Retro Gamer 206 (The lockdown issue)

This is the perfect time to subscribe to RG not only is it a steal at the price the subs are but it means more money goes back into RGs pockets and it shows Future how much you want this magazine.

One of my favourite magazines ever made and I hope it never ever ends.

2 hours ago, Ketchup said:

This is the perfect time to subscribe to RG not only is it a steal at the price the subs are but it means more money goes back into RGs pockets and it shows Future how much you want this magazine.

One of my favourite magazines ever made and I hope it never ever ends.

And I feel we should mention at this point Future just murdered Xbox Mag, PC Gamer and PS Mag are both down 20% year on year.

And that's before all this.  RG, like PCG has just lost 16 pages.

If you want it, buy it. Otherwise don't be surprised if there isn't an it.

4 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Hopefully it won't...there's always going to be new content :) 

I think it's fucking wild that Half Life 2 is on the cover of a retro magazine. We're not the young un's anymore are we? :(

Half Life being featured in this issue is analogous with Manic Miner being featured in issue 1. Just saying.

Yeah if you take it as being Half Life 1, which seems fair, it's 21.5 years old.

The first issue of RG was in late 2003, when Manic Miner was 20.3 years old.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Yeah if you take it as being Half Life 1, which seems fair, it's 21.5 years old.

The first issue of RG was in late 2003, when Manic Miner was 20.3 years old.

My favourite for this is Vice City: set in 1986 (semi-officially); released in 2002; and now 16+2.

Darkplace is also as far in the past now as 1988 was then.

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

And I feel we should mention at this point Future just murdered Xbox Mag, PC Gamer and PS Mag are both down 20% year on year.

And that's before all this.  RG, like PCG has just lost 16 pages.

If you want it, buy it. Otherwise don't be surprised if there isn't an it.

Does anyone here know how/if reading magazines via a free library pressreader subscription translates into any sort of revenue for the publisher?

I know this probably isn't the place for it but I'm a bit frustrated with my subscription now that Future has taken over.

I went a six month stretch without receiving my magazine (when I took this up with subs they replaced two of the issues leaving me to find the others at newsagencies.)

I've just renewed for a further two years despite issue 202 not being delivered.

I went to change my delivery details (I had changed my delivery to my work address days before the pandemic and need to change this) and....my details just arne't there when I log in. It's just blank.

I sent an email to subs and got an automated response that I would need to change my details through the portal...which is not showing my sub details.

In the meantime I've sent off an order for the missing issue and 206 which is probably sitting miles away on works doorstep (not Futures fault so I'll eat that) and yep, that went through fine.

I know it's first world problems but I'm going to be annoyed if I have to buy each issue one by one as they come out given my new sub starts at 207.

2 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

I know this probably isn't the place for it but I'm a bit frustrated with my subscription now that Future has taken over.

I went a six month stretch without receiving my magazine (when I took this up with subs they replaced two of the issues leaving me to find the others at newsagencies.)

I've just renewed for a further two years despite issue 202 not being delivered.

I went to change my delivery details (I had changed my delivery to my work address days before the pandemic and need to change this) and....my details just arne't there when I log in. It's just blank.

I sent an email to subs and got an automated response that I would need to change my details through the portal...which is not showing my sub details.

In the meantime I've sent off an order for the missing issue and 206 which is probably sitting miles away on works doorstep (not Futures fault so I'll eat that) and yep, that went through fine.

I know it's first world problems but I'm going to be annoyed if I have to buy each issue one by one as they come out given my new sub starts at 207.

Sorry to hear you're having issues. We work really hard on the mag and it's frustrating to hear about issues like this because they're completely out of our control.

You mentioned an automated response when you contacted subs. Was it this one? Because this is what we've been given out to those having issues at the mo.

http://future-publishing.msgfocus.com/k/Future-Publishing/subs_customer_service_coronavirus_form

stay safe

Thanks for that. I couldn't get onto any page that looked like that. I'll give that a try.

edit Thanks @strider, was able to see my details at last! It seems despite what I asked for the address has defaulted to my home address so if I end up with two issues of 206 I'll send one off to a friend.

Thanks again for responding to what's really a first world problem type thing in this crisis.

Happy to see this is still going, even if the last issue I actually read was around 110  or so? I only finally got around to cancelling my sub last year due to moving though, so still have a massive pile of magazines in some boxes. Perhaps I'll get around to reading them one day.

Anyway, despite losing pretty much all interest in retro, it's still nice to see this around - it was always a magazine produced with some heart, even when I didn't particularly enjoy the theme or focus of some of the content. There's a strange satisfaction that you are still the editor, too @strider; in my head you are the poster-boy for retro now, through the work you've done on the magazine. Keep up the good work!

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

There's a strange satisfaction that you are still the editor, too @strider; in my head you are the poster-boy for retro now, through the work you've done on the magazine. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words.

Apparently I'm the longest-running editor of any UK games magazine. You can either see that as a tremendous achievement or an example of my complete inability to move on within the company :lol:

@Lorfarius  I think that's what makes it so special - the reality is that it is such a niche magazine but it is so well put together, if somebody told you it sold hundreds of thousands of copies, you'd believe it.

I agree that we'd unlikely see anything similar if RG ended.

3 hours ago, MoFo2 said:

Will overseas subs receive their copies?

We've received an email saying overseas subs are now starting to go out again, so hopefully you'll receive it shortly depending on where you are.

12 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

Just ordered my first copy of Retro Gamer! I don't know why I haven't read it before as I play a lot of retro stuff, and have always enjoyed reading about @strider's collecting adventures. Looking forward to it.

That's great to hear, I really hope you enjoy it and it's nice to know you follow my collecting shenanigans.

Retro Gamer is easily the best job I've ever had and reading the nice things I've read over the last few posts, makes me glad I decided to proof a little more of the magazine tonight rather than play some more Panzer Dragoon Saga.

15 minutes ago, Parappa said:

@strider do you know if new subs will get this months issue or will it kick in from next months? thanks and keep up the amazing work! 

There's a delay unfortunately. It's highly likely that the pass point for 208 has now been reached, so the first issue you'd receive is most likely going to be 209. Best to buy it from www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk for the time being.

Just set up a DD sub for the digital version.

Would love to start collecting the print edition (I've always loved a glossy magazine) but I don't have space for any more physical things and I'm happy enough to read on my iPad :)

On 25/04/2020 at 04:54, partious said:

Does anyone here know how/if reading magazines via a free library pressreader subscription translates into any sort of revenue for the publisher?

I think/hope that Readly translates a payment directly to publishers based on pages read or something. So hopefully that they some decent money for things like Readly, particularly as the set costs of me reading it on Readly are basically zero (no postage, printing etc.).

I think digital magazines benefit from the Government's elimination of VAT on digital books/news later this year so that may also assist in either getting a better return for digital copies or lowering the digital price and attracting more customers.  Currently, the digital price of most magazines seems to be set at a level that you may as well get the physical copy but perhaps this is a result of VAT on digital but not on physical.