IGNORED

Gangs of London (Sky/Now TV)

gospvg

New series on Sky/Now TV.

Tells the story of London being torn apart by the turbulent power struggles of the international gangs that control it and the sudden power vacuum that's created when the head of London's most powerful crime family is assassinated.

1 minute ago, Silent Runner said:

Skys drama output has definitely improved in recent years - Save Me and Save Me Too are proper good. 

they do put some decent stuff out, but the things I'm typically more interested in end up on Atlantic, not Sky 1. They usually do a decent job appealing to the channel demographics which is why I'm always suspicious of something being shown on Sky1

11 minutes ago, Gotters said:

they do put some decent stuff out, but the things I'm typically more interested in end up on Atlantic, not Sky 1. They usually do a decent job appealing to the channel demographics which is why I'm always suspicious of something being shown on Sky1

As someone who hasn't had Sky for ages, I had genuinely assumed that Sky One had been renamed Sky Atlantic at some point.

7 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'll give this a go as have a very low quality bar for any brit gangster stuff, but much like ITV I regard anything being shown as Sky1 as a strong indicator that its idiot tv.

It's on Cinemax in the US if that helps, home of Banshee, Quarry, The Knick.

11 hours ago, Gotters said:

I've just started the first ep of this, at the start it's shown the Sky Atlantic ident rather than the Sky 1 one? 

Have they moved it, had a rethink maybe?

12 hours ago, multi said:

I've just started the first ep of this, at the start it's shown the Sky Atlantic ident rather than the Sky 1 one? 

Have they moved it, had a rethink maybe?

This is a weird one. This has got Sky Atlantic branding all over it on Sky's website, but Atlantic has always been for US series.

So you're right, looks like Sky switched it fairly late on.

On 23/04/2020 at 13:24, McFly said:

Youre dead on. The pub and basement fights in ep1 are brutal and....creative.

Have you watched any more of this? Those bits were great, but the other 80 minutes of episode one were a bit of a struggle. Everybody seemed to be doing a generic personality-less mumbling tough guy. The ending made me want to watch more, but wondering if there's enough in the other episodes to make it worthwhile.

12 hours ago, Wiseguy said:

There are Raid quality action scenes in every episode, and they’re very varied. There’s an episode that takes place in the Welsh countryside that is absolutely insane. 

I recommend sticking with it.

I was already loving it... and then I hit episode 5. I can’t ever remember watching an episode of anything on TV quite like that. It’s such a self contained section of the story but delivers a set piece to rival anything The Raid movies produced.

Its actually unfair to Edwards and the rest of the people behind this to limit comparisons to The Raid movies because there’s is so much more going on here. From sweeping scenic shots to some really great and sometimes funny character moments, there hasn’t been a wasted scene in this for me.

No idea how they top what just happened but I look forward to having my head blown off when they do.

On 25/04/2020 at 13:28, Wiseguy said:

There are Raid quality action scenes in every episode, and they’re very varied. There’s an episode that takes place in the Welsh countryside that is absolutely insane. 

I recommend sticking with it.

Ok ill get to it soon enough ta.

I'm just over half way through and I'd say yes it is trash, but mixed with some glorious action. It is glaring which episodes and sequences are directed by Gareth Evans. If I'd just fast forwarded to the fights I'd have missed nothing, it was just bobbins. Everyone seems completely miscast and hamming it up immensely.  The plot is what you'd expect from an action film, but when there's hours of it to make up the running time rather than minutes it really isn't an enjoyable experience.

Episode 5 which I've just watched is clearly going to be the highlight, but that's mainly due to the absence of most of the main cast and it being wall to wall action.

I'm persevering for the action, but its hard to recommend.

5 minutes ago, pledge said:

I'm just over half way through and I'd say yes it is trash, but mixed with some glorious action. It is glaring which episodes and sequences are directed by Gareth Evans. If I'd just fast forwarded to the fights I'd have missed nothing, it was just bobbins. Everyone seems completely miscast and hamming it up immensely.  The plot is what you'd expect from an action film, but when there's hours of it to make up the running time rather than minutes it really isn't an enjoyable experience.

Episode 5 which I've just watched is clearly going to be the highlight, but that's mainly due to the absence of most of the main cast and it being wall to wall action.

I'm persevering for the action, but its hard to recommend.

Thanks. I out as I've got a thousand other shows to finish off

18 hours ago, MardiganX said:

No idea how they top what just happened but I look forward to having my head blown off when they do.

I’ve watched every episode now and I think 5 is the best. Unfortunately it goes downhill from there. The characters in episode 5 are quite interesting and seem to have a good backstory, but the rest of the show doesn’t delve any deeper. 

It’s a shame, I think the season could’ve ended at Episode 5.

Also, as was mentioned above, the main cast and plot is the least interesting.

Regarding episode 4 and 5:

The camera movements, choreography, stunts and practical effects were all top notch

Spoiler

But there seemed too much shooting. In both episodes if was just a line of people walking forwards with seemingly endless magazines. It's meant to be OTT, but this verged on the ridiculous. I much prefer the hand to hand fighting.  Respect to the dad taking that many in the back and continuing walking though.

So I'm not entirely negative - the shot where the camera dropped through the roof following the guy jumping down the other hole was magnificent.

20 hours ago, pledge said:

Regarding episode 4 and 5:

The camera movements, choreography, stunts and practical effects were all top notch

Hide contents

But there seemed too much shooting. In both episodes if was just a line of people walking forwards with seemingly endless magazines. It's meant to be OTT, but this verged on the ridiculous. I much prefer the hand to hand fighting.  Respect to the dad taking that many in the back and continuing walking though.

So I'm not entirely negative - the shot where the camera dropped through the roof following the guy jumping down the other hole was magnificent.

Everything to that point was beautifully shot and then that moment just dialed it up a level. Amazing work!

23 hours ago, Wiseguy said:

I’ve watched every episode now and I think 5 is the best. Unfortunately it goes downhill from there. The characters in episode 5 are quite interesting and seem to have a good backstory, but the rest of the show doesn’t delve any deeper. 

It’s a shame, I think the season could’ve ended at Episode 5.

Also, as was mentioned above, the main cast and plot is the least interesting.

It goes very much downhill. There's hardly any action after episode 5 at all. Like all the stunt people packed up and went home. I mean there's some violence and torture, but basically the only good bits of this show are in episode 1, 4 and 5.

37 minutes ago, pledge said:

It goes very much downhill. There's hardly any action after episode 5 at all. Like all the stunt people packed up and went home. I mean there's some violence and torture, but basically the only good bits of this show are in episode 1, 4 and 5.

I guess those must be the episodes Evans directed.