Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

After installing the latest patch last night the game keeps crashing my Series X today (Done it 4 times), as in turns it off completely.

Other than once on Sniper Elite 4 these are the first crashes I have encountered and not liking it one little bit.  Anybody had anything similar?  

Had one crash today and found out in the process it (again) hadn’t saved in the last two hours so I lost all that progress. I’m getting very fed up with this now. Quick Resume in particular seems like it causes endless problems with this game, specifically with it failing to auto save. 

It has messed up my game full stop.  I can’t get more than 5 minutes play without it crashing my Xbox (Turning it Off completely).

It is just Valhalla it has a problem with, so definitely the patch and I am seriously pissed off by it, as I am 80% of the way through the game, was enjoying myself playing it and wanted to get it completed.:angry:

1 hour ago, Waggo said:

It has messed up my game full stop.  I can’t get more than 5 minutes play without it crashing my Xbox (Turning it Off completely).

That sounds bad, I haven't seen anything like that. The save problem I've been having is definitely linked to Quick Resume (I've seen it in the past, but it seems worse with this patch) and I think the one lock-up I had was connected to that (it tried to auto-save and just shit the bed completely). Shutting down your Xbox completely is very extreme.

I know.  I have done a hard reset to see if that would help, but it didn’t, looked up on the internet to see if it is a common problem but it’s not.  

The Xbox is fine with everything else so that is not the fault, so really not sure what to do next.

Would reinstalling the game lose all saved progress?

No, you won't lose any progress - all saves are automatically backed up to the cloud (by default as with all Xbox games, and also in this game through Ubisoft Connect I think). Your saves will just be there next time you load the game up, on this or indeed any other Xbox!

Worth a try I guess. The only time I've seen something similar was when Star Wars Battlefront 2 would regularly hard shutdown my One X, but that was definitely caused by a patch, confirmed by others, and was fixed a while later. It's almost always an overheating thing - is your Series X vertical and does it have plenty of space around it?

I'm pretty sure it's to do with Ubisoft's cross-platform cloud save system. When you're online, all saves get uploaded to their system and will be available on any platform you play Valhalla on (notwithstanding that there are probably very, very few people that play this game on multiple systems...)

But when you Quick Resume, it doesn't connect to the service properly - as can be evidenced by Reda's shop or other player's uploaded photos giving communication errors. From that point, it's a crapshoot as to whether your old saves appear or not, or whether you'll be able to save at all, or whether your current saves will disappear next time you connect properly.

It's been evident intermittently since launch - they even disabled Quick Resume for a while, which obviously worked around the issue - but it's back with a vengeance since the last patch. I can't believe it's affecting their other titles as well. What an absolute shitshow. It's not like they haven't been adding microtransactions to the in-game store on an almost daily basis since launch, of course...

Well I reinstalled it and did keep my saved progress so cheers for that as I was well worried about losing it.  It seems to be margianlly better in that I managed to get half an hour play before it crashed, compared to the 5 minutes I was getting previously.  It is definitely the game though and not the Xbox as I was playing other games without issue for 4 or 5 hours last night.

Anyhow I found the below this morning which confirms there is an issue with the latest patch, and that Ubisoft will be looking to resolve it next week.

https://screenrant.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-crashing-issue-patch-incoming/

So hopefully that will sort it.

And I'm now encountering a delightful glitch at 41hrs in and on the Oxenfordshire quest arc. Where quest markers are no longer appearing. Said markers are supposed to be pointing me to where there are supplies to destroy and enemies to kill. 

This is annoying. 

57 minutes ago, cassidy said:

And I'm now encountering a delightful glitch at 41hrs in and on the Oxenfordshire quest arc. Where quest markers are no longer appearing. Said markers are supposed to be pointing me to where there are supplies to destroy and enemies to kill. 

This is annoying. 

If I remember that mission correctly it gives you some vague location clues but does not actually mark them.  It might also be one of the rare points in the game where you actually need to use your bird to find stuff.

There are also some other points where you are deliberately not pointed directly at targets but once you have destroyed some of them in the area the remaining few have those blue chevron type markers above them.

Well I've now progressed to the point of completing the Cent arc. And I have hit the game breaking bug during the quest A   brewing storm. 

I have a save from midway through the Cent arc but it sounds likely that it will still be broken. 

So that's me now waiting for Ubisoft to fix this bug that has been known since November and hasn't been fixed yet. Yay Ubisoft. 

In better news my earlier save means I  can just stop progressing Cent as I know I can't complete that and start the next arc and just try the other quest lines instead. 

So that's me exploring Vinland now.  So I can still enjoy the game and hope Ubisoft pull their finger out and sort this bug. 

• 4 weeks later...

@Thor @Opinionated Ham Scarecrow

Hi guys - sorry to call you out but didn't want to scour thread due to spoilers but just got this in PC today. I had an inkling the HDR was fucked before but didn't know if it was fixed - after Odyssey which had amazing HDR this just looks dark and dull. Did you guys turn it off or keep it on and mess around with settings? On OLED C9

6 hours ago, Uzi said:

@Thor @Opinionated Ham Scarecrow

Hi guys - sorry to call you out but didn't want to scour thread due to spoilers but just got this in PC today. I had an inkling the HDR was fucked before but didn't know if it was fixed - after Odyssey which had amazing HDR this just looks dark and dull. Did you guys turn it off or keep it on and mess around with settings? On OLED C9

I stopped playing, not because of the HDR, I just tired of the game. I think I left HDR on in the end, but it's definitely a duff implementation.

3 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

@Uzi No matter what changes I made to the in game settings, the attempt at HDR genuinely looked worse than just leaving it off to my eyes, so off it went.

Thanks guys - left it off and yep - HDR off looks more like HDR than leaving it bloody on

• 4 weeks later...

How ducking long does it take to check for add-ons!?!

is it a ruse to make you buy them because you think it’ll be quicker loading?

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Picked this up a few days ago. The last AC game I played was Odyssey which I loved.

This is all very drab and humdrum by comparison so far.

the last AC game you played was the previous one?

I mean normally that sort of phrase is used when a mighty old chunk of the series has been missed, and you’re just returning to it for the first

time in years.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

Picked this up a few days ago. The last AC game I played was Odyssey which I loved.

This is all very drab and humdrum by comparison so far.

I felt similarly at first but there are some positives. I'm about 50 hours in

1: It does get a lot better - just focus on the main quests where you move from area to area to make alliances - some of the storylines are pretty good and some of the things you get up to are fun questlines 

2: Don't focus on side content too much like raids/finding gear etc - its easy enough to get OP without them through the skill tree alone - some of the mini side quests (the light blue markers) are genuinely funny and really short - take a few mins at most but tell cool little tales

3: Don't play it as your only solo game/all in one go - there is a tonne of content here - the main quest is very bulky and I broke up my recent playthrough to play Mafa Remastered (10 hour game) which was a nice break and came back to Valhalla to enjoy it more

It really is a bit of a different beast to Origins and Odyssey - I think the game has a bit too much content overall which is a shame as some of the main quest stuff is genuinely good