Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

So the Series S is getting 60fps then.

Graphics/Performance Mode Introduction

Added an option to the game that allows players to choose between Performance or Visual Quality.

Feature breakdown:

• This option is available for Xbox Series X|S & PlayStation5.
  • Choosing Performance allows the game to adapt the resolution and graphic settings to maintain 60 FPS.
  • Choosing Quality enables the game to run maximum resolution and graphic settings while maintaining 30 FPS.
  • Default values since the launch of the game are as follows:
  • Xbox Series X / PlayStation5: Performance
  • Xbox Series S: Quality

And they've addressed screen tearing on Series X|S -

(Xbox Series) Improved experience on Xbox Series S | X consoles including screen tearing

There was a very off putting tone in this game (shit writing) in regards to the main story earlier on in this. Before Sigurd left with Basim for a while everything was great, we were all pals and chummy and brothers and Avoir was fine with this as they were going off to build bonds. I see them again and Avior is now acting like a bit of cunt as soon as he sees them towards them for no reason whatsoever and nothing has happened in the games story for his view to drastically change. 

12 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

So the Series S is getting 60fps then.

And they've addressed screen tearing on Series X|S -

I love the AC games but i'm glad I don't play them day one. Unity was a good example of this with its many bugs at launch. A month or so later and it was patched up fine.

16 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

This game must be doing something right, I’ve put in 60hrs in 2 weeks :) 

:blink:

I mean, I put in a total

of 200hrs to completion in Odyssey. But what’s your percentage like? Is there a percentage progression?

@Ry That bit stuck out for me too.

I'm at 52 hours with 65% completion. It's great, but it's too long, it would have been better as a standalone Viking RPG without all the brotherhood tripe and it's too long.

I'm also seeing more bugs the longer I play and the quality of the voice acting dips dramatically at times.

It's also too long.

43 minutes ago, SeanR said:

:blink:

I mean, I put in a total

of 200hrs to completion in Odyssey. But what’s your percentage like? Is there a percentage progression?

I’m fully completing every area before moving on, it’s like an OCD thing. Spent an hour fishing last night just to get 5 small brown trout for a quest with no reward whatsoever. I get a weird satisfaction from a ticked box. Just started Cent, plenty more areas after that, maybe half way?

4 minutes ago, grungekid said:

60fps mode on series s makes massive visual compromises as expected. And some weird visual bugs too such as polygon warping on the ground for me where there are mud tracks...

I'd guess that's tessellation detail shifting, which happens so close to the player I almost feel it would look better without it. You get the same 'boiling' effect on the XSX and PS5, too.

Briefly tried the 'Quality' mode in my lunch break, which oddly requires you to restart the game on XSX. It looked a little cleaner, possibly with higher shadow detail, but nothing worth halving the framerate over; I'd say the game already feels somewhat spongy at 60fps.

I've updated (xbox 1x) and the progress stopping bug in the sons of ragnar quest is still there.  Really annoyed by this as it was reported to ubi 3 weeks ago and there is loads of merely cosmetic stuff in the update :angry:

Have been levelling up on side stuff so I am tough enough to do the lundun pledge quest line instead but means illl be doing a 90 power area ahead of completing the second 20 area and the 55 area.  

22 hours ago, Ry said:

There was a very off putting tone in this game (shit writing) in regards to the main story earlier on in this. Before Sigurd left with Basim for a while everything was great, we were all pals and chummy and brothers and Avoir was fine with this as they were going off to build bonds. I see them again and Avior is now acting like a bit of cunt as soon as he sees them towards them for no reason whatsoever and nothing has happened in the games story for his view to drastically change. 

I’m still really early in the game but noticed something similar when Sigurd leaves your settlement to find the brothers and leaves you in charge, telling Dag to follow your orders.  Dag makes a comment that he’d rather do something I can’t remember than follow your orders.  Where’d that come from?!  All he’s done all game until now is follow your orders, we just raided our first church and he was happy following orders then.

10 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

I've updated (xbox 1x) and the progress stopping bug in the sons of ragnar quest is still there.  Really annoyed by this as it was reported to ubi 3 weeks ago and there is loads of merely cosmetic stuff in the update :angry:

Have been levelling up on side stuff so I am tough enough to do the lundun pledge quest line instead but means illl be doing a 90 power area ahead of completing the second 20 area and the 55 area.  

