8 hours ago, Meerman said:

It still baffles me they went for Zandvoort. Assen would have been a much better option cost wise. There's better and more motorways to it, and you can park close to your grandstand. Plus, it's closer to where I live. :D 

image.thumb.png.ba7c93011f85ac5c9fedaf1d00707573.png

I heard (could be bollocks) that Assen were told of the modifications they'd have to make to allow F1 and pretty much told them to get to fuck.

49 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I heard (could be bollocks) that Assen were told of the modifications they'd have to make to allow F1 and pretty much told them to get to fuck.

You do not fuck smash my circuit.

• Upvote 1
On 01/05/2020 at 23:50, Dudley said:

I understood that Assen never was very interested in having F1 unless the FIA insisted on it and Zandvoort would not be an option anymore.

Zandvoort really wanted it, and did everything to get it. They had to spend a lot of money to basically rebuild the track entirely, improve the infrastructure, build more accomodations, etc.

Assen would have had to spend only a fraction of Zandvoort's money and be ready, but would rather not since the track had been revised a couple of years ago, plus the modifications would mean that the safety measures for the bike racing would have had to be altered. And since Assen is essentially a bike racing circuit at heart, they were not too keen on that idea.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching ‘Drive to survive’ on Netflix had me in the mood for some F1 gaming and I downloaded F12018 on game pass. Really enjoying it and F12020 has shot straight onto my list of games to buy over the summer. The newer F1 games seem like a big step up from when I last played one on the ps3. 

• Upvote 1

They're in the traditional long series problem of getting "better" every year but basically iterating the same idea.  Many of the problems and bugs with F1-2010 and the first hybrid on F1-2014 are still there and going away no time soon and they've got themselves locked into a career mode where you're forced to do a hell of a lot of boring stuff otherwise your car is shit.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2020 at 15:02, Meerman said:

I've had a couple of hectic and eventful years, but all's well. 

I'll join you for the banter only, because I don't have the game. Plus my race setup is in my attic these days with the PC, can't be arsed to move it to the living room to hook it up to the Xbox if I had the game. :p

Unless it's cross-platform, then colour me interested.

When the Series X one box X (stupid name) comes out, you'll be able to join right? Leave your own Xbone in living room and put the new one in attic yeah?

5 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

When the Series X one box X (stupid name) comes out, you'll be able to join right? Leave your own Xbone in living room and put the new one in attic yeah?

I don't think I'll be an early adapter, sorry. If I would upgrade to new hardware, I'd be a desktop gaming PC.

• Upvote 1

So here's the question I probably missed being answered in those trailers.

Can I create a team and play either online or split screen with 2 of us as the drivers for said team?

Daft question ...  If a game engine can support the processing power needed for split screen then surely you can do VR?  It's still two cameras rendering two view points just with two cameras on the same car and very close to each other.

I know that there is effort getting the menus and overlays working nicely in VR but the core problem has to be the dual viewpoint pipeline.

Maybe the screen refresh rate isn't there yet (72 or 90Hz are needed) but perhaps this is the first step on a path to eventual VR support, so I fully welcome the spilt screen support.

Always the optimist, but if EA can pull it out of the bag (never thought I would ever type those words) with Star Wars Squadrons then there may be hope for VR in F1 yet.

Edit: would also be happy with a 2 tier recommended pc spec: one for regular and another for VR.  Would very much upgrade my pc to play this in VR.

• Upvote 1

I get the sense that it's a commercial decision, not a technical limitation. 

Despite the brilliant Dirt Rally VR, Codies seem to have decided that the target audience for VR isn't big enough to warrant the development costs.

I really hope they change their minds though, as I love VR driving.

• Upvote 3

I agree with you that it's a more likely a commercial decision these days.

But I do wonder if things are starting to change slightly in the broader gaming industry ... If EA of all people found a way to make the business case for VR support them maybe there is hope yet for others to follow suit.

Edit: For some fun ... Here is what I would love to see assuming anything was possible.  It's based on watching the recent F1 2019 eSports and extending spectator mode so we could watching real races (live or afterwards).  Imagine we could get the GPS  car telemetry fed into a F1 game session where people could watch in spectator mode.  Would be great in vr jumping from car to car.  Unrealistic goal but wow, that would be a very engaging way to watch F1 and reinforce game sales.  (For the very small minority/segment that had a pcvr setup of course).

• Upvote 2

Ooh, interesting idea about watching coverage/replays modelled in VR. If they're capturing the race data like that, they could publish it (or at least qualifying) as 'ghost' data so players could compete against the real thing.

• Upvote 1

Deeper F2™ Integration

Choose from a full season, half season, or three-race F2™ experience, before getting started on your 10-season driver career.

We’re also adding the 2020 F2™ season as a free update later in the year.

Shorter Season Options

F1® 2020 is all about giving you more ways to play. One is the shorter season options. Choose between the original and full 22 race season (including Hanoi Circuit and Circuit Zandvoort), or shorter 10 or 16 options. Now you can focus on the tracks you really enjoy!

Rear-view mirror

Not only have we given you more options to play F1® 2020, we’ve also been listening to your feedback from previous games. This year, we’re introducing a rear-view mirror to help you race wheel-to-wheel against your opponents.

Customisable OSD

Want to move your circuit map somewhere else? Change where your rear-view mirror sits? Move everything to wherever you’d like on screen. The customisable OSD is now available on all platforms!

Simplified ERS

Based on feedback from F1® drivers, we’ve simplified the ERS to make it more realistic. All you need to do to activate it is press a button!

Podium Pass

New to F1® 2020, the Podium Pass allows to you Race, Earn and Unlock. Each season you’ll be able to unlock free customisation items by racing in your favourite game modes and earning XP. Custom cosmetic items include car liveries, race equipment such as gloves, overalls and helmets, and podium emotes. 

• Upvote 3

I always buy every other game (skipped last year) as I feel there isn't enough improvements to buy it every year. 

Looking forward to this one. Hopefully it gets some kind of next gen upgrade as well. 

There's just one more thing I'd like to see for this...

Spoiler

Cross-platform online mode.

Because seriously, why is that not standard in this day and age?

Not sure if I should cancel my cdkeys pre-order for this... if I am even able to.

I love the idea of racing F1 cars, but in practice my time with F1 2019 just felt like I was playing a rhythm action game.  The cars flow around the circuit so quickly there is no time for me to think, and I can't even fathom how people have close and safe racing with these cars.   Just not for me, I don't think.  I'm seriously loving racing the GT3 cars.

... although I've got Free Practice 1 on the TV at the moment so I'm likely to change my mind once I get back into the F1 season :D

4 hours ago, scoobysi said:

George Russell’s comments have peaked my interest but I’ll wait to see what the bug list is like and whether the handling/FFB has actually moved on.

Day One for a Codemasters F1 game is generally a bad idea. Wait 2-3 months for the patches to catch up, and pick it up at its tanked price

• Upvote 1

I have this day one (actually 3 days before due to Schumacher edition I think) on Xbox as it came as a deal with my steering wheel, the real question is if I can drag myself away from GT Sport.  Quite fancy a full season of F2 mind..