Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

HarryBizzle

And done. Well 2 of 3 main arcs. Still have to hunt down all the OoA.]

That story is utterly bonkers. Requiring you to remember things from 70 hours ago in a cutscene, or 2-3 games ago. It's amazing how much they expect you to remember the 30min of modern story in a 100 hour Ubisoft openworld fest :D

Spoiler

So the ISU were the Asgard gods?

The Asgard/Johtenhiem stuff was just Enivor interpreting it in way he could understand right?

And Odin throughout the game was just Odin trying to dominate/control his new host/body? 

And now Loki's in the present somehow as Basim? That's fucking weird.

Done all the collections in each area but feel a bit silly looking at achievement list now - there's some real hard oddities in there I'm probably not going to do.

Regarding OoA

Spoiler

Surprised only 1/2 down by the end. In Odyessy you'd got basically all of them - but then every sid equest villain turned out to be one.

They've not really explained the OoA as much as Kult so not as engaged in hunting down.

The only notable NPC left to be leader is Alefred (unless it's a real curveball like Rhandi for example) - but I can't tie that in with what happened earlier)

100%ed Druids as well. Not sure if I'll do Paris. I assume it's the same thing - same basic gameplay in a new setting? Doesn't add much?

I think I've been told Isle of Skye is worth doing now post game as it adds some stuff to context?

9 hours ago, Hexx said:

100%ed Druids as well. Not sure if I'll do Paris. I assume it's the same thing - same basic gameplay in a new setting? Doesn't add much?

I think I've been told Isle of Skye is worth doing now post game as it adds some stuff to context?

I thought Wrath of the Druids was great but I hated Siege of Paris, it is pretty much exactly more of the same with some really annoying new mechanics (rats) and some of the worst Allo Allo acting I've heard in a game. I'd probably have liked it more if I'd taken a break from the game before tackling it.

Isle of Skye though is brilliant and well worth playing, especially if you've played Odyssey and its DLC.

Skye was ok - shame it would have meant more if I’d been female in Odyessy 

Latest patch bugged the order of ancients so they’re all dead but I’m a medallion short. Ubi forums full of people in sane boat.

Probably wise or Id be tempted to put in time to grind out platinium 

• 2 weeks later...

After a 100 hour or so playthrough on Odyssey I've started playing this and quite enjoying it so far. A few hours in this and just did my first raid and fought a few parts of the main story, just off with my brother on a fresh adventure. I quite like the combat it is very early so I suspect it will feel different as I power up, cetainly did in Odyssey. Happy to say I've not seen any modern stuff yet, not even at the start.

I bought Ragnorak and the main game in a deal on Amazon but then caught a sale over the weekend for a season pass so have everything installed, ready to go. Any starter tips? So far from the weapons I really liked the axe and shield, the chance to deflect a blow then bash their heads in is always fun. Dual axes felt a bit too exposed for my liking. I can't believe how good it looks, Odyssey was amazing but this is awesome up close.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

After a 100 hour or so playthrough on Odyssey I've started playing this and quite enjoying it so far. A few hours in this and just did my first raid and fought a few parts of the main story, just off with my brother on a fresh adventure. I quite like the combat it is very early so I suspect it will feel different as I power up, cetainly did in Odyssey. Happy to say I've not seen any modern stuff yet, not even at the start.

I bought Ragnorak and the main game in a deal on Amazon but then caught a sale over the weekend for a season pass so have everything installed, ready to go. Any starter tips? So far from the weapons I really liked the axe and shield, the chance to deflect a blow then bash their heads in is always fun. Dual axes felt a bit too exposed for my liking. I can't believe how good it looks, Odyssey was amazing but this is awesome up close.

Combat wise you'll evolve a great deal from the early hours. Towards the end you'll have so many skills and abilities that affect the combat you'll be able to do some pretty impressive moves and combos. 

