IGNORED

Straw poll: Which PS4 game to play next?

FiveFootNinja

Straw poll: Which PS4 game to play next?  

122 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

This has motivated me to get Spider-man, is the Game of the year edition worth the extra tenner for someone who isn’t interested generally in side quests?

Imo the DLC is absolutely not worth it and nowhere near as good as the main game. Again, imo. Not worth it.

Thanks rllmuk. Spider-man was a great shout, exactly what I needed.

I ended up getting drawn into a 3 hour introduction session late last night and loved every minute of it.

Insomniac did such a great job of capturing the essence of Spider-man (much like Respawn did with Star Wars in Fallen Order). Great fun.

All the are solid games. It depends which of the following best draughts you, IMO:

If you want TLoU with more action, then GoW will fill that need.

If you like comics then Spiderman is the best comic book game ever. The DLC is worthy, but not as amazing as the main game.

H:ZD is like a post-apocalyptic Mass Effect, with worse characters but better combat.

Enjoy Spiderman, but definitely try GoW as well.

I assume you have played the Yakuza games? Yakuza 0 is a masterclass in combining a tight open world game with a strong narrative.

I think it's a good idea to start with either Spider-Man or HZD out of those three. GoW is a good break between those two sandbox experiences to avoid sandbox fatigue. All excellent games, well worth playing before PS5 arrives so you don't miss out on how amazing they all look.

@BossSaru Ha, your break down of each game has just made me want to play them all more :) Not tried any Yakuzas yet but heard good things. I looked at Zero on Game Pass but wasn’t really in the mood for Triads just now.

@Mr. Gerbik That’s the order I’m planning. Basically this list, Death Stranding and Until Dawn (maybe Uncharted 4 just to finish it off) are my PS finale games.

I love my Xbox but objectively just this shortlist alone is a simple case study of how good PS have been on exclusives this generation.

Just to throw in my tuppence too late:

Spider-Man offers the best moment-to-moment gameplay (and, obviously, traversal), but is also the most 'generic openworld' of the set in terms of quickly turning into a map of Things To Do, and (for me) felt like it offered the least satisfying progression. That's partially because Spidey's most entertaining ability is his movement, and you essentially have all you need for The Best Time from the start; partially because the story is generic Spider-Man and so holds no twists; and partially because, unlike the other two games, the environment, though gorgeously-rendered, isn't all that exciting to uncover unless you've somehow never seen NYC before.

Horizon: Zero Dawn has a very enjoyable world to explore, and uncovering the backstory is fun. The hunting gameplay is also a lot of fun on higher difficulties, though the arena battles can sod off. It takes itself too seriously for a game about robot dinosaurs, and the traversal mechanics feel too limited for the sumptuous, expansive environments, but it offers good impetus to carry on throughout from the gradual drip-feed of new story, environment and abilities.

Dad of Boy has extremely enjoyable combat, but for me just overstayed its welcome - not helped as it, like HZD, takes its own story far too seriously, and the whole 'linear narrative with endless walking down disguised one-way-paths interspersed with lengthy in-game cut-scenes' school of game design is antithetical to my enjoyment. Your mileage may vary on that one, of course.

With that, I'd have (just) opted for HZD first, as for me its combination of gorgeous environment and somewhat compelling backstory uncovery/exploration make it the most satisfying start-to-finish experience.

I've still to get to HZD but I loved playing Spiderman (starts poor, gets great, watch out for standard OW filler but better then most of its type). Dad of War starts great, dips, gets great but feels like a chore to the point I'm thinking of giving up on it, I didn't care for the combat or the rpg wannabe upgrades filler. It gives the illusion of exploration but it's just not there.

Between those 2, Spiderman has the most 'heart' so I'd go with that :) it is a proper fun game and the traversal is superb, only botw beats it in terms of that.