Attacking higher region areas is more fun anyway. It actually requires you to be an assassin.

This game seems to be worse than Unity for bugs. I've currently got two quests that are just broken. One of them is well known with a key not spawning that you need to access a room while out looking for an artifact and the other is when someone arrives in your village. They just got stuck walking to their house.

Also if someone distracts you during a blue side quest voice over you can be screwed out of knowing what you need to do.

I'm loving the game overall but it's rough.

Yeah, bit unimpressed with this patch so far, definitely seeing some tearing still (though less than before) and had my first full lockup last night after clearing Walden. When I rebooted the game it had auto-saved, which was good, but put me outside the town with the quest still being "Escape Walden". Wandered around for ages thinking I needed to get far away from the town but in the end it only completed when I went back into the town then out again <_<

20 minutes ago, The Bag said:

I’m still really early in the game but noticed something similar when Sigurd leaves your settlement to find the brothers and leaves you in charge, telling Dag to follow your orders.  Dag makes a comment that he’d rather do something I can’t remember than follow your orders.  Where’d that come from?!  All he’s done all game until now is follow your orders, we just raided our first church and he was happy following orders then.

Dag was set up in Norway as an antagonist in cutscenes / in the story, pretty much when he was first introduced. A peer of Elinor’s that thinks he should have been left in charge and that Elinor has been getting too big for her boots.

During raids and the like it isn’t as though arbitrary Viking number two is any different from arbitrary Viking number three anyway.

(I think I’ve got to the Basim bit mentioned above in oxfordshire? If not, then it might be the story plays out differently depending on order, because I can see perfectly well why there’s a conflict brewing in my version of the game. And, again, it’s foreshadowed in Norway).

30 minutes ago, footle said:

Dag was set up in Norway as an antagonist in cutscenes / in the story, pretty much when he was first introduced. A peer of Elinor’s that thinks he should have been left in charge and that Elinor has been getting too big for her boots.

Interesting, I read the stuff in Norway more as some friendly back & forth - "another fine mess you've gotten us into" scooby doo style shit.

8 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Interesting, I read the stuff in Norway more as some friendly back & forth - "another fine mess you've gotten us into" scooby doo style shit.

I probably would have except I was looking for the antagonist in the ranks cliche :)

Aside, it’s worth occasionally having the “tell a tale” mode turned on during sailing trips.

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Attacking higher region areas is more fun anyway. It actually requires you to be an assassin.

This game seems to be worse than Unity for bugs. I've currently got two quests that are just broken. One of them is well known with a key not spawning that you need to access a room while out looking for an artifact and the other is when someone arrives in your village. They just got stuck walking to their house.

Also if someone distracts you during a blue side quest voice over you can be screwed out of knowing what you need to do.

I'm loving the game overall but it's rough.

Yeah, I did the oxfordshire raids last night even though I am a way below the suggested power level and it was good that it was a little tougher.  Did get killed by a zealot though at one point.  Going to start Lunden properly tonight I think

Agree that it will be good to play more in the traditional assassin way, this series has moved too far from its original style for my liking

6 hours ago, The Bag said:

Yeah, i noticed that part as well. Just wait till you get to the part im talking about. Its jarring as hell. Terrible writing on Ubisofts part. 

4 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Yeah, I did the oxfordshire raids last night even though I am a way below the suggested power level and it was good that it was a little tougher.  Did get killed by a zealot though at one point.  Going to start Lunden properly tonight I think

Agree that it will be good to play more in the traditional assassin way, this series has moved too far from its original style for my liking

You could still play it the Assassin style if you bumped the difficulty right up. Im not. Im a vicious bad bastard viking and i dont use stealth whatsoever. I think thats why im enjoying it so much. 

On 27/11/2020 at 13:26, carred said:
  Hide contents

I feel this is a way to link it to AC3

It's there because Vikings did actually settle there for a short time. And because the devs seem think they had to include absolutely everything they found out about Vikings in the game.

Anyway, I liked that section. It's a change of pace.