Regarding the Season Pass and Ragnarok expansion, don't worry too much about them just yet. 
The first DLC has a minimum level requirement of 55 if my memory serves me right, so you won't be able to start that quest line until then. I do recommend starting (and completing) it as soon as possible, though, as waiting too long will make the entire Ireland journey far too easy of you're lvl 100+

The second DLC has a lot higher lvl requirement, I think it was 220? Again, don't wait too long before starting this. 

Ragnarok is meant to be played after you've rinsed the main story and have reached a minimum of lvl 300. 

Each DLC/expansion has unique characters, armor sets and weapons. My personal favourites all came from France (second DLC), but that's just a matter of preference. I was so over powered when I got the Ragnarok expansion that I refused to use the kit I was rewarded with there. 

• 3 weeks later...

No matter how hard I try I can't do the parry on Xbox. I'm 24 hours in and it feels useless. I started going right up to the screen to get the timing down but even after the yellow flash then swing of the weapon nothing happens. There's a level 20 fight with Goneril who seemed nigh on impossible, in the end I kept dropping the difficulty, trying to learn to parry but no matter how many attempts I do it never pays off. I'm currently level 70 🤣

7 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

No matter how hard I try I can't do the parry on Xbox. I'm 24 hours in and it feels useless. I started going right up to the screen to get the timing down but even after the yellow flash then swing of the weapon nothing happens. There's a level 20 fight with Goneril who seemed nigh on impossible, in the end I kept dropping the difficulty, trying to learn to parry but no matter how many attempts I do it never pays off. I'm currently level 70 🤣

Yeah, the dodge button is far better to use, especially in combination with the skill that slows time down when dodging an incoming attack. Makes combat a

lot easier as well as a tad more interesting.

48 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Yeah, the dodge button is far better to use, especially in combination with the skill that slows time down when dodging an incoming attack. Makes combat a

lot easier as well as a tad more interesting.

I spent a good hour earlier trying to nail the parry but I give up. I was lucky to get 1 out of 8 strikes with it not working. I don't think that's user error, just seems so unforgiving and thought my pad was broken at one point.

Just hit level 100 and 30 hours in. Sort of realised that you get so little XP from the side quests its feels a bit pointless to do them, as soon as I switched to focusing more on the story I started levelling up like crazy. Now I have 3 ability bars the combat seems a lot easier and managed to find a wolf. Got 4 pledges down so far and about to start a 5th.

I completely missed they'd added a free roguelike mode to this last month, it sounds quite substantial too. Anyone played it yet?

I think I might get Ragnarok at half price too, I've had a few months' break from this game now and it doesn't seem right to leave it "unfinished". Glad they are bringing it to a definitive close though with that additional bit of DLC they've announced, it's ended up as one of the biggest games ever and it does feel like it needs a conclusion to enable people to move on.

Storywise I'm up to the part where Siggurd is off hunting for some mad woman.

Spoiler

Wanted to go back to my camp and try to clear some other stuff so I decided to have a go at the Seer hut and Asgard. I must have spent 5 hours on this part today and christ on a bike its sossoooo boring. The characters just appear with no sort of backing info and I was proper confused that I'd missed loads in the main story but after some quick Googling its just meant to be like this. No matter what choices I made it never has anything of interest to share so was really plodding through the conversations.  The wolf fight was probably the most interesting part but it seemed to be a few hours of wandering around a dull, empty map before the final fight with the builder. 

That bit looked pretty good but the thing with his hammer and knockback was silly,if it wasn't for my shield I'd have died so many times. Having to get thrown up in the air then quickly take shots to his head on a pad was a bit of a nightmare but I pushed on and finished it at level 115. Whole section is done now and I'm glad to go back to the main story!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone played the new update? I hit level 193 on Sunday and decided to respec some bits. Been using the shield and axe (still vanirs!) but went for two handed spears. I've that Spear of Longinus in my inventory for ages, even though it had attack of 77 it looked really weak.. then I started using it. Good lord I've been wasting my time with the axe! I'm now using this with a sepulcher one instead. I've turned into a whirling mass of death as I mow down enemies so quite happy with those.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now over 100 hours - finished the Ireland DLC which I thought was great.  A decent standalone story and some amazing scenery.

