IGNORED

Choice paralysis

FiveFootNinja

On 23/04/2020 at 14:11, FiveFootNinja said:
  • Forget my endless "watchlists" on every provider known to man, and instead write up shortlist on my notes app containing the one thing I'm most interested in next from each genre/medium. e.g. pick one TV sci-fi I want to watch next, one TV drama, one action game, one RPG game, etc... Then when I do have some spare time the choice becomes "which of these experiences am I in the mood for?" not a sea of endless thumbnails.
  • Be more brutal. If I start watching/playing something and I just isn't clicking then I'm going to try and put it down sooner rather than later (and possibly come back in case I'm just not in the mood then). If it happens again abandon it. Currently I'm guilty of sticking with things for a while and then even if I don't end up clicking with it I feel compelled to finish it to not have wasted the 5-8 or so hours it's taken to get there (I'm looking at you Quantum Break). 
  • Force some variety. I sometimes get sucked into single experiences and binge them. For example if I start playing a game I like I'll often just play that one each spare moment I have until it's done and then move onto something else. I'm going to try and have a few things on the go so I have things for different moods/genres to swap between and - in theory - know what I really want there and then.

@FiveFootNinja I notice you've got a Twitch channel in your signature - have you ever considered doing an "I Play My Pile of Shame" series of streams or YT videos? It might lend some structure to working through stuff and be a fun creative outlet, if that's your sort of thing.

10 minutes ago, PK said:

@FiveFootNinja I notice you've got a Twitch channel in your signature - have you ever considered doing an "I Play My Pile of Shame" series of streams or YT videos? It might lend some structure to working through stuff and be a fun creative outlet, if that's your sort of thing.

It's a good idea.

I flirted with Twitch a while back, partly because a friend of mine started getting into it in a big way and I was supporting her early on (she's now doing some stuff for Ubisoft). But I rarely stream/record anything now. My YT channel is basically just a set of my Bloodborne boss fights and some early Driveclub stuff from what I can remember. :) 

Funnily enough I did have an idea a while back about doing a blog site/YT channel about Dad gaming. After my son was born I starting seeking out less time-intensive pick-up/put-down experiences (essentially Rocket League) rather than 100+ hour RPGs or endless PvP and thought a place that could review things in that context might be something other people found useful. I just never found the time to start it and I'm slowly getting some of my free time back now so addressing that aforementioned pile. 

I'll give it some thought.