Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Mechanically it does look better than Odyssey to me, albeit not drastically. Main reasons I say this:

• Fodder enemies seemed less spongey and finishing moves were a lot swifter; Odyssey's canned animations go on far too long. Think they've added some hitstop to give attacks more weight, too, although it was hard to tell given the general jerkiness of the footage.
  • Whilst I don't come to the series for open conflict, the stronghold assault looked a lot more interesting than the last game's conquest battles; you could help with the battering ram, take out people on the walls, go behind enemy lines to free prisoners to fight with you or seemingly open gates from the other side. Not saying it looks thrilling, just better.
  • Seems like there will be fewer equipment sets which you can choose to upgrade piece by piece, which should mean your inventory isn't constantly overflowing with trash you have to sift through.
  • In the leaked footage the player could take fall damage, so perhaps there will be some consequence to traversal. (Not holding my breath for a stamina system.)

We should get some official footage from Ubisoft's Forward event on Sunday the 12th.

Nah, I'm so excited for this, mainly for the setting.

I don't get all of the previews saying it's no Egypt or Ancient Greece - although perhaps I'm biased. I was born in Norwich and grew up with an interest in the dark ages and medieval Norfolk history so I'm absolutely buzzing about the setting.

Can't wait to explore the world they've crafted.

I’m sure this is fine but I can only play one Assassins Creed and one Far Cry game every seven years.

Mostly because they’re all in the same and can get incredibly tedious after the first 50 hours, but also because that’s how long it takes to finish them.

The lighting in this is really weird from the footage I've seen. Everything is too dark in the foreground and seemingly only backlit. Hopefully will be fixed on final release.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

I’m sure this is fine but I can only play one Assassins Creed and one Far Cry game every seven years.

What was the last AC you played? Origins and Odessey are fairly large departures from the prior games.  They share plenty of common elements but they've shifted much more in the action RPG direction.  Odessey was actually a good v1.5 of Origins.  Valhalla might be a good v1.75 :)

2 hours ago, AI1 said:

The lighting in this is really weird from the footage I've seen. Everything is too dark in the foreground and seemingly only backlit. Hopefully will be fixed on final release.

Yes it quite ugly. It's probably going to get a reshade mod less than a week after launch. 

3 hours ago, monkeydog said:

What was the last AC you played? Origins and Odessey are fairly large departures from the prior games.  They share plenty of common elements but they've shifted much more in the action RPG direction.  Odessey was actually a good v1.5 of Origins.  Valhalla might be a good v1.75 :)

Last one was/is Odessey. Loved it at first, having a break and might go back to it one day.

The one before that was Black Flag which Odyssey still feels quite similar to. Less Mr Robotesque modern guff though thank goodness. Wish they’d drop that altogether.