Crysis Remastered

Revival

Crysis is a confused mess. far cry is a better game. At least fc has a semblance of an open world. Crysis is more like a series of big COD/BF maps

C2 gives you powers and forgets to give you an opportunity to use them

C3 is everything C2 does dialled up to 11

AND THE GUNS ARE TOO BIG IN THE FOV

2 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Crysis is a confused mess. far cry is a better game. At least fc has a semblance of an open world. Crysis is more like a series of big COD/BF maps

C2 gives you powers and forgets to give you an opportunity to use them

C3 is everything C2 does dialled up to 11

AND THE GUNS ARE TOO BIG IN THE FOV

Ooookay. So... (not) worth it?

I replayed Crysis 2 on Xbox One BC during lockdown after buying it when it first came out, getting about halfway through, getting bored and giving up. I thought it was surprisingly good - to be honest, I only bought it because it was very cheap and wanted to revisit the NY environments. The 360 game looks very, very 2011, in that the visuals are absolutely drenched in post-processing and grain. It gives a very soft, noisy image, which I quite like - the noise fills in a lot of the gaps in terms of realism, so while it's hardly photorealistic, it looks quite rich and detailed, and gives a good sense of a living environment. That fuzziness is an interesting look in its own right, given that most games (and it seems most gamers) strive for absolute pin-sharp clarity, when it's not necessarily the only viable approach. The plot is total bobbins - weirdly so given that Richard K Morgan and Peter Watts were involved - but the game's body horror version of New York is interesting.

I enjoyed the gameplay too - it's repetitive, but the core of using your abilities to predator your way across various urban environments was quite fun. The aliens are much less fun to fight, admittedly. 

Crysis 3 had some great levels - that first bit where you enter the dome is incredible - but some absolute stinkers too. The final boss was so bad that I gave up - I couldn't defeat it, even when dropping the difficulty down to the minimum, and it put you so far back when you died that I just couldn't be arsed persevering.

2 hours ago, alex3d said:

Is C2 still a good game, gameplay-wise, in 2021? Is the trilogy worth it for a newcomer to the series? Good FPS gameplay or outdated?

They're amongst my favourite series of FPS games and I'm really enjoying going back through them. They're quite tactical games, especially on the higher difficulty levels. There are sections where it's far better to pick your way through the levels stealthily, making judicious use of the cloak ability rather than going in guns blazing, although there are plenty of those moments too.

If you've never played them before and you like a good linear shooter with tactical elements, I think you'll have a blast with them. The collection represents amazing value for money given the hours of play contained in the total three games.

18 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

They're amongst my favourite series of FPS games and I'm really enjoying going back through them. They're quite tactical games, especially on the higher difficulty levels. There are sections where it's far better to pick your way through the levels stealthily, making judicious use of the cloak ability rather than going in guns blazing, although there are plenty of those moments too.

If you've never played them before and you like a good linear shooter with tactical elements, I think you'll have a blast with them. The collection represents amazing value for money given the hours of play contained in the total three games.

Nice. Thanks you two.

10 hours ago, K said:

The 360 game looks very, very 2011, in that the visuals are absolutely drenched in post-processing and grain. It gives a very soft, noisy image, which I quite like - the noise fills in a lot of the gaps in terms of realism, so while it's hardly photorealistic, it looks quite rich and detailed, and gives a good sense of a living environment. That fuzziness is an interesting look in its own right, given that most games (and it seems most gamers) strive for absolute pin-sharp clarity, when it's not necessarily the only viable approach.

I had the exact same thought when watching the Digital Foundry breakdown of Crysis 2, even through the YouTube stream. I’m currently playing the Alan Wake remaster and it’s the same; very sharp, very clean, but it’s completely lost the ‘texture’ of the original game. There’s a film grain toggle in the picture options but at 4k it’s completely imperceptible, they clearly haven’t scaled the size of the grain in tandem with the resolution bump. 

DF regards both these remasters as big improvements but aesthetically I’m really not sure I agree. I feel like we’re overdue a rethink of how updates are approached for 3D games, similar to how we have various CRT-emulating filters for old sprite-based games. The recent Quake remaster got it right, you can play that in big fat chunky 320x240 pixel-o-vision and it feels so much more appropriate for the art style, even with all the other modern effects turned on. 

7 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I had the exact same thought when watching the Digital Foundry breakdown of Crysis 2, even through the YouTube stream. I’m currently playing the Alan Wake remaster and it’s the same; very sharp, very clean, but it’s completely lost the ‘texture’ of the original game. There’s a film grain toggle in the picture options but at 4k it’s completely imperceptible, they clearly haven’t scaled the size of the grain in tandem with the resolution bump. 

DF regards both these remasters as big improvements but aesthetically I’m really not sure I agree. I feel like we’re overdue a rethink of how updates are approached for 3D games, similar to how we have various CRT-emulating filters for old sprite-based games. The recent Quake remaster got it right, you can play that in big fat chunky 320x240 pixel-o-vision and it feels so much more appropriate for the art style, even with all the other modern effects turned on. 