Back in England now, mopping up the last members of the order, and then saw just how much more there is to do.  I'm at level 365 - it's absolutely colossal. 

1 minute ago, Mawdlin said:

I do like this game a lot, and have plans to go back to it after a 3 month break. It is the equivalent of overeating junk food though. (Arguably most Ubi open world games are).

New DLC due soon so worth hanging on a bit more before diving back in.

Yeah I see what you mean - I took a break from it for a good few months.

I'm really enjoying it but it suffers a bit from repetition, something I didn't feel as much with Odyssey.

Haven't played Origins though, tempted to give that a go now it's on Game Pass.  Is Origins 60fps now?

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

Haven't played Origins though, tempted to give that a go now it's on Game Pass.  Is Origins 60fps now?

Yep. I tried going back but really struggled, the brightness and bloom effects during the day was almost blinding at times. Messed with the settings loads but oculdn't get on with it, felt really basic as weel compared to the follow on games.

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I don't give a shit about the modern day segments - whenever I'm playing those parts, I want to rush through them so I can return to the past.

They're pretty irrelevant in these games apart from what goes on in the Fate of Atlantis DLC for Odyssey, and stuff that happens at the very end of Valhalla. Those bits are pretty good (and important for the future storyline of the series). It's entirely possible to just ignore it all though.

4 hours ago, Boothjan said:

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Yep. I tried going back but really struggled, the brightness and bloom effects during the day was almost blinding at times. Messed with the settings loads but oculdn't get on with it, felt really basic as weel compared to the follow on games.

3 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Odyssey is by far the best of the three games, and the modern day plot isn't strong enough to compel you to play them in order.

For what it's worth, I agree with Garwoofoo here that Odyssey is the best game of the lot. 

Origins is rather shorth, though, and a full playthrough can be as short as 20 hours or so if you mainly focus on the main missions. Compared to the two newer games it is a bit basic, mind, as there are no dialogue choices and the scenery does get on a bit after a few hours. 

And while I do agree that Odyssey is the best game overall, my favourite Assassins Creed moments of all times mostly happened in Valhalla. 

• 2 weeks later...

Played the Isle of Skye story arc yesterday.  Had absolutely no idea this was going to happen - just playing along as usual then - WHAM!

Spoiler

It's only fucking KASSANDRA!!!!!

I did an actual fist pump - the little nods to her backstory from Odyssey were awesome.

I knew she was in the game, but I thought it was in Ragnarok so it was a massive surprise when she turned up here.

Absolutely awesome bit of fan service.  And as ace as Eivor is, no-one is going to compare to Kassandra.

Approximately 110 hours down now - almost killed all of the order members, done the Ireland DLC, still have the France one to do.

The scale of this game is astonishing.  

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing the Dawn of Ragnarok expansion for Valhalla and I think it's shit. It's basically another 20-30 hours of exactly the same activities you do all the way through the main game, but now it's in a bullshit made-up fantasy world so it doesn't even have the historical tourism aspect. The landscape is full of mountains and lava pits so it's a pain in the arse to traverse, and although they've given you the ability to transform into a bird now they've also limited it so much that it's barely worth having. The storyline and cut-scenes are worse than ever and the whole thing just seems really tired. I might just have to ditch the expansion, go play the final chapter thing they added a week or so ago then declare this game done.

As an aside, I am getting really sick of the bullshit puzzles in this game, it's truly ridiculous the amount of wooden shacks I've come across where I've had to shoot an arrow through a window at precisely the right angle to destroy a door lock, where any self-respecting Viking would have just smashed their way in with their axes. It seems like almost every armour upgrade or valuable is hidden in this way.