is well. 

I've had a couple of hectic and eventful years, but all's well. 

I'll join you for the banter only, because I don't have the game. Plus my race setup is in my attic these days with the PC, can't be arsed to move it to the living room to hook it up to the Xbox if I had the game. :p

Unless it's cross-platform, then colour me interested.

27 minutes ago, Meerman said:

Well let's not suck each other's dicks just yet. I won't be posting much.

Got 2 kids now so my gaming time is scarce. I mainly play Sea of Thieves on Xbox or Assetto Corsa on PC these days.

Yes, PC. I was shocked how much console racing games are neutered compared to their PC versions so I took the plunge.

Ha, great to have you back, makker :)

I did notice you settled down over the last few years. Wouldn't have expected judging from your opinion on all that, say, 10 years ago ;)

And I've yet to take the plunge to PC - though at the moment the PS4 is keeping me/us well entertained with GT Sport, Wreckfest, DiRT Rally 2.0 and Assetto Corsa, in fact.

18 minutes ago, mexos said:

Hope all is well. 

8 minutes ago, Meerman said:

I've had a couple of hectic and eventful years, but all's well. 

I'll join you for the banter only, because I don't have the game. Plus my race setup is in my attic these days with the PC, can't be arsed to move it to the living room to hook it up to the Xbox if I had the game. :p

Unless it's cross-platform, then colour me interested.

Mexos is referring to our weekly online Gran Turismo Sport races with forumites, F1 journalists and other friends. You'd be most welcome there of course - but yes, it is all happening on PS4.

6 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

I did notice you settled down over the last few years. Wouldn't have expected judging from your opinion on all that, say, 10 years ago ;)

image.png.282103435b7f885a6a348e184ba1d613.png

"PS4? Yeah thanks, but no, thanks."

• Upvote 1