Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Fuck me, the facial animations really are awful. 

Why have they got worse since AC Unity? 

I know that game was ahead of its time but they really are not good.

I’ve got it free as a promo with the Ryzen chip I bought, loved Odyssey, and find anything involving building up a home/base over time a really compelling gameplay hook, and yet yeah, feel similar. It looks painfully bog standard, really difficult to get even vaguely excited about it. 

7 minutes ago, spanx said:

I’ve got it free as a promo with the Ryzen chip I bought, loved Odyssey, and find anything involving building up a home/base over time a really compelling gameplay hook, and yet yeah, feel similar. It looks painfully bog standard, really difficult to get even vaguely excited about it. 

Ditto. But it’s free, and I doubt I’m buying any games on series x launch day, so... new console launch day playing on pc

18 minutes ago, footle said:

Ditto. But it’s free, and I doubt I’m buying any games on series x launch day, so... new console launch day playing on pc

Well I was well up for this and Cyberpunk, but the lack of a decent graphics card, this being bang average looking and all the furore around CDPR... bah I don’t even know. If it’s serviceable on a 970 I may give it a bash. 

Or I may just keep sinking hours in to Slay the Spire and Hades. 

6 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I’m assuming I’d be better off buying either Origins or Odyssey the next time it’s on sale?

Odyssey is a solid 8 or 9 out of ten thirty hour game straining to escape a 60-80 hour one. But yeah I loved it overall. 

Interesting video. Some of the positives such as gear feeling worthwhile and less of the cookie cutter Ubi stuff seems good. 

im still on odyssey finished all the cult of kosmos hunts. And the world and protagonist have been such a joy to play and explore. 
This seems to have the whole problem that black ops has. It’s there but totally lacks the refinement and polish that raises them up and makes you want to invest well hundreds of hours in. 
could be the effects of covid or just rushing to get the yearly cash cow milked. 
I’ll still get this but odyssey is a tough act to follow. 

31 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Iv cancelled my order based on that video. 

Every time there's an Assassins Creed game a load of Youtube videos are published about how it's not as good as previous ones.

Odyssey was crap because it wasn't Origins.

The world isn't as <whatever> as RDR2.

They're easy clickbait.

No need to preorder, and I'd wait for reviews (unless you've got a free Ryzen copy), but I'd not entirely write a game off simply because of youtube previews of about 1/10th to 1/30th of the content. "Game is kind of ok" != advertising revenue.

Not buying it because of Ubisoft - entirely different matter.

41 minutes ago, footle said:

Every time there's an Assassins Creed game a load of Youtube videos are published about how it's not as good as previous ones.

They're easy clickbait.

There's a bit more to it than that. :rolleyes:

42 minutes ago, footle said:

They're easy clickbait.

No need to preorder, and I'd wait for reviews (unless you've got a free Ryzen copy), but I'd not entirely write a game off simply because of youtube previews of about 1/10th to 1/30th of the content. "Game is kind of ok" != advertising revenue.

Not buying it because of Ubisoft - entirely different matter.

I'm going to rent it for 8 quid instead! 

I found the mechanics around the Cultists in Odyssey extremely tedious by the end of the game so the talk of more of them in the Roadmap trailer makes me happy for this to be the first AC game I've skipped at launch for a while. Origins and Odyssey were great but I've gone back to replay the series starting with the Ezio trilogy instead while I wait for this to come down in price. I preferred the more focused games compared to the huge worlds to spend ages travelling across explore with barely anything interesting to look at along the way. 

Odyssey was a curious mix of shit game and great game.

And the same goes for how it looks. Stunning environments, shit character design, scripting and performances. It also felt hugely dissatisfying as the sheer amount of stuff to do was overwhelming (to me). But despite how that sounds I think I enjoyed playing through it.

This however looks like the perfect storm of a cross generational title that needs to hit its release day; despite the departure of its creative lead, and a lack of time in development due to covid.  Shame as I grew up in KIng's Lynn and was looking forward to murdering a few people there :)

Paris seems like a weird place to set DLC:

- they’ve already done it

- is it that different from London in 800AD or whenever this is set? Both of them are basically unrecognisable from today; whereas your Romes were in full swing.

Kind of amazing that they're starting PR for the season pass before making a convincing argument for the game itself.

It looks incredibly dull. Origins was wonderful. Odyssey was good but with too much grinding, busywork and an idiotic plot, this just looks bland as anything.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fully Aspel said:

Apparently, Ubisoft have now confirmed that, the next gen versions of this, will just be the bog standard PS4/Xbox One versions running at 4K/60fps with nothing added. Well shit!

What were you expecting?!

2 minutes ago, Uzi said:

The resolution and framerate don't count?

Of course they do! As long as you’re aware, that may be the only benefit you’re getting and you’re ok with that then,  it’s all good!

Problem is, there is a lot of footage on YouTube and in that footage, it’s hard to tell what format the game is actually running on. It seems quite misleading to me. Many people, especially those who’re buying a Series S/X, are building this game up to be the title that will unleash their next gen consoles true power, and really show their machine off.

If it does end up being impressive then great! However, if it doesn’t and it just ends up being a higher res, higher FPS current gen version then, a lot of people will be massively disappointed. 

Just thought it was worth bringing that to people’s attention. I was thinking about getting a copy on PS5 but I’m not bothering now, at least not until Ubisoft have shown the game off properly and made it clear what you’re actually getting for your money.

7 minutes ago, footle said:

What were you expecting?!

Something more next gen than just a 4K/60fps version of a PS4/Xbox One game? Something that at the very least takes advantage of the DualSense controller! 

Watchdogs Legion, another Ubisoft title, is 4K/30fps with Ray Tracing and makes full use of the DualSense. Something more along the lines of that or the PC version.

11 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

Many people, especially those who’re buying a Series S/X, are building this game up to be the title that will unleash their next gen consoles true power, and really show their machine off.

Where are these people? It’s a cross-gen Ubisoft game. I don’t think anyone was expecting it to be a next-gen showcase.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Crowley said:

Really disappointed at this. I was at least expecting the equivalent of the pc-version at high settings. Might go for Demons Souls or Miles Morales instead now.

The One X version is invariably the same as PC version at high settings. Except now 60fps.

the website Aspell is quoting doesn’t say what he says it does, anyway.