Yeah, exactly. There seems to be an acknowledgement that 2D games sometimes look better with CRT filters and that older games were often designed to take advantage of the softness and blur of a CRT, but this doesn't seem to apply to 3D games, even if they were released in the pre-HD era. The developers of Halo: MCC have gone to considerable lengths to make sure Halo 1 & 2 look as close to the original Xbox release as possible, but the one thing they haven't done is probably the thing that would make the most difference in terms of replicating what the games looked like back in 2001 - 04: being able to adjust the resolution and make the image a bit softer, as you would have seen it at release. Quake was great, but I'd love it if it went even further and had a proper PC monitor filter.

You get this to a certain extent in film - I've seen Jackie Chan blu-rays with optional VHS rips as extras that replicate the way most people watched them back in the day, and obviously filmmakers use grain and sharpness as a way of recreating a particular aesthetic, rather than trying to make all films as sharp and as clear as possible. You don't really get this in games, apart from at the fringes of the indie scene. I'd love to see a game that used fuzz and grain as part of its look. Observation did this a little bit, in that it occasionally used a VHS / camera filter that looked incredible and made the game look nearly photorealistic, but for some reason didn't use it for most of the time you spent playing.

2 hours ago, K said:

I'd love to see a game that used fuzz and grain as part of its look. Observation did this a little bit, in that it occasionally used a VHS / camera filter that looked incredible and made the game look nearly photorealistic, but for some reason didn't use it for most of the time you spent playing.

Kane & Lynch 2 remains the only high profile swing in this direction I can remember, personally I thought it looked great but clearly nobody else agreed. Extreme clarity in games is a dead end, it's not how we think about 'good' photography, cinematography or even VFX and now we've reached the fork in the road where pixels are all but imperceptible I think we'll finally start to see developers follow. It does seem like there will always be a contingent of (mainly PC) players who insist on being able to disable any and all post-processing effects, though.

57 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Kane & Lynch 2 remains the only high profile swing in this direction I can remember, personally I thought it looked great but clearly nobody else agreed. Extreme clarity in games is a dead end, it's not how we think about 'good' photography, cinematography or even VFX and now we've reached the fork in the road where pixels are all but imperceptible I think we'll finally start to see developers follow. It does seem like there will always be a contingent of (mainly PC) players who insist on being able to disable any and all post-processing effects, though.

Didn't they do similar things in Max Payne 3? I seem to remember some fun stuff going on with that.

22 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I forgot about K&L2. The look and art direction of the game was incredible, and it still looks almost real in places - that cheap DV camera effect works perfectly with the Chinese slum aesthetic. The looped backgrounds on the title screen are beautiful, in a grimy, mundane kind of way. It's a shame it wasn't that great a game - I reckon the idea of games that deliberately fuzz up their visuals would have gotten a bit of a head start if the game bit of K&L2 had been a bit better. It wasn't bad, but the repetition combined with the thematic and visual ugliness and brutality made it a bit of a slog.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I fucking love Crysis. 

Well, I love almost all of Crysis. The end boss is a terrible, terrible thing, and the Ascension level is something that I might have approved of if it had been on rails and I was just shooting stuff (and by approval, I mean I'd have tolerated it because it does look pretty). 

Everything else is just awesome. 

The remastered version is still crap, and whilst I think the C2 and C3 remasters are probably the best ways to play the games now, on PC the original game will always be definitive (bugs and all).

I mean, look at this - original at top (obviously):

830344495_CrysisScreenshot2022_11.22-13_39_41.08copy.thumb.jpg.8f5518d359958fe29e46920cb83706a1.jpg

Bloody terrible. And - sure - the ray tracing might make the lighting more true to life, but it doesn't look half as good.

Anyway, everyone should buy a 4090 and play this, because we will never see its like again.

Never. 

No-one would be stupid enough.

I picked this up recently with the trilogy as the c2/3 remasters only just went up on steam the other day now the egs-exclusivity has wore off.

Not that long ago I had gotten about halfway through the original version on pc before having to give up as it was ctd'ing every 20 minutes. Played fine otherwise.

With the new version.....I can see why some people dislike the visual changes - personally I have no strong opinion, find it no better or worse for the most part, just different. TBH I more notice the improved performance and stability for modern systems, whole thing feels much smoother. I will say the RTX seems totally pointless though, doesnt really seem to add anything other than the odd reflection. Oh, and forcing you to stand up whenever you use the powers hotwheel (in a stealth game) is fucking dumb.

But yeah, by todays standards it certainly feels a bit ideosyncratic, but you can really feel the dna between this and the modern open world shooter. That said, personally I never had any issue with the direction the sequels took in that regard and since the remasters of those are supposedly much better, I am looking forward to revisiting them. Well 2, I never actually played 3! 

Tell you what though - I'm very glad I was playing both the original and the remastered at the same time. Because, even on a 4090 that fucking aircraft carrier section at the end absolutely fucking sucks balls. 

The remastered version is absolute bliss in comparison, and actually makes good use of the ray-tracing and all that stuff! It was thoroughly enjoyable to be out on the deck, shooting that big fuck in the face in 60fps compared to what I can only think was 15 at times.

So, final opinion - play the original Crysis on a 4090 for 2/3rds of the game. Switch over to the remastered for the last bit and you're good to go.

Man, I'm wasting my life...